Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • One for the bike Dad's – levers for small hands
  • Burchy1
    Free Member

Just completing a few mods to a Saracen Mantra 2.0, one of which is adding a better set of mini v’s i have lying around (the stock set are truely awful, about the only thing on what is otherwise a good off the shelf bike).

The levers are pretty bad too, so i offered up some tektro ones i had to find the reach is too much for test subject 1 who has smallish hands. I’ve found the ones on his existing Islabike in the Tektro catalogue but they are for a smaller diameter bar – (http://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=193)

Anybody got any suggestions for levers that fit small kids hands?

coomber
    Free Member

I had the same problem on my boy (7 y/o) as he found the tektro too big.

I bought these, not cheap but really good quality metal levers, and reach is ideal. I would recommend them very highly.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-hoy-14-20-brake-lever-EV252524

Bez

I had some Tektros with reach adjustment which my lad was happily using aged 5; they worked better than the original levers on the secondhand Beinn 20 I put them on. I can find out the model number if need be.

lardman
    Free Member

i have these, which are fine for my 5-6yr olds.

Tektro TS325A Junior MTB V-Brake Levers. got them from Wiggle. 7 notes.
    these

i just run them inboard a little and the reach adjust brings them VERY close to the bar if needed.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Coomber – those are identical to the tektro ones i’ve linked (and what he has on his Cnoc16)so could be spot on, do you know if they fit regular sized bars or are the Hoy ones a narrower diameter?

Bez – the tektro levers i’ve got have lever adjust but not enough and also the lever blad is then in a crap position (the little finger end will hit the bar loads earlier). I’d be interested to see a pic or model number though if its not too much hastle.

Bez

I’ll try and remember to check tonight 🙂

pictonroad

The ones Lardman has linked to have done my lad fine from aged 3. Still going fine now he’s 6 on a 20”, just dial out the adjuster.

They’re fine, kids’ fingers are TINY, you need hardly any space between the grip and the lever.

coomber
    Free Member

Coomber – those are identical to the tektro ones i’ve linked (and what he has on his Cnoc16)so could be spot on, do you know if they fit regular sized bars or are the Hoy ones a narrower diameter?

They are smaller than the tektro ones, because they replaced them on my sons bike. Definately sit in closer towards the bar.

They fit his handlebar which I am sure is standard. It’s an 11″ kona something or other, so think it’s standard. Actually, must be as tried some avid v brake levers before and they just slipped on.

antigee

Another vote for the tektro’s recommended by Lardman – fit standard 22.2mm dia handlebars – seem to recall clamp doesn’t fold open – slides on so have to remove gear levers, grips to fit
    Work well.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Cheers Coomber, think i’ll go with those.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Assuming these are the same ones attached my kids decathlon bikes, they are pants! first ride out she fell off and the lever bent so far out of shape that its not usable any longer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘One for the bike Dad's – levers for small hands’ is closed to new replies.