Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • One day's biking around San Francisco?
  • nicko74

I’ve got to go to Sunnyvale in the first week of December, and am thinking about taking the bike for a day’s riding. What is there in the Sunnyvale/ San Francisco area, and is it worth it?

asmythe76
    Free Member

Don’t know about Sunnyvale, but I hired a bike from these to ride across the Golden Gate.
    http://www.blazingsaddles.com/maps-and-rides/marin-county-self-guided-tours.aspx
    I was only in SF for the morning so I didn’t explore much beyond the bridge and don’t know how technical it will be but the views are nice.

Rivett
    Free Member

Get over the bridge and into Marin. You can do a good loop including singletrack. Pick up a map in one of the bike shops.

nicko74

Looks like there are some decent trails about half an hour from Sunnyvale (south of SF, in the coastal range of hills). But on reflection I don’t have a bike bag and getting one cheap here (in Canada) isn’t easy. So I’ll save it for another trip…

woody2000

I did the same as asmythe, rode along the sea front to Fort Mason, then over the bridge and back. Up round the Presidio, then round Golden Gate Park, Lake Merced Park and around Haight before heading back to the city. Took us most of a day at pootle pace. Great place 🙂

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

The rental bikes are probably not up to the standards of most readers of this forum. And the maps? There are certain corners where you can always find a few confused riders with the “Blazing Saddles” bag hanging from the handlebars, trying to figure out where they are and where they are trying to be.

Here’s my offer: if you can get to Marin County (50 miles from Sunnyvale), I have a couple of spare FS bikes, and I know the trails. I already took a couple of riders I met on this forum for a ride, and it worked out very well.

TiRed

You’re a long way out of SF. You could ride up over the hills and out to half-moon bay, back along the coast. Lovely area, but the roads are busy. I also recommend blazing saddles and over to Marin, but it would be quite a trek for you.

nicko74

Cor… how cool is that?!
    djaustin – technically yes, but I’m flying in and out of SFO, so same same really. Plan would be to be up early on the day, and while my colleague gets the morning flight back, get some biking in and take the red-eye.
    Repack – is that you in the photo?! 😮 I really appreciate the offer; it’s a work trip, so I need to check out the flight situation (what’s in and out of policy etc), but if I can get the time I’ll definitely keep you posted! 🙂

nicko74

Repack Rider – I’ll ping you on the email address on your site (great site, btw!)

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack this thread, anybody know where I can buy a download copy of Klunkerz!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘One day's biking around San Francisco?’ is closed to new replies.