Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • One for computer techie folk: gateway timeouts
  • saxabar
    Free Member

Just got back from a work trip to Egypt and now my MacBook Air won’t connect (with Chrome browser) to most webpages (inc. STW!). A technician fiddled with it to try and get it to to connect it an organisation’s WiFi, but I can’t seen anything obvious in settings. Any suggestions? 😕

prezet
    Free Member

I’m assuming your machine actually connect to the network? If so, try clearing Chrome’s history/cache.

saxabar
    Free Member

Yep, connects to the internet and I can receive some web info (such as work email, Twitter and Google searches), but not the vast majority of webpages. I tried deleting browser history/cache to no avail.

prezet
    Free Member

Do other browsers work i.e. Safari? or is it just Chrome?

saxabar
    Free Member

Just tried Safari – nothing there either

Mr_C
    Free Member

Have you checked the DNS settings.

blader1611
    Free Member

If that is error 504 gateway timeout doesnt that mean a server along the line didnt respond. Have they changed any dns settings on your macbook?

prezet
    Free Member

It certainly sounds like a DNS config problem

saxabar
    Free Member

Hmm, the laptop is configured by my work IT department so I can’t flush the cache through Terminal. Looks like I’ll have to take it in. Thanks all for help with identifying likely culprit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘One for computer techie folk: gateway timeouts’ is closed to new replies.