Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • One day riding in Banff – recommendations?
  • yoshimi

During our trip to Canada in August I’ll get a day where I can go out riding, so

Where should I hire a bike from?

What trails should I ride?

Are there any clubs / guided rides (I’d prefer to ride with others)?

plumber
    Free Member

If you have transport and want more downhill with uplift then head to Kicking horse – bike hire on the hill

if XC then do the Goat trial over to Canmore – very pretty and usually lots of people using the trail to chat too – if I had only one day this is what I’d do

fasthaggis

Yup, Canmore is a good choice.
    You can hire and cycle straight out from town.

rewski
    Free Member

Maybe do the Tour Divide 😉

BillOddie

Canmore and Kanananskis would be my shout.

Great riding, just watch out for the bears!

scruff
    Free Member

Theres a trail that goes out towards the Hoodoos, not far & they are great to look at. Loads of trails out from the town and quite a few bike shops, I’d ask in one of those. Lots of maps online from Parks Canada.

scruff
    Free Member
    yoshimi

Edit^^^ ah-ha

I looked at Kicking Horse Park in Golden which I liked the look of….hire Giant Glory / lift assisted etc but how does it work in say Canmore – just turn up in town find a bike then what – are trail maps available?

I’m not too sure that just heading off into the mountains on my own for the day is a good idea, you know getting lost, not finding good trails, bears and all!

robhenry85
    Free Member

Going on honeymoon to Canada and staying in Banff for 5 nights! So will keep an eye on this tread.

But what’s a good trail for the new mrs to do! She only rides now and again, done a few trail centres, reds at dalby grizdale sherwood! Not and epic all day one! Just a few hours Xc stuff

BillOddie

Rob, Canmore will cater for that.

There is also an awesome trail that runs along side the river between Canmore and Banff, nothing overly techy (unless it’s been raining as there are lots of roots) but and nice flowy XC ride.

ianv
    Free Member

There are loads of bike hire places in Banff.

The trail to Cranmore is Ok, there is also some singletrack along the side of Lake Minniwanka, 25m out and back.

plumber
    Free Member

http://www.bikepirate.com/x-country-trails/goat-creek/

google is your friend – you’d have to be a complete numpty to get lost on this trail

I was a bit worried myself as I was taking occasional riders with me the first time. I did it single speed with no issues at all. just a really pleasant ride with awesome views and plenty of weekend hikers around to chat to if you like.

This looks a perfect solution if you can find a plus 1
    http://www.theskistop.com/biketours/shuttle_ride.htm

robhenry85
    Free Member

the goat trail looks good for me and the new mrs, thanks

MoreCashThanDash

We had 5 nights in Banff for our honeymoon – sadly pre mountain biking….

Best thing we did in Banff was to walk up a nearby mountain and catch the cable car back down to soak in the hot springs. Thing is, we can’t remember the mountain now – may have been Sulphur mountain?

Also recommend Lake Louise, and the Icefield parkway, and not coming back to the UK…..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘One day riding in Banff – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.