Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • One bit of thieving scum off Bristol streets
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Good – Bristol bike crime is nuts.

I like the way they say “one bike was worth £1600” – ermmmm, that’s not actually very much compared to many on here’s machines!!!

peteimpreza

We its good they got him but he only got 6 months.

He will be back doing it by Chrismas.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Irwin had previous convictions for the theft and attempted theft of cycles, and had previously been jailed for three weeks and had a suspended 12-week sentence activated.

I think I’ve met this kid.. Him and a group of his mates tried to stop me once on a footpath / cycleway near where he lives. Should have punched him a bit harder!

grahamh
    Free Member

i bet he stole my kona. i will hunt this chap down now. thanks for giving me his name.

Let me have a few minutes with him, I will use my own bolt cutters – scumbag

He may want to stay inside for a bit longer than six months..

toys19
    Free Member

Hmm will 6 months inside make any difference, would 10 years make any difference? There must be a better way to deal with this..

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Veronica Pollard, of the Bristol Cycling Campaign, said: “People love their bikes as much as they love their cars”.

No we don’t Vicky, a car is a box on 4 wheels to get you from A to B. A bike on the other hand is something you can love

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

I wonder if he stole my Heckler and stripped my Rock Lobster.

slowjo
    Free Member
    sharki
    Free Member

At least this result, means the police are taking bike theft seriously.
    Now it’s up to the CPS to give thief’s a proper sentence, i like the idea of the explosive neck bands as seen on running man. Step out of line and boom.

markinoxon
    Free Member

Hmm will 6 months inside make any difference, would 10 years make any difference? There must be a better way to deal with this..

You reckon? Did you read the article? How many chances does this kid need? Yes, 6 months will make a difference because thieves don’t steal from the public when they are locked up – I bet it would be cheaper for the public to keep him in prison than keep him in bikes!

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

sharki – Member
    At least this result, means the police are taking bike theft seriously.

Eh??? He had previous and nicked 70 bikes before a member of the public spotted him. If the police had been taking bike theft seriously they’d have been collecting intelligence and been straight on his case as soon as he started stealing again, not wait for someone to spot him in the act.

Now it’s up to the CPS to give thief’s a proper sentence,

He’s got 6 months and that was up to the judge.We’ve a few crackers one’s in Bristol. Within guidelines he could have got anything from a community order through to 5 years.

toys19
    Free Member

true sharki.

My orange was nicked from my car two years ago, 20 mins after I reported it the CSI girl came out to print my car, she said it was an initiative to recover the bike and was unlikely to get a conviction, but they were recovering lots of bikes. Unfortunatly it didn’t work for me as my car was so filthy that they couldn’t get any decent prints off it. I found a kid riding my bike a couple of hours later.

sharki
    Free Member

AA, The very fact they responded to a call from the member of public meant they were taking it seriously, you cant expect an officer with a mountain of paper work and motoring offence targets to hit, to take it any more serious can you? 😉

My post was purely sarcastic, whilst being semi positive about the outcome.

Too much negativity on here so i hear.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Fair enough..

I too was being more than a bit sarcastic. “Intelligence” and “Bristol CID” in the same sentence is going a bit far 😐

To be fair to Bristol’s finest they have set up a cross District team to try and tackle the problem. One of them posts on here I believe..

Following up the point made above though, what have they done to track down who was fencing them on? Who else has been nicked? How many have they recovered?

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Oh and 70 bikes is a drop in the ocean, there are whole teams of theiving scum like this bloke still out there. More than 3200 bikes were stolen in Bristol last year (that’s just the ones reported to the Police)- 9 per day.

whytetrash

She said: “None of these bike offences would have been determined, but for his own honesty.”……loved this bit…er hello love none of these offences would have happened if it hadn’t been for his dishonesty 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh and 70 bikes is a drop in the ocean, there are whole teams of theiving scum like this bloke still out there. More than 3200 bikes were stolen in Bristol last year

Where the F*** are they all going? Somebody must know…..

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I often wonder that too Peter.

kennyp
    Free Member

6 months…not much.

10 years…well that would be 10 years where he wasn’t stealing bikes. And if he stole again after 10 years, well put him away for another 10. It’s up to him if he wants to get the hint or not.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hmm will 6 months inside make any difference

Yes; it will cost the state approximately £20,000 apparently.

From the point of view of the victim, bike theft is a horrible crime. I know, I’ve had bikes nicked. Feelings of hate, anger and retribution are only natural, and justified.

However

Prison doesn’t really work in this case. The individual isn’t a ‘risk’ to the public, only private property. Custodial sentences will only be imposed in extreme circumstances, such as this one.

The real way to tackle crimes like this is to look at the root causes of crime. Etc.

Which we don’t really seem to be doing very effectively in this country. Highest crime levels in the EU, but highest proportion of people in jail. Doesn’t seem to be acting as much of a deterrent really, does it?

IMO the best way to fight crime of this nature would be to force the criminals to make amends for their actions in ways that would be much more beneficial to society.

People don’t value others/property because they don’t feel valued themselves. That’s the issue that needs addressing.

Where the F*** are they all going? Somebody must know…..

I’ve said this before; I’d reckon a fair amount of cycle theft, particularly that where high-value bikes are targeted, is probably co-ordinated by people in the biking ‘world’. Could very well be other STWers/forum users; a forum is an excellent way to find out about locations of spensive bikes, as well as people’s security measures. Plus, you’d probbly trust a fellow rider/STWer when buying second hand bits, wouldn’t you? You’d be less inclined to question their sources, surely?

It’s not all Sink Estate Scrotes you know…

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I wonder how many of the 70 locations referred to were peoples’s houses, presumably not too many, you’d hope 70 counts of burglary would carry a higher sentence. The advice about locking through the frame suggests thefts from the street I would say.

Elfinsafety – bike crime is a whole lot worse when they gain access to your house with an axe to steal your pride and joys. I’d normally consider myself something of a bleeding heart liberal, but it’s surprising what being a victim of crime a few times in a year does to you.

I’m sort of with you, especially on the organised crime theory, but I think the more organised you postulate these crimes are, the more your “nobody loves me” theory falls down and pure greed takes over as the motivation.

Anyway, hope it was him who nicked 5 of my bikes last year and I hope he gets a right royal b4ggering from George Michael whilst in side.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’d normally consider myself something of a bleeding heart liberal, but it’s surprising what being a victim of crime a few times in a year does to you.

Yes, being on the receiving end is horrible. Truly gutting to find your prized possession gone. Something you’ve worked hard for, saved and care about.

Sadly, in the absence of a completely effective Law and Order system, the onus is on the individual to secure their property as well as possible. Nothing is 100%, but I must say I find it a bit naive when people leave spensive bikes in public areas, regardless of what locks they use. Cheap scratty hack bikes FTW. Of course we should be able to leave our property without fear of someone with no respect for us stealing it, but it’s a far from perfect World. Pays to keep a check on reality.

I’m sort of with you, especially on the organised crime theory, but I think the more organised you postulate these crimes are, the more your “nobody loves me” theory falls down and pure greed takes over as the motivation.

I agree. If you look at Crime as a whole, when it comes to theft/deceit/fraud type crimes, you’ll find the most successful and profitable perpetrators tend to appear more ‘respectable’ than the average Scrotey Opportunist. Clever criminals are more effective than stupid ones.

By the same token, carefully considered security measures are more effective than carelessness and ignorance.

Last I heard, George Michael wasn’t a rapist… 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well donning my flame proof hat and at the risk of being called a bleedin heart liberal…..

1) if they are junkies steasling to fund habits then just give them the smack! It would cost the country far less than the crime and a junkie full of smack causes no trouble

2) If its bored kids then decent locks will help – but as Elf says the roots of the crime need to be addressed – low self esteem and that sot of thing -intensive intervention early on to prevent a life of crime

3) if its organised crime throw the ruddy book at them. Bait bikes surveillance the lot – that a lot of money in bikes being nicked

andy_hamgreen

hmmm – bet that little fu$ker had my rock lobster and my mates p7 – i’m all for calling out the possee – the only proper solution would be him strung up on the suspension bridge with sign hung round neck saying ‘this is wot happens to bike thieving scum’

course – an adventure holiday somewhere warm* for him to rediscover his inner self would also be as effective 🙂

*mogadishu maybe

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘One bit of thieving scum off Bristol streets’ is closed to new replies.