Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • One bike 2 disciplines any issues ? Compatibility ?
  • plus-one

Love to run my idea past the boffins on here before I do something that won’t work .. Trying to get some space back and thin fleet down ..

Plan is to use my cx bike(running hylex disc brakes) currently set up ss as a 1×10 off road and 1×11 on road(new free hub would be required to run 11speed off road too..

My plan is aksium wheels(buy new) (11 speed ultegra cassette) which I have with 44t narrow wide chainring(105 11 speed rear mech medium cage) which I also have.. For road duties

My current wheels hope evo 2’s I’ll pop 10 speed cassette on(11/32) medium cage for off road/cx duties ..

I’ll use 11 speed chain

Shifting will be courtesy of a 10 speed micro shift bar end shifter ..

No racing or competitive use just winter/wet road rides and occasional off road blasts 🙂

Any reason this won’t work ?

Thanks

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

The 10 speed shifter won’t shift all 11 speeds at the back. It might only do 10.
    Is it friction/index, or index only.
    It might not even be compatible as far as cable pull ratio goes. 10 and 11 might be different.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

If it’s just for hacking about, stick with 10 on the road too. Just a big cassette for offroad, smaller for on road.

plus-one

Cheers .. Yes it’s friction .. Idea was to use 11 speed on road as I have a cassette but I’ve realised I also have an ultegra 10 speed I can use on road which will be easier ..

I know the 11 speed rear mech has different cable pull to 10 speed but is my thinking correct it’s irrelevant as shifter is friction ?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

If the shifter is friction it’s just a matter of making sure you have enough total cable pull to get the mech to move over the whole cassette.

plus-one

Thanks I’m reliably informed a dura ace 7700 9 speed bar end shifter in friction mode will easily work with 10 speed rear cassette ..

That’s my plan now ..

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘One bike 2 disciplines any issues ? Compatibility ?’ is closed to new replies.