Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • One arm set up help
  • ziggy
    Free Member

Looking for tips or ideally tips on setting up a bike for someone with the use of only one arm, shifters won’t be a problem, gripshift for front and shimano shifter pod for the rear.

The real issue lies with brakes, now the obvious answer is use cable doubler and run cable discs from a single lever. However the bike comes with hydros as standard, is there any way of the standard hydros (tektro aurigas) could both be mounted on one side, cost is an issue so no custom making.

trail_rat
    Free Member

put em both on same side , iirc they have reversable levers.

then just tape the 2 levers together… if they are too far apart for that

surely the gripshift/pod idea will result in one of the items being back to front …

which arm ?

TheSwede
    Free Member

You could try modding a thum operated rear a la mick doohan and various others. Try mounting it and have a good stare at it. You may come up with a lever mod that works.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Someone on this forum recently had to set up a bike to do this. Might be worth doing a search through the archives (though i don’t know if they go back far enough)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

What a coincidence. I had a customer in work last week. He (OBVIOUSLY) had one arm and i later realised one leg. He was totally into his mountain biking and had taken part in various enduros like strathpuffer etc. I sat for ages discussing 7 stanes sites etc and asking if his bikes were modified in any way. He told me that Hope actually modded his brakes specially for him. He has a 165mm front and 203mm rear hydro brakes running off one lever using a T-piece. His explanation was that he could control the bike better with the bias to the rear by leaning back but if the front had any more power he found he was going over the bars.

May be worth a call to Hope

Hats off to the bloke.

ziggy
    Free Member

That’s all useful info folks 🙂

Yeah the front shifter will be a gripshift mounted in reverse. Might give Hope a call, can’t really go nuts on cost though.

I’ll post some pics when I’m done and hopefully a report back from the rider.

kiwijohn

My mate Stumpy, the one armed free rider runs 2 juicy levers and an X9 on the right side of his Bullit.
    He goes hard too.

jedi

my mates at marshalls cycles adapted a bike for this very reason for a customer nad they rave about it

ziggy
    Free Member

How does he fit in all the lever clamps kiwijohn?

I guess you could run a matchmaker clamp to free up some room.

My idea with brakes was to fit Avid BBs with a cable doubler and fit some longer cable adjusters for the calipers so the brake bias could be altered from front to rear to suit the rider. So the rear would apply before the front or vice versa.

kiwijohn

Both brake levers together, inside one on top of the other, taken reach adjuster off. Matchmaker for the shifter. Single ring.
    It works really well for one finger braking. just have to remember which is which.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘One arm set up help’ is closed to new replies.