Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • One for Recruitment Agents
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

What is the best approach if you see several suitable jobs advertised by the same agent?

Do you send them 6 seperate applications or 1 application with a covering letter asking to be considered for similar roles?

If you see the same job with the same agent on different job sites do you apply multiple times?

Basically, is it better to send you CV repeatedly or just the once. Also, what is the best way to avoid being sent to voicemail when you ring them?

BigJohn

Its far better to phone. I don’t know how to avoid voicemail – I can’t see why ,they should be avoiding you.

If you apply by email, just do it once, but do write a personalised introduction.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[ Cheeky ]

I’d try to use all of the info on the various adverts to work out who the company was and then apply to them in person.

[/ Cheeky ]

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Cheers – I have a personalized covering letter. The voice mail thing is possibly paranoia, when i speak to the switchboard for some agents they ask who you want to speak to, who you are and what it is about and then you get put straight through to voicemail. I guess they probably are just on the phone but i have just had three in a row go straight to voicemail.

bikerbaboon
    Free Member

My wife workes in recruting……. If its an agancy then you will be lucky if there is one real job there they are advertising.
    I would make an application for the job you realy like and then ( if they are a good recruter) the agancy will call round her contacts that work in the industry to see if she can spec you in to a job thats not even been advertised yet.
    Agencys need to get your details down and vet you b4 they will put their name behind you so they know you will beable to do the job but also so they have the paperwork to bill the customer once they take you on. this takes time so they need to have a back log of applicants that they have already to send out to interviews.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

CFH – So do I

lunge

I work in recruitment (sorry!) and if it were me i would send 1 application per agency and get put across by with whoever calls back first/you like most. However try to ensure your CV is only sent to the end client by 1 agency as some client don’t like getting the same CV 3 or 4 times.

If no-one calls back then a call to one or 2 will not do any harm.

Regarding the VM comment, it is pretty much our job when in the office to be on the phone so if you go to VM don’t be overly suprised as the chances are they really are on the phone.

bikerbaboon, there are some agencies that work like that, most (certianly those that deal in the kind of work WCA does) do not (well, not in my experience anyway)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Spooky – Every call I have made since posting on here has been answered by the person I was after!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

WCA, look at the time you were calling! Us Recruitment Consultants are entitled to a lunch break you know (hence voicemail).

😉

hora
    Free Member

Call the person first. If they are vague or sound sloppy then thats not a good starting point. Also, cut and paste part of the JD into google- you might find the direct ad by the client themselves 😉

bikerbaboon
    Free Member

well my wife has worked in about 6 differing agencies all spec out non existant jobs….. my boss has worked for 3 different agencies again specced out non existant jobs. Both working in sectors from construction to office work though to housing and social work.
    From my own experiance in engineering I have applied though an agency for the 4 times i have looked for a new job. each time I have never been put forward for the job that i applied for and have been called back after a day or 2 of them reciveing my CV and referances with offers of interviews.

I know it happens across the bord and if your company does not do it then hats off to you, but alot do.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Flasheart and hora – I would have thought before i worked in recruitment that you were right. However, if it’s a reputable agency (okay, there are a few) and have a good relationship with their client, then you may well shoot yourself in the foot by going direct (their client might be using an agency so they don’t get applications direct, which may get lost). Don’t play games, most recruitment folk are pretty useless so ring them and ensure that they put you forward. Play games and p1ss them off and remember that they are holding the cards – I don’t do anything immoral because I like my sleep but I could still cause someone considerable pain if I wanted. Some of the people I know in recruitment don’t care about anyone so they’ll do all they can to screw you over.

Summary – one application, make sure you follow up with phone call, convince them you’re great. One thing to remember – they have to state the client’s name before they send your CV – DTI regulations – so you will know anyhow.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

1 CV per agent – Check
    Follow up phone call to each agent – Check
    Only apply direct to client before speaking to agent – Check

Right, that is most of my day burnt up on the job sites and phone, I am off for a ride

hora
    Free Member

nuttysquirrel – normally I’d agree however a quick phone call will help discern if the person is any good, a chancer etc. Alot of agents dont have any jobs on at the moment. Companies are cutting back on recruitment spend and some are trying direct ads more and more. This will change but in the meantime it wont hurt to investigate further. Imagine a noddy who simply advertises a job he sees advertised directly with no real client-relationship then he specs someones cv in who would probably be better applying direct in this climate?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d agree with hora here (have also been in rec in my past)

Given both WCA’s situation and the current market, I’d have no qualms about trying a direct (and therefore much cheaper for the employer) application at the moment.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If you want to recommend ways of finding the direct advert jobs (or even the unadvertised ones) I would appreciate it. I have hammered my LinkedIn and Plaxo network already.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

My company are trying to reduce costs his year (isn’t everyone?) and have had great success in cutting down recruitment agency bills. Last year they recruited 20 people at an average cost of around £3400 each. This year they’ve tried different approaches (asking staff to refer a friend etc) and it’s down to around £850 each.
    Getting back to my point – sending your CV and a well written covering letter/introduction isn’t seen as desperate and may be well received given the current financial climate. Although I was placed in my current position by a recruitment agency, my overall impression was negative and it may not be the way I choose to look for a job next time.

hora
    Free Member

some rec’s are still very good. Thankfully we recently got rid of one particularly bad egg that I never liked and endured because he was supposed to be hot/the bollocks etc.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘One for Recruitment Agents’ is closed to new replies.