Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • one for the Excel gurus
  • RS4KEV

Logic failure, can’t think my way through this one

I have to pull a figure from another spreadsheet based on a text value from a table. Example

TEXT VALUE

January £100
    February £200
    March £150 and so on

If this month is January then I want £100. In my 2nd spreadsheet I type “January”. I could do this with an IF command but it is going to have 12 variables so I assume there is a better way.

TIA

Kev

somouk
    Free Member

Could you not just take the last 4 digits from the cell if they always follow the format of MONTH £100?

RS4KEV

Thanks

My posting didn’t format very well. There is a column with text and then multiple columns with values. I need to be able to pick a value based on the text matching the entry on a separate page.

Hope that makes sense, maybe time to hit the coffee.

Kev

leffeboy

you want to take a look at the VLOOKUP command. It’s pretty much designed to do what you want. Take a look at this tutorial…

http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/excel-help/vlookup-what-it-is-and-when-to-use-it-RZ101862716.aspx

bails

Yep, vlookup is the answer there.

=VLOOKUP(resultssheet!A2,datasheet!A:B,2,FALSE)

in ‘ResultsSheet’A2 would contain “January”. As you copy the formula down it would look at B2 “February”, C2 “March” etc.

irelanst
    Free Member

To make things neater;

Assuming you will only ever enter the month into that cell then you can set up “data validation” which will give you a drop down list to pick the month from;

Data->Data Validation->Settings->Allow->List

If you use the month list from your lookup data as the “Source” input then you won’t have problems with typos.

RS4KEV

Thanks all, knew the collective would be able to sort that for me 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘one for the Excel gurus’ is closed to new replies.