Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • One for the Campervanists …….. VW electric I.D. range due around 2019
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

All 3 are looking pretty cool

Linky

trailwagger
    Free Member

Sorry, but the van is hideous

BoardinBob

I think it looks awesome. Life would be boring if we all liked the same things though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

wheres the rest of it ?

ElShalimo

The van looks pretty but expect some compromise on the design – that sloping roof removes lots of internal volume which makes a smallish camper even smaller.

Why do all concept cars have such HUGE wheels?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I quite like the van. Better than the usual square boxy vans. I’d bet a significant part of my body that the actual van won’t look anywhere near as good though. I Suspect a stupendous price hike though. Cool retro is just an excuse to charge a big fat price premium.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Square body vans are square and boxy for a reason.

The curving roof makes That look little more than a family mpv size.

How ever the good thing about concepts is that the one thing you can be sure of is that they won’t look like that.

I predict a t6 with an electric engine. Every concept van Ive seem from.vw for about the last 6 years looks like that

What we get is a facelift on the previous model.

zilog6128

I think it looks awesome! Looking like 2022 for the microbus version though?

matt_outandabout

Please now would VW make a Beetle and Microbus ( and citroen a 2cv and van) that weigh as much and the size of the originals, but electric…

zilog6128

Impossible due to modern safety regulations surely? All-electric should mean less space inside taken up by engine though!

trail_rat
    Free Member

and more space taken up by batteries surely.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t drive my family anywhere in a Beetle that weighed as much as an original.

ElShalimo

molgrips – Member
    I wouldn’t drive my family anywhere in a Beetle that weighed as much as an original.

what’s your min weight requirement for a family car?

fisha
    Free Member

Thing is though, that to me, the essence of a camper van is that you go long trips in it to remote places etc etc … with the current climate of charging and range that doesn’t appear to be a means to do that with an electric camper.

molgrips
    Free Member

what’s your min weight requirement for a family car?

5 star ncap.

If you can find one that light then I’ll be… mildly surprised.

zilog6128

the essence of a camper van is that you go long trips in it to remote places etc etc

somewhat irrelevant though as no proper hippie is going to be able to afford one anyway!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Square body vans are square and boxy for a reason.

Yes, but square on the inside doesn’t necessarily have to mean square on the outside. There are clever design tricks that are already employed with cars, specifically MPV’s, to make the exterior look nice and curvy whilst maintaining a practical and large interior space. IN any case do proper builders use VW vans? I know a lot of commercial companies use VW vans but not necessarily proper builders who are looking to put pallets of bricks inside. Maybe VW have sussed this out and realised they can compromise on interior shape for some nicer external aesthetics. And in any case in this day and age all vehicles need to pay more attention to aerodynamics.

and more space taken up by batteries surely.

Again, not necessarily. If you take a conventional van then yes, you’re taking up space with batteries, but if you design an EV van from the ground up you can design them around the batteries so they don’t invade the interior space so much or at all.

rickonwheels
    Free Member

I like campervans, and am partial to a VW.

I like the look of the van, but I swear i’ve been seeing variations of this concept for over a decade, maybe two – always as a minibus/mpv rather than camper.

Electric could work if you only visit campsites with electric hook-ups a few hundred miles apart.

If it does ever see light of day it will be a zillion quid, so completely irrelevant really anyway!

chrismac

It will make a lousy campervan, too small, cant standup in it and nodoubt expensive. But then the T4/T5 are no better and popular so it will probably sell like hotcakes even though it will make a poor camper

ElShalimo

molgrips – Member

5 star ncap.
    Is NCAP used to measure weight now?

molgrips
    Free Member

Er no but the two are linked somewhat, that’s what I’m getting at. I’m suggesting that the Beetle was light because it was flimsy, and that a modern safe car would not be as light.

But I could be wrong and would be pleased if I am.

sharkbait
    Free Member

It will make a lousy campervan, too small, cant standup in it and nodoubt expensive

You can tell all that from two “artists impression” pictures?
    Impressive.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like the Van but hate the Red thing, looks like a pile of crap designed by a SkoolMom and would appeal to the hard of thinking. The smaller white thing looks good, smaller neater and takes less space up. Is that the next Gold replacement?
    The Van carries more, should at least go some way to appease the current T5/6 limited vision stable, should actually be called a “lifestyle vehicle” rather than a T5/6 being actually a Van.

So almost, but could try harder.

frogstomp

I read somewhere that the next incarnation of the Beetle is likely to be electric only and rear wheel drive.

In the meantime

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have seen a concept of a Renault 4, that looked ace. I too would love to see a 2cv concept, doubt we will though and to be fair the original was canned due to the ever increasing call for safety regulations..
    And, I kinda agree..

Ace car though.

R4 Concept.

zilog6128

In the meantime…

If you haven’t seen it already, google “Zombie 222”

sbob
    Free Member

http://www.autocarpro.in/news-international/lightweight-behicle-ev-targets-star-euro-ncap-rating-26531

There you go molgrips, 500kg.
    I am, however, imagining that your family is very very small. 🙂

scotroutes

You can tell all that from two “artists impression” pictures?
    Impressive.
    [/quote]

Standing room for midgets only

Drac

You can tell all that from 1 picture?

Should be interesting to see what they produce and just in time for my Golf GTE to go back.

trail_rat
    Free Member

gain, not necessarily. If you take a conventional van then yes, you’re taking up space with batteries, but if you design an EV van from the ground up you can design them around the batteries so they don’t invade the interior space so much or at all.

and what does all this weigh and whats its payload.

can you drive it on a B1 license or will we all have to do our C1 to drive an SWB t5 alike ?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘One for the Campervanists …….. VW electric I.D. range due around 2019’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts