Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • One day, one Welsh trail centre, which one?
  • legend
    Free Member

Heading for a few days in the valleys this weekend. Sunday we’ll be riding Artur Stiniog, but Saturday is for more XC/AM/ENDURO(!! ;)) riding. Staying in Betwys-y-Coed, but Coed-y-Brenin is ibviously just up the road too.

The Saturday will be just me and the missus. Technical riding isn’t a problem, but she’s hardly been able to ride through the winter so fitness isn’t great. Any recommendations for a fun (mtb) ride? Was originally thinking CyB as we could do a loop then have a play, but then started seeing more options than I can shake a stick at!

chrisdw
    Free Member

Most of coed y brenin is still closed. If your in betws, pull out an OS map and get going. Easy to get long rides from small areas in the woods and hills near betws.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Most of coed y brenin is still closed.

With that in mind, how about a trip to Mach? Although, it would rather depend on which way you’re heading home after your riding. If you’re coming South at all, NYA is well worth a look for a nice mix of open country and playground.

Oh, and The Valleys are in South Wales. 🙂

sideshow
    Free Member

If you’re in Betws surely Penmachno or Marin trail? Not that I’d go all that way to ride a trail centre anyway.

sideshow
    Free Member

Or if you like technical and wilderness, do the loop northeast past Llyn Cowlyd then southwest up Cwm Crafnant back to Capel. Don’t follow the bridleway for the initial climb though, follow the leat instead. If you’re lucky the cake shop in Crafnant will be open. You’ll probably end up pushing the worst parts of the climbs anyway so fitness shouldn’t matter much.

The haters will be along shortly, but I like Llandegla.

Might prove a nice contrast to Antur as well and you don’t have to be mega fit.

iolo
    Free Member

Most of coed y brenin is still closed.

No it’s not

Dated 4th March from Coed y brenin ranger’s facebook

rest assured I’m well aware of the impact this has on business’s and have been organising the guys hard work with the aim of getting the trails open asap. We’re now very close to opening the Beast/MBR with a diversion to come back across the aerial bridge on Offspring to avoid the bailey bridge area. Then a diversion around Beginning of the End to Glide. We’ve still had to clear the forest roads too of overhanging hung up trees. The final forest road climb up from the aerial bridge should’ve been completed today. I’m up on the Marin tomorrow morning to get Trailworks clearing and repairing a tricky area there. Then back to CyB to do a ridden inspection of the Beast MBR to check and sign off the work before sorting the diversions on Thursday morning. So if all goes to plan Thurs afternoon it should be open.

So enjoy Coed y Brenin Everyone

hughjengin
    Free Member

I live in N wales so can pick and choose, Coed Y brenin without a shadow of a doubt for me. Marin and Penmachno would be a close tie for second. Penmachno is much more vulnerable to the weather (particularly lots and lots of standing water) Marin is probably the one we do most often. Its just a good solid enjoyable trail centre type ride. Nothing thats got a wow factor, but usually rideable all weathers and some good sections across fairly evenly spread across the whole of the ride. Last two sections are very good. So a bit of a no brainer. However if you catch Penmachno on a good day (usually after a long spell of dry weather)which in N Wales is probably only a handful of days a year then in my opinion it rivals anywhere. Its a shame that the ground conditions and occassional overgrown periods make it a bit more hit and miss then the other centres. But as I say catch it lucky and its ace. Properly remote/natural feeling, V Narrow, fast, adrenaline rush stuff particularly loop 1. Craig Wen section is as good as it gets for me. But Coed Y Brenin is just quality and weather proof (hurricane force winds permitting)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The Beast @ CYB. Brilliant trail with lots of memorable sections.

Penmachno earlier today:

Its a crap trail even when its, dry, which is about 15 minutes a year 🙄

legend
    Free Member

sideshow – Member

If you’re in Betws surely Penmachno or Marin trail? Not that I’d go all that way to ride a trail centre anyway.

Helpful information and STW arsey-ness in one post, beautiful 🙄

Oh, and The Valleys are in South Wales.

Hold up, so they have another name for the gaps between the mountains in the North? I’m intruiged!

We’re not going big, natural, navigating, hike-a-bike trails as tbh the two of us could just do with completely relaxing for the first time in ages! Just going to have some fun, somewhere new, with good pubs afterwards

hughjengin
    Free Member

Its a crap trail even when its, dry

Well clearly thats that then.
    I apologise for wasting peoples time dealing in an opinion, when clearly I should have asked if anyone had a fact.

wallop

Hold up, so they have another name for the gaps between the mountains in the North? I’m intruiged!

They are valleys, not The Valleys 😆

martinhutch

Coed y Brenin for me. The Beast and MBR are back open with the exception of a bit of singletrack near the end. Tawr is open too.

legend
    Free Member

They are valleys, not The Valleys

Well we’ll just have to see how the locals react to my valleys chat on Friday night 😯

Marin and something at CyB seem to be the top choices so far. For CyB a loop of something then a play on Cyflym Coch seams to be recommended?

chrisdw
    Free Member

My mistake! Been on holiday and forgot time still runs at home!

Just going to add my 2p as someone who has ridden both rather alot. Llandegla is horrible. Nothing flows, its bumpy and wide and im sure they throw down rocks onto the trail surface to make it more like mountain biking.

Penmachno isnt a brilliantly made trail. Its more cut into the hillside, so it does become a bit of a stream when its mega wet. Loop 1 is normally fine with the exception of a couple of bits. It helps if you know the trail in order to get the best from it. If you dont, i think poor line choice will take away from the flow of it all. But it is fantastic and easily my favourite purpose built trail.

martinhutch

I think quite a bit of Cyflym Coch is still shut, could be wrong though.

legend
    Free Member

Yeah it certainly is: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/ourwoods.nsf/LUWebDocsByKey/WalesGwyneddNoForestCoedyBreninCoedyBreninVisitorCentreCyflymCoch

How come CyB seemed to do so much worst than the others? In a more exposed position, or just bad luck?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Brechfa! Biggest grins in wales!

legend
    Free Member

And only 3 hours drive away from where we’re heading – handy thanks 😉

gogg
    Free Member

Oh, and The Valleys are in South Wales.

Valley (with a capital V is on Ynys Mon – Mam Cymru) and is most definitely in Gogledd Cymru.

The original and the best Coed y Brenin, or go for a Penmachno – Marin Link up, should be able to work on your fitness before going all “lazy – euro” at Stiniog. 😉

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ll contribute an opinion by way of support for a question in if I may:

I’m looking at the mach trails for a day whilst in Welsh speak-ing Wales, from what I can see much is made of the jumps on the mach x, how jumpy a trail is it? I’m not much of a one for wheels up but otherwise I’m pretty happy riding most stuff. I’ve done the mbr/beast/dragons back, the Marin and thoroughly enjoyed them both, rode llandegla last week and, other then being a black rated blue trail for the most part my main criticism would be too many people who pushed up every climb our gathered in bend like they were a meeting place, opa was however the best trail cafe I’ve ever visited.

Gribs

I rode (well pushed) up Snowdon on Monday via the Llanberis path and then rode back down it and I was far less knackered than I was after a day at Antor Stiniog yesterday.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘One day, one Welsh trail centre, which one?’ is closed to new replies.