Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • One for the DIY gurus – circular saws…
  • ibnchris

Afternoon all

I have some 100mm posts I need to saw through for a garden project. My bow saw is bloody hard work and so I am thinking of getting a cheap circular saw from screwfix. It gets great reviews and only costs £35 but it also only claims to be able to saw through 66mm

Do you think I will be able to cut through one side easily and then simply turn it over and do the other? And therefore cut through nice and easy?

Appreciate it might sound obvious but wonder if anyone has any experience…

Thanks!

rwamartin
    Free Member

How accurate a cut do you need? If it is just a roughish cut I would get one of these rather than a circular saw.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb373rsp-1100w-reciprocating-saw-240v/80388

Rich.

newrobdob
    Free Member

If I were you I’d look at getting a mitre saw instead. Circular saws are really for cutting sheet materials. Mitre saw would be best just check its capacity. It’ll also be useful for doing angles for the fencing too.

newrobdob
    Free Member

If you want to stay manual get a decent normal saw rather than a bow saw.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve cut posts with a circular saw before. No issues cutting one side then turning it over and doing the other.

Mire saws are okay but if the posts are massive in length or thickness it’s often hard to get them in properly, a circular saw is only really limited by the power lead.

Sundayjumper

How accurate does the finished cut need to be ? It can actually be quite tricky to make the cuts on opposite sides match up exactly.

If it’s a mains powered saw it should have no trouble doing a ~55mm cut.

CheesybeanZ

If you want to stay manual get a decent normal saw rather than a bow saw.

+1
    use with a decent set square , you can get both from screwfix .

Murray

New hand saw – throw it away afterwards if you want.

Bow saw is the wrong tool

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

How many posts?

Also the last 2 Irwin saws I’ve bought have been dreadful, virtually unusable.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for a normal hand saw. Bow saws are for felling small branches.

2 for £10 at B&Q and I’ve had no issues with them cutting shelves, building walls etc (get the first fix / coarse tooth one unless you need a particularly neat cut, which I guess you don’t if you were happy with a bow saw!)

http://www.diy.com/departments/spear-jackson-panel-saw-l22/152626_BQ.prd

footflaps

I cut 5″ fence posts with a hand saw, very quick of the saw is sharp….

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

You could frame an entire stick framed house (eg 2×6 lumber with beams and posts bigger than your fence) with nothing more than a circular saw and a carpenters square. (Wel, add a tape, level, pencil etc.)
    A circular saw is exactly the right power tool for the job.

gummikuh

Shame he’s only building a garden project and not a complete house, S&J Predator all the way. As said 2 for a fiver.

trout
    Free Member

you dont need those new fangled lectrickery tools

[video]https://youtu.be/_3J5wkJFJzE[/video]

duncancallum

thats ace the hook joint on the roof is superb

glasgowdan
    Free Member

How many posts are you cutting?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I cut 5″ fence posts with a hand saw, very quick if the saw is sharp….

Yep, it helps if the posts are dry though.

This imo is by far the best value for money handsaw :

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cocraft-Handsaw/40-7177

It’s made by Bahco for Class Ohlson. It’s basically the Bahco 244 handsaw but with a pale blue handle instead of a dark blue handle, and it’s even cheaper – the Bahco 244 itself is excellent value for money.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘One for the DIY gurus – circular saws…’ is closed to new replies.