Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • One Days Riding (non rider) Kit List Help
  • soobalias
    Free Member

On Wednesday im taking both of my step-sons to BPW for a days uplift riding.
    One hasnt touched a bike in at least 3years, the other has ridden for transport and done a little offroad in the last few weeks.

Bike and lid hired for each of them – any comments on the BPW bikes welcome
    What are the essentials both personal and bike? What would you recommend?
    One of them will be choosing between tracky bottoms and jeans!

Im tempted to send them to sports direct for some trainers, a ‘waterproof’ and some gloves – anything else?

stumpy01

Water bottles (cheap hydration pack), first aid kit, cereal bars

Trouser clips

Gary_M
    Free Member

Water bottles (cheap hydration pack), first aid kit, cereal bars

How far is the ride going to be? Do they really need any of the above?

Or gloves for that matter. Surely they can just ride the bikes in whatever they’re wearing, you don’t really ‘need’ any special equipment to ride a bike.

ebennett

Check with BPW if the bikes are tubeless or not, if not I’d recommend a patch kit, tyre levers, and a pump.

soobalias
    Free Member

Water and some sort of bag/pack is a good shout and something i’d missed. Cereal bars is also good – i dont, but they will need extra food

I expect the hire bikes to be tubed – but i might drop them a line to check.

soobalias
    Free Member

Gary_M – not far, you are never more than a 30min walk from the car anyway, just want to reduce the potential downsides. I cant imagine riding in full length trousers, this country is never dry, so for £3 for something thats either a. disposable or b. can be kept if the riding bug bites, i think its worth it.

spend £60 to hire a bike for the day, might as well spend another £10 to make it a repeatable experience.

antigee

long sleeves and gloves – bandaids and bribes to smile if returned damaged*

*edit – young people not bikes – no emotional input to metal outside of stw

Gary_M
    Free Member

I cant imagine riding in full length trousers

Yes but that’s because you’re used to not riding in full length trousers I guess. Plenty of people ride in jeans and I see loads of people commuting in normal clothes.

I get your point though.

soobalias
    Free Member

only just thought, the bikes (trek slash 7) gonna be 650b, ive got a 26″ tube or two, but wont be buying special 650 tubes as i reckon one would be a pita to fit to my wheels.

iainc

I use 26 inch tubes in my 650b wheels, no problems

soobalias
    Free Member

i figure that way round isnt a problem but what about a 650 tube in a 26″ tyre? im guessing baggy and prone to pinching…… or is 650 a lie

*shoots kitten.

thanks guys, ive got a bit of a checklist now.

scaled
    Free Member

OK, i’ll bite… Why aren’t you riding?

Trekster

Insulating tape or gaffa tape to stop them flapping about, getting stuck in chain 💡

soobalias – Member
    only just thought, the bikes (trek slash 7) gonna be 650b, ive got a 26″ tube or two, but wont be buying special 650 tubes as i reckon one would be a pita to fit

They will have spares, ask for sale or return either that or take a repair kit 💡

ebennett

Funnily enough, I gave a guy at llandegla my emergency 650b tube for his 26er at the weekend as he’d completely blown out his rear tube and had no spare. Figured it would be good enough to get him round the last few kms, but I’ve no idea if he made it round or not!

soobalias
    Free Member

didnt think of sale/return on spares – good shout.
    duct tape on tracky bottoms – last resort.
    i am riding, possibly a long way behind if there is duct tape and tracky bottoms involved.

soobalias
    Free Member

hmmm. are there any showers at BPW?

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Don’t worry about water bottles, just leave a normal bottle near the uplift queue, have a drink there. Some cereal bars might be good to carry though.

soobalias
    Free Member

reveiw.

the bike hire was excellent, the staff ran through a very thorough pre-hire check noting any issues. We were informed that general wear and tear would not be charged (tyre wear, paint chips etc) Each bike had the suspension tuned for the rider and I was advised that in the event of a puncture to get back to the workshop and they would fix it asap.
    The Trek Slash 7 is a 650b and both my lads loved the bike for the trails

waterproof was totally unnecessary in the end as the glorius welsh weather shone on us all day – however my missus reminded me that i bought them both a cheap karrimor waterproof for walking some years ago.

i got two pairs of cheap fingerless gloves.

only thing which is worth remembering is a pair of safety specs – something i rather take for granted as i have prescription riding specs.

Huge thanks to the BPW mechanics, cafe, bike shop, uplift drivers and all the riders there yesterday, helped make it an enjoyable memorable occassion.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘One Days Riding (non rider) Kit List Help’ is closed to new replies.