Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Once you've had fat you'll never go back.
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

New bike time! I’ve got a Trek Stache 29+ which is a riot, and a Transition Patrol, which is also a riot in a totally different way. I thought it’d be a laugh to combine the two into this-

It’s a Transition Smuggler with 110mm rear travel and 29″ 140mm Pikes, WTB Trailblazer 2.8″ 650b + tyres, XT drivetrain and Chromag/Easton bits. I took it out last night on our “Derbyshire Dales riders with daft vehicles” ride and was really surprised at how capable it is. It’s surprisingly quick uphill, given it is really heavy for what it is, and handled technical stuff exceptionally. It’s definitely slower than the Patrol, but not by masses on my local trails (which is what I got it for). It’s a vicious things on technical climbs too.

There wasn’t much info about on running a Smuggler as a 650b plus bike, so for those that’re considering it the rear takes a 2.8″ tyre fine. I think a 3.0 WTB would be fine, but doubt a Maxxis 3.0 would fit. It’s non-boost and there’s no issue with the chain or ring getting in the way of the tyre. Plenty of room in the Pikes too. I get the feeling the WTBs come up a bit small (and also aren’t sealing well…).

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Looks good that Luke!

andysmiff1
    Free Member

What wheels are they? Looks ace!

A

funkmasterp

That’s a nice looking ride. I too have a Stache and can’t believe how fast and agile it is. Takes a bit more effort than a standard 29er to get it rolling, but once it’s going it is seriously fun.

Houns

:like:

munrobiker
    Free Member

Andysmiff1 – They’re Alpkit Love Mud Rumpus wheels, 35mm internal.

funkmasterp – the Stache is mad. Almost everything about it screams that it’s a rubbish, nichemongery bike but it’s massively capable and exciting. If you look at it and my other bike you’ll see where I was coming from with the Smuggler.

singlespeedstu

Best of luck with the Trailblazer…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Best of luck with the Trailblazer…

I’m, er, not totally convinced by them…

roverpig

I did try (briefly) sticking B+ wheels in my Smuggler (now sold)

I thought it looked great, but the BB was pretty low anyway and making it even lower didn’t work out for me. But each to their own.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I plussed my spectral 29er, was defo quick and a hoot at first, til the mud came.

BB was too low, tyres too sketchy in west of Scotland glaur.

jam-bo

Best of luck with the Trailblazer..

Best of luck with the rumpus wheels.

I ran a set for a while in a bandit29 and Flexy is my experience.

was fast though, when I wasnt fixing punctures.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Once you've had fat you'll never go back.’ is closed to new replies.