Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • One for the dog people – too soon for a new dog?
  • mysterymove
    Free Member

Bit of a sore subject. 6 weeks ago we had to have our 2yr old springer put down – poor chap had some proper mental issues which we think lead to him getting rage (not nice)

I’ve told my other half that we should wait before getting another dog. We’ve really missed having him around the house and to make it worse just come back from Holiday and it really sunk in that he’s gone.

Is it too soon?
    If not what should we get? at the moment were erring towards a working cocker spanial – anyone got one?
    We need something that wont destroy the house (too much!) when were at work but can cope with being out all day biking / walking etc. also needs to be really good with kids and other dogs…

camo16
    Free Member

If you both want a new one, it’s not too soon.

Dancake
    Free Member

I have a Springer and a Cocker

Both fantastic dogs and a lot of fun. I have never had problems with chewing or destruction and we put that down to the dogs getting proper stimulation . They are never left alone for too long and get out a lot

good luck with your choice. Sorry for the loss of your other dog

xcgb
    Free Member

Very personal decision, you will know if its too soon, the fact you are looking at types suggests its time to me.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Go for it, why wait?
    We’re on our third working cocker and they’re brilliant. Happy to snooze all day but will run all day if given the option. Very obedient, no destruction (after the initial puppy phase when everything chews) and sleeps outside in a stable.
    She’s depressed now as she’s just come back from 5 weeks by the beach which was her doggy paradise.

…and no we don’t let her get on the table!!

geoffj

We need something that wont destroy the house (too much!) when were at work but can cope with being out all day biking / walking etc. also needs to be really good with kids and other dogs…

Good luck with that.

mysterymove
    Free Member

hmm your kinda confirming what i was thinking thanks!

Dancake – don’t worry, it gets my goat too! My Mrs is a teacher and I work all over so we have random working hours – this is why we have a dog walker if were due to be away from the house for more than 8 hours.

Sharkbait – she’s lovely thanks for the picture

anagallis_arvensis

No its not too soon

why get a working cocker? are they not very like springers?
    I’d get a lurcher, oh no wait I already did. Best dogs in the world bar none (as long as your not a rabbit).

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I think Flowerpower lasted, oh let me see, 1 WEEK! She said she’d wait till summer, 17yr old Megdog had to be put down just before Christmas, so Copdog arrived on Christmas eve eve…No regrets, love that dog.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Quite a different temprement I’ve found

trevron73
    Free Member

Get down the “Dogs Trust “i went about 1/2 a day thinking about it? then i thought Bhudda knows best, so went down to York and the first dog to show interest was Murphy ,i knew he was for us ,i have to tell you though i cry when i watch Marley and me (5 times still cry like a gay)

Inbred456
    Free Member

Just don’t tell the Dogs Trust you are out for 8hrs or you have kids. I’ve found in the past that if you put must be good with children the selection of dogs goes down to about zero. I think they are not willing to take any chances where children are concerned even if you have experience of the breed. Go for a lurcher. You get mongrel toughness and intelligence and you can leave them to sleep all day.

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

…i have to tell you though i cry when i watch Marley and me (5 times still cry like a gay)

Have you seen Hachi: a dog’s tale? Have the tissues ready.

emma82
    Free Member

I’d love to have a dog but it would be at home for 9 hrs a day alone. 🙁

If you both want a dog again then get one. My aunty lost a gorgeous lab very suddenly due to a heart condition when she was 4 years old. Within a week they had chosen another pup and they didn’t regret having her arrive 6 weeks later 🙂 It was more for my aunty who doesn’t work as she missed having company around the house. Nothing wrong with wanting one again straight away

br
    Free Member

No, Springers are crackers all the time while Working Cockers are just crazy when they want to be.

Good bike dogs too.

anagallis_arvensis

i have to tell you though i cry when i watch Marley and me (5 times still cry like a gay)

Have you seen Hachi: a dog’s tale? Have the tissues ready.

Have you seen Wendy and Lucy? I was in bits for days.

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

No, but I will do!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘One for the dog people – too soon for a new dog?’ is closed to new replies.