Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • One for the fighter jet geeks
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Found this little gem on the BBC web site. You can see he is struggling when the pilot banks hard!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-41865869/the-f16-pilots-practising-for-war-with-north-korea

One thing I would love to experience.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Awsome. I’d love to have a go. A work colleague of mine is a aviation photographer and gets to ride in assorts of interesting planes. He’s been catapulted off US Nimitz carriers, flown in pretty much all fighter jets and all manner of military and rare civilian aircraft. It’s a great sideline for him.

flanagaj
    Free Member

A work colleague of mine is a aviation photographer and gets to ride in assorts of interesting planes. He’s been catapulted off US Nimitz carriers, flown in pretty much all fighter jets and all manner of military and rare civilian aircraft. It’s a great sideline for him.

I’m not envious in the slightest!

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Brilliant video, should be watched with full face on for full top gun experience

tomhoward

One thing I would love to experience

As a practice, with no risk of someone genuinely committed to killing you turning up, absolutely. I’ve done it in a spitfire, even at relatively low speed, the g forces are incredible.

Not a chance would I want to be in an actual war situation

Alpha1653

That is very very cool. I’d love to do that. My next door neighbour’s last job was lead engineer for the Red Arrows and his ‘desk’ was sat behind Red 1. He’s got some very cool stories!

shermer75
    Free Member

Loved that! 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not a chance would I want to be in an actual war situation

Absolutely. It is unfortunate that for mankind to do its best work it is usually in response to war or the threat of war. There is no way an F16 would even have been conceived but for war, but i’d take an F16 free world in exchange for a war free world any day. But the best way to tackle wars is to prepare for war in peacetime. Deterrent is the best form of preventing war – people only go to war if they think they can win. Nobody starts a war they don’t think they can’t win…..unless it is idealistically driven like the religious extremists who think they’ll be rewarded in the afterlife so value theirs and others real life less.

revs1972
    Free Member

I’d imagine it’s got a few more toys now , but its hard to believe that it was introduced 42 years ago

Kato

Incredible longevity isn’t it? The very last B52’s built are now over 55 years old and they’re expected to soldier on until 2045 😯

CountZero

Great video, interesting to see the compression vortices coming off the leading edge wing strakes and wingtips from inside the cockpit.

Incredible longevity isn’t it? The very last B52’s built are now over 55 years old and they’re expected to soldier on until 2045

Recently upgraded with internal rotary bombbays like the Buccaneer and external weapons pylons removed to give a much cleaner flying profile, with better performance and fuel efficiency.
    Extraordinary aircraft, to have such a long service history, the Canberra came fairly close, but sadly no longer in service.

Rich_s

…apart from the 3 MB-57s at nasa.

chewkw
    Free Member

Those F16s might have to face some of the SAM technology like these …
    Those SAM are fast … 😯
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8pKUOblEQc[/video]

downshift

Wow! Literally at the speed of a rocket…

aracer
    Free Member

Isn’t “dog fighting” kind of old fashioned?

hols2
    Free Member

Isn’t “dog fighting” kind of old fashioned?

Yes, they realized that in the 1930s and again then the 1960s.

slackboy

Whenever I see an F-16 I think:

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks

slackboy

[video]http://youtu.be/NCG1ee1EQ94?t=1m57s[/video]

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘One for the fighter jet geeks’ is closed to new replies.