Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • One for the astronomy folk
  • TheFlyingOx

That’s a video of planets orbiting a star 129 light years away. I didn’t know we could do that. My gast is well and truly flabbered.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It is cool, no doubt.

But the dudes who filmed it could have removed the Lucky Charm cereal from the screen first.

fisha
    Free Member

I knew that they could see planets orbiting stars where the planets passed in front of the star and so darkened the star’s brightness a little, but I never knew they could see planets orbiting like that.

That is really impressive to see.

Trimix
    Free Member

Shows you how sensitive the equipment must be to pick up reflected light from planets 129 light years away. Just how many photons make it here ?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is that not a pseudo-coloured image based on non visual electromagnetic or radio signals?

maccruiskeen

I never realised stars were actually star-shaped in real life 🙂

Stevet1
    Free Member

orbiting a star 129 light years away

go on then, how do they do that? Assuming they didn’t set the equipment up 129 years ago?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

go on then, how do they do that? Assuming they didn’t set the equipment up 129 years ago?

:/

Andy_K

The light has been continuously heading this way for a bit more than 129 years…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Lucky we got it when we did, then! Otherwise it might have just shot past

TheFlyingOx

I never realised stars were actually star-shaped in real life

Why would we draw stars that shape if they weren’t?

richmtb

Thats very interesting.

OP where did you find that video.

Be interested to learn more about what observation method they are using to find 4 planets 129 light years away

deadkenny
    Free Member

Wasn’t aware that any exo-planets have actually been directly observed, but apparently there’s been a few.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_directly_imaged_exoplanets

The above is HR 8799 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HR_8799#Planetary_system

Seems to involve “a coronagraph to block the light from the star, revealing the dimmer light reflected by a planet in its shadow”

http://www.space.com/31497-exoplanets-direct-imaging-next-big-thing.html

Edit: Beaten to it 😀

big_scot_nanny

That is absolutely staggeringly brilliant. Cheers OP!

kimbers

love it!

fascinating reading on the wiki link too

richmtb

So they really were directly imaged, thats pretty amazing. I guess directly imaging planets closer to their star would be a lot harder due to glare from the star. Although I’m sure the technique will develop

bencooper
    Free Member

It is truly phenomenal – when I was an astronomy student, we were told that we’d probably never be able to image exoplanets directly, just goes to show how good the telescopes and processing have become.

molgrips
    Free Member

Check out the scale though – looks like the star and the inner planet are 20 au across, which is 20 times the distance from here to the sun. That’s a big star system and some huge planets going round pretty slowly. So whilst it looks like our system with its four inner planets, it’s probably not.

Cool all the same mind 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

That inner planet is about the same distance from its star as Uranus is from our Sun so there’s a lot of space in between. It also means that those outer planets are a long, long way out.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘One for the astronomy folk’ is closed to new replies.