• This topic has 48 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • One for dezb griz foxy or jojo
  • TooTall
    Free Member

dunt

I’m a proud born and bred Geordie who delights in the strange crimes against the language born from regional variations. I certainly don’t equate non-standard use with a lack of ability. I object to someone who says something like

I think it’s very important, to master the language that you speak. I do find bad grammar annoying, as it shows that some people have been taught badly/been too lazy to learn.

and repeatedly uses ‘is not’ and other pointless mis-spelling throughout their posts.

If thats all OK with you of course.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As far as the swearing is concerned, I’ve cut out all that bollox since some **** grassed me up to the mods a couple of weeks ago and I was banned for two days

You too gg? Happened me around the time of the sad demise of JG – the mods were in hyper-sensitive mode and I took one for the team that day! Have had to cut it out since…it’s hard though.

duntmatter
    Free Member

I sit corrected then, ta. And it’s all gravy. Of course.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

And the original post asks if there is a rule; not which form to use in which context.

well, there are rules, but more complex than envisaged perhaps. Your examples differ because one was a matter of fact and they other purely theoretical. You could have been there but you could not be a different person.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

TooTall; I find your comments somewhat contradictory. You say you enjoy the ‘crimes against language’ of regional variation, but you object to my little Rudeisms.

Is you a Rudeist?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Is you a Rudeist?

dialects arise as part of the natural development of language, rudeisms are created purely to annoy…

TooTall
    Free Member

I’d not grace a dull intended mis-spelling with a specific title – that would give both it and the originator far too much credence.

juan
    Free Member

Well a part DrJ who made is point having insulting xenophobic comment no one has been able to give me a rule:'(.

Rudeboy too tall, local dialect and regional accents are good if it’s your first language.
    As foreigner I’ll only sound like a moron/tool/idiot (pick your own). A friend from UK was over here for easter and I used “nowt” she just ask been if I was a bred and born northerner. People outside the UK expect you to have a very well manners english not some local dialect from the south east of London or a remote shed in Yorkshire 😉

igm

Your examples differ because one was a matter of fact and they other purely theoretical.

…which in fact was my point. Please try to keep up.

And there are no rules – only conventions.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘One for dezb griz foxy or jojo’ is closed to new replies.