Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • One bike to rule them all.
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I need to cut down my bike collection. Currently I have a Giant Anthem (but I only race 3 times a year now and don’t do so well anyway), an Orange Five, an Evil Sovereign (which is great, but doesn’t get used much at all now, use can be counted on my fingers each year), a De Rosa road bike and a Giant SCR winter bike (but I just use the De Rosa instead).

I want to cut it down to the De Rosa and one other. What suggestions have we got?

My riding is in the Peak District day to day but with a lot of big mountain trips in the Highlands, Lakes and the two in Snowdonia, an annual trip to the Alps/Pyrenees and the odd 10/24 hour race. Maybe an enduro if I can be arsed again. I like to think I’m reasonably quick up and down.

I’d need sub 30lbs, slack and long is what I like, £2500-£3000, ideally something with Rockshox forks and 26″ or 650b only. Forefront in my mind now is the 2014 Specialized Stumpy Evo Comp- any other ideas?

singlespeedstu

Keep the bike you ride sell the bikes you don’t.

Sanny
    Free Member

Have you considered Specialized’s long travel 29er? I reckon a 34 equipped 29er would be the perfect weapon for the Alps having thrown mine down the Mamores today. Every time I ride the wagon wheeled bike, I realise just how much more capable than my 5 Spot it is. 😀

JCL
    Free Member

You’re looking at the right bike, just the wrong wheel size. Evo 29″ is the quiver killer.

LenHankie

Simple. Just keep the Five and sell the rest.

munrobiker
    Free Member

No, no 29ers. I do not like how they feel, I’ve tried a few, not interested.

The issue I have with keeping the Five is it wouldn’t plug the gap left by the Anthem at all, it’s very inefficient, and I’m at the stage where a lot of the bits on it are knackered.

singlespeedstu

I’ve tried a few, not interested.

😆

How many 650bers have you tried. 😉

Just give up on the unfounded hate and try a few different bikes irrespective of wheel size.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Stu- not everyone has to like them. I’ve tried 8 different 29ers now and won’t touch one again, certainly not with my own money.

650b is only a tiny bit bigger and I’m working on the assumption it’ll feel the same and the “different ride” stuff is just hype.

singlespeedstu

I’ve tried loads of bikes i don’t like.

It’s got f all to do with what wheel size they are.

Buy whatever you want but try opening your mind to things more important than wheel size.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I knew that was coming. Open your mind to 26″ stu 😉

neilforrow

Ffs, step away from the 29er love in. He doesn’t want one.

Back on topic: SC solo? Might be a bit short for you?

stevede
    Free Member

Nukeproof mega tr, transition bandit, stumpy evo, all worth a test ride if you can I reckon. Not many dogs about these days to be fair.

stevede
    Free Member

Oh and if anyone needs to be on trend but fancies one of the above then stick some 2.4 rubber queens on and your pretty much there – you’ll ride faster, jump higher and be more attractive to the opposite sex, 650b the future 8)

singlespeedstu

Open your mind to 26″ stu

I have 2 of them in my garage. 😆

I judge bikes on how they ride not how i think people percieve them.

😉

Ffs, step away from the 29er love in. He doesn’t want one.

They do come in different flavours now you know. 8)

I was just pointing out how daft it was to dissregard a wheel size then say you’d buy a bike of a wheelsize you haven’t even tried.

rickon
    Free Member

Sounds like you want a trail bike. If you do the ‘odd’ race, seems pointless to have that influence your bike choice when all your other riding is mountains and technical trails.

I switched from a trail bike, a race bike and a hard tail to a Turner 5Spot.

I started out with it built up light, and now have it built up sensibly with proper tyres, wide bar, short stem.

A decent bike that makes you enjoy riding is what you’re after. Something that’s bags of fun.

The Turner Sultan I have (29er version of the spot, built up almost exactly the same) isn’t as much fun, and wouldn’t make me enjoy riding as much. Its efficient, less jarring, faster over stutter bumps, but *for me* that’s not what I enjoy about riding. The involvement is.

I’d highly recommend a test ride of a 29er before going down that route.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Rickon, I suppose I do. I do pretty well at races, though I think I’d probably just borrow a proper race bike for when I need it.

5 Spot is going to be out of budget. Anyone had a play on the Norco Sight?

rickon
    Free Member

What about the YT industries bikes? They’re bascailly Lapierre Zesty or Spicys, depending on the model you get.

BearBack
    Free Member

I’m working on the assumption it’ll feel the same and the “different ride” stuff is just hype.

You’re assuming incorrectly. There is a marked difference between 26 and 27.5. I’m not comparing apples with apples as my comparison is 26″ Spark and 26″ genius and 26″ genius lt vs the new 27.5 Genius.. so different categories or platforms of bikes, however the 27.5 bike absolutely rides through, over, up and down stuff better than all of the 26″ wheeled pedallable bikes.
    I’d almost be prepared to say that on a point to pint ride with big ups and big downs on Squamish trails.. my 28lb Genius is just as quick on the ups and absolutely destroys it on the downs

Before you discount the 650b movement.. you really need to try some. Otherwise you will be missing out!

As far as one bike to rule them all…
    If I can get my hands on a set of DT’s spline XM1501’s and Conti 2.4MKII to replace my slightly porky M1700’s with 2.4RQ then I wouldn’t feel the need to ride anything other than my 27.5″ Genius. It’ll do anything around here except laps of Whistlers bike park.

I’m honestly blown away by the new platform and it makes me want to ride more and more challenging terrain on a bike smaller than I’d previously have chosen!

JoeG
    Free Member

A fatbike. Definitely a fatbike! 8)

tomhoward

(but I only race 3 times a year now and don’t do so well anyway)

Rickon, I suppose I do. I do pretty well at races, though I think I’d probably just borrow a proper race bike for when I need it.

Well, which is it?

Lapierre zesty. 2014 models give you the choice of 150mm and 650b or 120mm and 29er, depending on your whim riding style. Bit of a wait though.

JCL
    Free Member

You’re assuming incorrectly. There is a marked difference between 26 and 27.5. I’m not comparing apples with apples as my comparison is 26″ Spark and 26″ genius and 26″ genius lt vs the new 27.5 Genius.. so different categories or platforms of bikes, however the 27.5 bike absolutely rides through, over, up and down stuff better than all of the 26″ wheeled pedallable bikes.
    I’d almost be prepared to say that on a point to pint ride with big ups and big downs on Squamish trails.. my 28lb Genius is just as quick on the ups and absolutely destroys it on the downs

I think it’s the new frame more than the wheels. A guy round here just did the same ride on a Bronson with 26″ and 650b wheels and noticed jack shit difference.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think it’s the new frame more than the wheels. A guy round here just did the same ride on a Bronson with 26″ and 650b wheels and noticed jack shit difference.

I was being very analytical with the one I tested and I reckon there was a little bit of a turbo effect at a certain momentum and a bit more sluggishness out of corners, through technical climbs. Not enough to make it radically different.

however the 27.5 bike absolutely rides through, over, up and down stuff better than all of the 26″ wheeled pedallable bikes.

The thing about sweeping generalisations is there always wrong….

tonyd

I’ve been thinking a bit lately about consolidating to just the one MTB, currently have a Five and a Soul. If I do it I’m going to go for an ASR5 (c if I can afford it). 120mm might not be enough for your bigger days but from what I gather they handle themselves very well when it gets steep and rocky.

Nobby

I’m having same dilemma. Was going to replace my AS-R with an AS-R5 but it’s being discontinued. Started off only looking at 120mm travel bikes but it seems these are becoming rarer & certainly with 26″ wheels.

Currently, I’m being drawn to he Liteville 301 in a 140mm/650b flavour – I don’t know why, it just seems a very good, well thought out frame. Test ride soon so I should be able to answer my own “is it too much bike for the riding I do?” Question.

Failing that, the Spark 650b looks good for 2014.

nickc

Keep the DeRosa and the Evil Sov.

bigdean

Cube super stereo hpc 160. Every review and thread has been positive. With two sets of wheels it could be all the bike you need.

jimjam
    Free Member

munrobiker Forefront in my mind now is the 2014 Specialized Stumpy Evo Comp- any other ideas?

Apart from a 2013 stumpy evo carbon (which are still available and spesh dealers are doing very keen prices on) I think you nailed it. Two of my friends have the aforementioned 2013 carbon evos and they are just incredible.

If “do it all” genuinely means from one extreme end of the biking spectrum to the other, ie xc race to dh race, then I think it’s the perfect balance.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Lizzie’s put her foot down and banned you from having so many, hasn’t she?

Come on, you can admit it. There’s no-one else about.

tinman66
    Free Member

Can’t be bothered and not interested in another 26 / 27.5 / 29 debate.

However I have a 2013 Stumpy Evo Carbon and as far as I’m concerned its the perfect bike. I took it out in to the Peaks yesterday and couldn’t imagine a better bike for it.

Its light, descends awesomely and climbs really well.

Sure I might not need the whole 150mm travel all the time but I don’t feel there’s any penalty for having it there for when I do want it.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Beans- no, this is voluntary 😯 . Too many bikes, not enough money to properly look after them in the future.

I like the look of them Cubes bigdean, thanks.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Beans- no, this is voluntary 😯 . Too many bikes, not enough money to properly look after them in the future.

I like the look of them Cubes bigdean, thanks.

Kryton57

Nobby – Member
    I’m having same dilemma. Was going to replace my AS-R with an AS-R5 but it’s being discontinued. Started off only looking at 120mm travel bikes but it seems these are becoming rarer & certainly with 26″ wheels.

An ASR-5 as well all know is an excellent bike, and with a 140mm fork would work well for your remit. Loads of frames around for £1600 which means you have a fair bit left over for your build, even more so if you split the Orange and kip the wheels brakes and finishing kit.

Unless you must have the latest thing…

Edit – check this out – choice of travel, and a Reverb or Go Pro as a free gift…

http://www.mountainbikebitz.com/2013-yeti-asr-alloy-mountain-bike-mountain-bike-black-p-16935.html?gclid=CLPe4ztwLgCFUbHtAodNnoAvQ&utm_campaign=products&utm_medium=BaseFeed1&utm_source=GoogleBase1

kevster
    Free Member

What size is the sov?

BearBack
    Free Member

The thing about sweeping generalisations is there always wrong….

Sweeping based on the 4 bikes I’m comparing?
    Wrong, based on my opinion from my time these 4 bikes on the trail?

I think it’s the new frame more than the wheels

Good point and very likely that’s true.. which would suggest that new product improves on old product (for the most part)… in which case, by ignoring 27.5, we’d have to ignore the majority of the new bikes on the market.
    So, in order to get the best bike built around the best frame.. we may just have to accept that its going to come with 27.5 wheels.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Keep the 5 and road bike

munrobiker
    Free Member

Kevster- it’s regular in that sparkly green.

kevster
    Free Member

What size rider would that suit? May be interested.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘One bike to rule them all.’ is closed to new replies.