Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • One afternoon to kill with 7 Stanes… which one?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I have an interview in Dundee, so was thinking of spending time on the way back down soooth at one of the 7 Stanes, but which one?

Glentress looks to be ‘The Best’, from the website, but perhaps STW will have different ideas?

FWIW – I tend to prefer XC-flowy trails with big climbs, a few rocky jumps and fast swoopy bits. Slow, steep, rocky tech gives me the cold sweats.

Cheers! 😀

andermt
    Free Member

based on your preferences Glentress will be about right.

joeelston
    Free Member

I think you have described Glentress nicely! Red top blue bottom is an amazing run.

tmb467
    Free Member

Or Innerleithen black route

Edit: which is mostly red anyway

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cheers for replies – it’s the most on-the-way-home riding area anyway, so will be ideal 😀

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

kirroughtree is better imho but glentress has a nice set of facilities which make it more enjoyable.

bones76
    Free Member

Kirroughtree is the best of the staines for me IMO!!!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Kirroughtree is the best of the staines for me IMO!!!

M’eh. I found it a bit underwhelming, but then crashed badly and didn’t end up getting all the way round 😆

prawny

I didn’t think Kirroughtree was that much better than the Chase IMO of course.

Northwind

I love Kirroughtree but some of the best bits are slow rocky stuff, and the OP’s basically described Glentress. KT’s a bit out of the way too, coming down from Dundee (well, so is GT but not as bad)

robgclarkson
    Free Member

I vote Mabie… anyone with me?

richmtb

I’d go with Glentress too.

It has the best variety of any of the 7 Stanes and mid week it will be nice and quiet too

ahwiles
    Free Member

if you do end up at Glentress, you’ll probably ride the red route.

when you’ve finished, ride back up to, and past, the top car park – like before.

ride around the outside of the skills-park, like before.

but instead of forking right to start the red singletrack, keep going along the gravel road for a couple of minutes.

and ride the blue descents back to the cafe (look out on your left for the start of ‘blue velvet’)

seriously, don’t over-look the blue trails, so much fun for so little height!

timc
    Free Member

Kirroughtree, inners, glentress, Dalbeattie in that order for me

Cant go wrong with any really

Northwind

ahwiles is spot on, Glentress’s blues are brilliant. the highest section (whose name I forget) isn’t that good but everything lower down is good and some of it’s fantastic.

One of the best things about glentress is expandability- do a lap, play on the jumps, do the blues, maybe do mini-laps of the red and black stuff halfway round (matrix/wormhole/bitch/xx/lombard/pie run/mushroom pie, repeat to fade), and so on. Can be as big or as small a day as you want with very little actual repitition.

joeelston
    Free Member

Berm baby berm without the use of brakes is mtb heaven 🙂 IMO

Trekster

If you do go to GT treat yourself to a drive down the Beef Tub road to Moffat and rejoin the M74/6 😆

Ae is easiest to get to 💡

Drumlanrig is also within striking distance 🙂

doubledunter
    Free Member

Berm baby berm without the use of brakes is mtb heaven IMO

😯

ahwiles
    Free Member

joeelston – Member

Berm baby berm without the use of brakes is mtb heaven IMO

and you can walk/cycle back to the top in about 2 minutes!

who ever designed it is an actual genius.

joeelston
    Free Member

I just do that 20 times in a row now! Who needs the rest of Glentress 😉

cazum
    Free Member

inners red xc got it all for you too!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘One afternoon to kill with 7 Stanes… which one?’ is closed to new replies.