Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Once burped, twice shy?
  • kayak23

Burped my rear tyre at Revolution Bikepark the other day.

It might be more accurate to say I ripped it off part of the rim what with the G-outs and corner thraping that was happening. Had to resort to fitting a tube.

Do you tend to trust a tyre again tubeless that has burped or is it more likely to happen again?

It’s a Spesh Purgatory for the record. Yes, inappropriate for downhill tracks most likely but it’s what I had.

It was never the tightest fitting tyre but then I’ve had months of trouble free tubeless use out of it since set up new with plenty of schralping..

Anything else you do to help prevent further burpage? More wraps of tape for instance?

molgrips
    Free Member

I only ever use rim strips. Consequently I have no advice to offer about burping because it never happens to me. Or is this advice?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It’s more likely to happen again from my experience, but will probably be fine. It’s also a rear , front could be more problematic if it fails. Keep riding it

mmannerr

Spesh Purgatory on narrowish rims didn’t really work for me. After first burp it was burping all the time and had to be scrapped. For some reason burped Maxxis tyres have worked ok after adding air.

oikeith

I was having issues with my Spesh slaughter grid feeling wallowy in corners with one or two tiny burps,I ran some more PSI and it went away.

I now use the weight in stone x2 plus 2 for my tyre pressures and works really well in all terrains.

kayak23

I now use the weight in stone x2 plus 2 for my tyre pressures and works really well in all terrains.

Best get myself a high pressure pump… 😳

All my tyres when brand new have gone up tubeless beautifully but I think they must stretch to a degree when used as they never seem to be quite so secure.

I’ll try it out and if not, maybe it’s time for a new tyre.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

This happened to me on the front under hard cornering while at BPW, resulted in an OTB and a bent front wheel.

I now run an extra 5 psi in the front…

TheBrick
    Free Member

What pressure were you running out of interest?

philjunior
    Free Member

I like it, SCIENCE that method is.

kayak23

TheBrick – Member
    What pressure were you running out of interest?

I usually go by the squeeze gauge, but my track pump says just under 30psi, is roughly what I aim for. A little less in slop.

The Purgatory control has relatively light sidewalls though and I didn’t have my dh wheels with dual ply tyres so I’m not entirely surprised they didn’t cope with Revs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Once burped, twice shy?’ is closed to new replies.