Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • one for the commuter\daily riders- padded shorts
  • rp16v
    Free Member

I’m commuting 25 miles a day 5 days a week plus sometimes extra miles on road(different shorts for MTB) just started using bib shorts currently switching between endura extracts and equips team with endurance pad in better weather and thermolights long bibs throu winter all super nice to ride in
    Just wondering how many pairs of shorts a regular commuter would have/go throu in a year

whitestone
    Free Member

Depends on the quality of the shorts, some only seem to last a couple of months, others just keep on going. I’ve three or four pairs on the go at any one time of varying ages so hopefully only one will die at any one time.

At this time of year I’ll use bib shorts with leg warmers as it tends to be cool in the mornings but warm for the evening commute so bib longs would be fine in the AM but too warm in the evening and vice versa for bib shorts. My commute is about the same as yours – assuming you mean 25 miles is the total not one way.

rp16v
    Free Member

Yeah about 12 ish each way more if I have the time
    I tend to run quite hot anyway so the longs only come out when it gets Baltic cold lol
    May pick up another pair of extracts to share the load abit

whitestone
    Free Member

Don’t wear one pair day after day if you can, you need to wash them regularly to avoid bacterial build up which can lead to saddle sores.

eshershore
    Free Member

If commuting 5 days a week then 5 pairs of quality bibs are worthwhile as an investment. As well as some chamois cream which can only make the experience more pleasant.

Good quality bibs will easily last a season or longer. Cheap ones are a waste of money.

rp16v
    Free Member

Have never felt the need for cream as never had any sorness while riding have been doing this route for a year but only just changed to bib rather that budget short with a sponge\foam chamois I have found the better quality once have better compression elements(equips)
    I usually go about 2 days between changes sometimes 3 if I do a drive in day or less if I do extra miles ect
    Thankfully just got a new washing machine with a 15 wash cycle lol

kcr
    Free Member

Best to change them every day. Re-using shorts increases your risk of problems with infections and saddle sores.
    As suggested above, having 5 pairs for a daily commute is a good idea.
    How long will they last? I’ve owned shorts that lasted for several years of comfortable 5 day commuting. I don’t go for anything fancy, and have found basic DHB shorts are fine. It’s better to have several pairs of comfy, basic bib shorts than one pair of £150 high tech wonder shorts!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I didn’t like the DHB’s as the pad seems to be the wrong shape for my biffins so I got a couple of pairs of Decathlons as they are great value and very comfy. I alternate between three pairs all bibs/one pair are Nothwave 3/4’s for the cold mornings.

johnnystorm

I have 3 pairs of On One padded boxers and two pairs of Gore and use Udderly Smooth each day for a 10 miles each way ride. As above, just not worth re-wearing stuff….. The £50 invested is paid back in a week or two of not using the car.

The OO shorts are possibly better than the Gore boxers that bunch up a bit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘one for the commuter\daily riders- padded shorts’ is closed to new replies.