Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Once a bike goes on the turbo………..
  • RustySpanner

….is there any hope it will ever be used on the road again?

It’s now just a piece of furniture, isn’t it?
    😐

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bottom of the bike food chain, mine does ok out of hand me down bits from the outdoor bikes. Probably sees as many hours use a year as all the other bikes combined too.

For faff free turbo a dedicated permanent setup is a must IMO.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Nope, on the turbo monday to friday, on the road weekends for me. I change the rear wheel to a turbo-only one.

aracer
    Free Member

Nice road bike went on the turbo all winter, winter bike on the road. Then I bought a new nice bike, and the old one never came off the turbo.

zippykona

A turbo was all the inspiration to take up running that I needed.
    Hateful thing.

Northwind

The XC bike I’m building is probably getting bolted to the turbo for winter. It may never be ridden on the dirt.

oafishb
    Free Member

Oh come on chaps!
    You just need the right motivational accoutrements; ie Training software (trainerroad with sufferfest) and setup space (garage or suchlike)

I only have one bike and its a fairly nice one. It goes on the turbo in the garage for a session on Monday evening, maybe Wednesday as well and then off again for the early Saturday morning chain gang. And this will happen throughout the winter.

I’ve never understood why folk dislike them so much….but I appreciate that everyone has different tastes and respect that. I love mine.

Northwind

I watch TV on mine. It’s still awful.

prawny

Before I started commuting again I was using Zwift on a fairly regular basis, much more fun than regular turboing imho.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I tried various training programmes. It went from brutally dull to moderately dull.

I’d rather go out running in the cold and rain.

jameso

Probably not.

You just need the right motivational accoutrements; ie Training software (trainerroad with sufferfest) and setup space (garage or suchlike)

Use a hack bike made of parts here, 5-speed part of a cassette, old worn-sidewall road wheels and a rear tube with water in so it doesn’t overheat – too cheap for a ‘turbo tyre’. Set up in the garage in front of a wall that has a shelf for the timer. Channel some Stamstad mentality and go.

.. hate the thing : ) but it works.

wilburt
    Free Member

Feeling a bit guilty at the moment as one of my favourite ever bikes is now on permanent turbo duty. It is about the most hardcore duty yoy put a bike through, try taking the bar tape of a regulat turbo bike.

For those who find the turbo dull your not doing it right, watching TV or some of the old workout programmes do not compare to Zwift which is another genre of cycling just like,mtb, road, track etc. Get a bigh TV and proper set up.

Its so real I fully expect the STW usuals (who dont actually ride) telling me I need to Discs and a Helmet for my next spin round Watopia.

beej

My turbo bike runs SRAM Red 22, has a P2M Rotor 3D crankset and Easton EA90SL tubeless wheels. It’s my main training bike in the summer though.

lunge

Nah, my turbo bike is my winter bike, it gets swapped out as needed. I’ve got a turbo specific rear wheel and even swapping that over it’s only 10 mins to set up.

It’ll never replace a real ride but it’s very good for 20 or 30 minute HIIT sessions when I haven’t got time for a real ride. I’m too bust blowing out of my backside to get bored if I do those.

DT78
    Free Member

My turbo bike is my commuter. Turbo in the morning, whack the wheel back on a cycle to work.

Having cracked a carbon frame round the bb from use in a turbo personally I wouldn’t use a nice bike on one

fifeandy
    Free Member

No, its not permanent.
    ‘Best’ bike lives on trainer from start of October to end of March, then come out to play again in Spring/Summer.

2010 bike though, so suspect Summer 2017 maybe be its last hurrah.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

For those who find the turbo dull your not doing it right

No, on the contrary, i’m doing it exactly right. By not doing it at all.

mboy
    Free Member

My turbo is still in a box 24 months after purchase! Really should take it to work and sell it…

Or… Now that I have a nice summer bike that really won’t come out in winter at all, maybe it’ll get bolted to the turbo and I’ll actually use it. In which case, SRAM Red eTap, Reynolds assaults, full Carbon FSA and Ritchey kit etc. Will make it a pretty snazzy ornament in the spare room!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No, on the contrary, i’m doing it exactly right. By not doing it at all.

I guess you haven’t got Britain’s toughest sportive coming up?

I’ve outfitted my pain cave with a smart TV, surround sound and an Eddie Merckx motivational poster.

So far this Autumn, I have cycled twelve hundred miles whilst watching nine seasons of the X Files. You’ll have to drag me kicking and screaming back out onto the roads next spring.

weeksy

My turbo bike never comes off, I don’t ride on the roads at all.

I’ve put in over 80 miles this week on turbo and 40 on dirt.

aracer
    Free Member

2010 bike though, so suspect Summer 2017 maybe be its last hurrah

My permanent turbo bike is 1998 vintage and got retired to that in 2010, so I guess it had a fair life. Though in fact its replacement has never been raced.

grahamt1980

Got a direct drive turbo so i just drop the xc bike on it and all i have to do is put the back wheel in again and head off

spacemonkey

So far only used the MTB on the turbo. That was mainly for tabata sessions that I felt no benefit from. Haven’t figured out where to relocate it in the new house so I have to make do with riding on real roads and real trails … Although that has been on the wane of late due to time.

greentricky
    Free Member

Watching a cheap bike on ebay that will hopefully take up winter turbo duties, how indulgent

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

A turbo was all the inspiration to take up running that I needed.

Running was all the inspiration to buy some rollers that I needed.

iainc

Rollers here rather than turbo. Usually pop track bike on it when I feel the need.

scaredypants

I’ve outfitted my pain cave with a smart TV, surround sound and an Eddie Merckx motivational poster.

😀

TiRed

Teen1’s CAAD8 is on the turbo being watched by best, race and TT bike. He’s away so I need to store it somewhere. Sufferfest for me.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

What is more boring the turbo or the threads about the turbo is or isn’t boring ? Does a turbo make a sound in the pain cave if no one is there to sweat bullets on it?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Once a bike goes on the turbo………..’ is closed to new replies.