Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • One for the Apple fan's – recommend me a project management tool
  • menothim
    Free Member

Wondering what to use… tempted by Omniplan, but put off by the price. Ex MS Project user, so want something kind of like that.

Thanks.

geoffj

I looked at this a while ago. The 2 options were Merlin & OmniPlan. Whilst the Omni stuff is very good, it isn't cheap. Merlin is reasonable too.
    TaskArtist is a free one, but I've not used it.

In the end, I just use Excel and OmniFocus for task management.

woffle
    Free Member

Hoping to get work to spring for an Omniplan license or three now more people are using Macs. I've got a trial install on my office mac and looks good thus far – mind you it was about 10 years ago since I last used Microsoft Project so not got much to compare it with.

I've been a huge fan of their software since the early releases of Omnigraffle – currently use Omnifocus to keep track of daily items – highly recommended.

CaptJon
    Free Member

If you know a commercial product, this site will give you an open source version: http://www.osalt.com/

I use Merlin for PM building roles.
    not as full on a tool as Project but does the job at a fraction of the price.

podman
    Free Member

Using Merlin for my final-year uni project at the moment, came from using MS project on my HND, etc. in the past, not had any problems with it, nice and easy to use once you get used to where everything is!

I've also been using Omnigraffle for some design, and have been very impressed, so I'm sure Omniplan would be brill!

This post hasn't been much help has it… 😕

Padowan
    Free Member

What about OpenProj? From what I recall it runs as a Java app so I think it's platform independant and would work on an Apple – best thing is it's free. Certainly worth a try if it works?

brant
    Free Member

Possibly not as in depth as you need, but might help someone…

http://basecamphq.com/

Works for me, but I probably don't do really clever stuff?

scottyjohn
    Free Member

get vmware fusion and have windows installed and all your MS apps on that, with unity, you can use the windows apps as if they are running in the mac side of things, Im using it and it works great

Travis

I don't know about which features you use, but I use http://www.ganttproject.biz/ it's a free downloadedable one

can-uk
    Free Member

I have been using OmniPlan for a year now. Highly recommend it. Great integration with MS Project. Easy to use.. Less frustrating than MS project and I really like the HTML report exports.

woffle
    Free Member

get vmware fusion and have windows installed

nah, get Parallels! Personally always found it faster than VMware and the coherence view works well. The new version 5 (?) piddled over Fusion from a great height in performance testing…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘One for the Apple fan's – recommend me a project management tool’ is closed to new replies.