Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • One day in Salt Lake City in early December
  • elmomalmo
    Free Member

Hello everyone,

I have a business trip to Salt Lake City early in December. I will probably have one or two free days during the trip. So I’m thinking I’d like to go ride some trails. I know that most of the trails usually ridden in the area will be covered in snow and/or closed. However, does anybody know if there are any trails worth hiring a bike for that will be open in early December?

For reference, I am of intermediate/skilled experience, I like technical and rocky descents as much as undulating single-track. I’m less good with jumps and tricksy features.

Thanks in advance.

roverpig

If you can make it two free days and hire a car you can be in Moab in 4 to 4.5 hours. I know that sounds a lot of driving by UK standards, but the roads a straight and (once you are out of the city) quiet, so it is nowhere near as stressful as it sounds. I lived in SLC for a few years and we’d regularly head down to the desert (Moab, Bryce, Zion etc) on a Friday evening and come back on a Sunday. Well worth the trip.

Otherwise, I’d just head for one of the ski resorts and enjoy some powder.

JoeG
    Free Member

Try:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/

http://www.meetup.com/Salt-Lake-City-Mountain-Biking/

6 great rides

I’ve ridden part of the Bonneville Shoreline trail, but in the summer. One thing to keep in mind is that SLC gets snow, but it often doesn’t last long due to the low humidity.

http://www.utah.com/saltlake/bike.htm

Big-M
    Free Member

Might be a bit snowy, my mate is out there currently and they’ve had some snow, nothing sticking yet though… He went for a few months in October and didn’t take his bike as he thought it’d be too snowy, he has since bought himself a new bike out there..

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Go for it. Do you climb, board or ski as well as cycle?

If so then you have a tricky choice between the best skiing in the world at Snowbird/basin Alta etc; the best crack climbing in the world at Indian Creek and the best biking in the world at Moab.

If you don’t climb or ski the decision is easy. Drive to Moab and do slickrock, Poison Sider/Portal and Porcupine Rim.

yehaaa. I loved Utah.

elmomalmo
    Free Member

Thanks for the great advice. This is great stuff.

I think it’s more accurate to say that I have skied than to say that I do ski. But it’s something I enjoy so it’s definitely something I’ll look into.

I’ve ridden in Moab. I’ve done the Whole Enchilada but missed out on Slickrock and Portal due to some dodgy Mexican food I had in Fruita, CO the previous day. I’m not sure I’m in enough form for Portal (considering the precipitousness of it).

I will have a car so maybe driving down to Moab is an option.

Now to find a bike shop in Moab open on a Sunday and that hires bikes out.

Thanks again.

E

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘One day in Salt Lake City in early December’ is closed to new replies.