Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • One for the gardners/landscapers
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve got a small patio outside my ground floor flat that has a soil border all down one side. My intention is to cover it in wood chippings and stick a load of pot plants on there.

My question is: Do I need to put a geo-textile membrane down, before I put the wood chippings on? The ones I have found in Homebase say that they prevent the growth of weeds, but do they, realistically? Would I need to use a weedkiller?

tarquin
    Free Member

They do make a big difference.

Once you get a dandelion or similar rooted under the bark/wood chippings it is almost impossible to get rid of it.

The lack of light and protection of the soil afforded by the membrane virtually removes the ability for any weeds to grow.

mikey74
    Free Member

That’s kinda what I thought. So I guess that if I use a membrane, I won’t need to use weed killer as well?

tarquin
    Free Member

That’s kinda what I thought. So I guess that if I use a membrane, I won’t need to use weed killer as well?

Not unless there are existing weeds I wouldn’t.

Will you be cutting off 0.1m of soil anyway to take into account the level increase of the chippings etc, this would remove pretty much any weeds or give you the chance to eradicate them.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, I will have to dig down a few inches. However, I have nowhere to dispose of the soil, so I may have to do some “landscaping” with the arisings :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help.

mau00149
    Free Member

Worth taking out the 100mm of soil or whatever depth the wood chippings are to be. Stick a membrane down, helps stop weeds and also helps prevent contamination/mixing of your bark chips/soil shoudl you ever want to take them out. Wouldn’t do any harm sticking some weed killer down after taking the top soil off before the membrane goes down. Every little helps in preventing weeds!

Other option is stick wood chips over the top of everything and pick the weeds as they grow. Just requires more maintenance…

mikey74
    Free Member

Maintenance is something I am trying to keep to an absolute minimum 😀

KevinPP
    Free Member

The only problem with wood/bark chippings on top of a membrane is that they move around a lot easier. If you have any pets or are in a windy spot they would be better on the soil and just apply a weedkiller to any weeds. Even if you have to do it once or twice a year its not exactly high maintenance. The bark will break down over time anyway and help improve the texture of your soil ahould you ever change your mind and want to plant in it.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Spray some roof weed killer first then I’d recommend a double layer of membrane and double the thickness of chippings. That way you will get a easy life from weeds, but as has been said you will need to top up the chippings as it does break down over time.

mikey74
    Free Member

I don’t have pets, children, or live in a windy area, so the chippings moving around is not a problem.

Any recommendations for low maintenance plants to put on top?

Esme
    Free Member

Anything in pots won’t be low maintenance, as it will need regular watering, and be more susceptible to frosts.

Why not plant a few shrubs, with different colours of foliage? They really will look after themselves.

Also, some low-growing alpines could provide ground cover between the shrubs.

tarquin
    Free Member

Problem I forgot to mention last night.

Where I used to live I didn’t have any pets, but everyone else did. The cats loved to **** in my lovely barked borders.

mikey74
    Free Member

Where I used to live I didn’t have any pets, but everyone else did. The cats loved to **** in my lovely barked borders.

Perhaps I’ll put in a load of cacti: That’ll give them something to think about :mrgreen:

mogrim

Got to be said my cats do love the barked borders. If you can afford it (no idea of the cost difference TBH) and like the look, stones would be a better bet if you have lots of cats in the neighbourhood.

thepurist

Remember that over time those bark chippings will break down into a lovely rich growing medium for all the wind blown weed seedlings to grow in, so you’ll still get plenty of stuff popping up in there after a year or two.

As above, pot plants are not low maintenance – a few well chosen ground cover shrubs will be a lot less work in the long run. Just plant them through the membrane then apply the bark mulch over the top.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘One for the gardners/landscapers’ is closed to new replies.