Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 180 total)
  • 'On your bikes,' Hub pair told by forestry landlord
  • project
    Free Member

Theyre not being chucked off site, their tenancy has ended, they failed to provide what the FC wanted for the future, 30 jobs may be going but the new owners will need staff and staff who know what to do and also know the area, if the 2 girls want to stay they should apply to the new owners for a job.

Just a hyped up story by a small local paper.

Northwind

“big_n_daft – Member

the real question is who won? and what are they going to do with the concession?”

If I’ve got it right nobody’s won yet, the Hub’s just fallen at the first elimination stage.

druidh
    Free Member

Guy and Brunger had to break the bad news to staff that they had fallen at the second hurdle of a tendering process to run the café and bike hire business at the new Peel centre, after being told by e-mail last week.

But aye – there could still be a final decision to be made….

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

dh

just means they got through the (very rough) sift of tenders. Unless there is a legal challenge the decision has been made.

Were I the winner of the tender I would certainly invite the current lease holders to talks but it would be a candid interview. They have undoubted local experience and knowledge but I would want to see what they could bring to the party to see if a partnership might be mutually beneficial.

cynic-al
    Free Member

brycey you’d invest in new premises when your lease is to end shortly and there’s new premises being built?

I’m not Alan Sugar but that smells like BUSINESS FAIL and YOU’RE FIRED.

hora
    Free Member

Brycey well put and that’s the first time for a longtime I’ve seen such a persuasive point put forward

hora
    Free Member

On cyb cafe. I remember it being utterly apalling when I first moved here. My non-biking missus had the nerve to ask where her food was and they just stared and walked off. I thin it took circa 30mins and there were only two other tables occupied at that earlier hour. Haven’t bothered since.

coogan
    Free Member

I’m not Alan Sugar but that smells like BUSINESS FAIL and YOU’RE FIRED.

😆

leffeboy

Iirc it was actually Arthur Philips who had the business there first but it wasn’t until the hub that it really took off as a centre. Maybe the same will be true again and it could grow even further

cynic-al
    Free Member

For me, BIGGER =/= BETTER

leffeboy

Got to agree with you there Al. I’m not completely sure what bigger would give us here

Northwind

cynic-al – Member

“For me, BIGGER =/= BETTER”

OK, but all other things being equal, big enough equals better than not big enough.

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

More investment on the trails, certainly on the red and especially on the black would be more important to me rather than full rrp (and more) bike kit at the trail head and expensive coffee / tea and soggy, oily carrot cake IMHO.

geoffj

More investment on the trails, certainly on the red and especially on the black would be more important to me rather than full rrp (and more) bike kit at the trail head and expensive coffee / tea and soggy, oily carrot cake IMHO.

I suspect you’re not the target audience though.

DavieL
    Free Member

I remember GT before the hub. A guy took a survey in the car park and we asked for a basic cafe and some changing facilities and thats what we got. I wonder who asked for a shopping centre in the middle of the woods?

My only issue with the hub was the lack of competition. The new place will just be the same. Why not run both and let the punters choose where they want to spend their money?

legend
    Free Member

My only issue with the hub was the lack of competition. The new place will just be the same. Why not run both and let the punters choose where they want to spend their money?

sadly that’ll never happen, even i there were two options. Find me any ski (closest thing to a trail centre imo) resort in the world with reasonably cheap food and I may change my mind

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bigger – perhaps we could sit inside when its busy?

You must remember this new centre is not just aimed at the MTBers but at walkers, birdwatchers, horseriders as well.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

It’s progress, I guess.

I live just up the road in Edinburgh, and used to go to GT all the time, and loved it. I don’t think I’ve been down in the last few years just because it’s a PITA to get to without a car (riding down is quite a chore) and it always seems pretty busy.

As for the Hub, their food was always pretty good but tbf I’d eat pretty much anything after a ride, and I always thought the cafe was a bit on the pricey side.

geoffj

So who do we reckon is in the frame for it then?
    Tiso / Alpine Bikes perhaps?

grizzpup
    Free Member

Aside from the mawkish sentiment shown towards the current owners, the reality is that the current set up is basic, the food about average and IME not that friendly.

People get sentimental about cafes and ‘in scene’ hang-outs such as the Stoney Middelton climbers cafe, Pete’s Eats Llanberis, Clachaig Inn, Glencoe etc… The reality is if the external experience at these places was removed they would be regarded as average, or worse, places to eat, drink and relax.

I may be in a minority but I think that the new development is exciting. Scotland needs to up its game across all sorts of tourism and leisure experiences, the team at Aonach Mor are trying big style to improve, why shouldn’t Glentress.

I fully support the idea of more competition – better to let the hub stay and fight it out with the new place, would make both try harder.

I also second the argument that it’s the trails that should be extended and improved. If Costa, Starbucks and MacDonalds are prepared to give loads of cash for trail development, maintenance and improvement, let them in…..

I stand by for burning at the stake!

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Dobbies!

ton

my two penneth………….when the old cafe was open at cyb, i used it everytime i went, either with the blokes riding, or with the family whilst holidaying.
    when the new one over the road opened, i used that too, but after a couple of very annoying and crap experiences i now take my own fodder when i go to cyb.

i have always used the cafe at the hub……………i just hope this does not go the same way as the one at cyb.

Brycey
    Free Member

Cynic-al, my work hires cabins. Think they’re about £30/week if you haggle, and you can keep them as long or short as you like. I wasn’t suggesting they built a high-rise.

G
    Free Member

The 7 Stanes are not independantly profitable sites. There has been considerable concern on here about the current governments plans for the forest estate.

Think this through people, you are not going to get cheap subsidised riding, top class facilities and the cafe of your choice any longer without some financial input coming in from somewhere. Personally, if the Cafe at CYB or GT is the cost of keeping the venue in the FC’s hands rather than seeing the whole site sold off to some investor, then whilst I sympathise with the current lease holders, I can actually live it. Regretably on its own I very much doubt if the change regarding the cafe will be enough on its own to defer the inevitable though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

G – Member

…………… There has been considerable concern on here about the current governments plans for the forest estate.

Only in England. The Scottish situation is different

TooTall
    Free Member

The FC are building a new centre there – with a 200 cover restaurant – quite a step up methinks and a desire to see bigger numbers there. None of this is secret.

DrT
    Free Member

leffeboy – Member
    Iirc it was actually Arthur Philips who had the business there first but it wasn’t until the hub that it really took off as a centre. Maybe the same will be true again and it could grow even further

Gosh, theres a blast from the past. Arthur was also responsible for waymarking the original trails at GT/tweed valley. I wonder what happened to him. Interestingly I doubt many people will remember him and his place in GT development, but he was certainly responsible for prompting the FC to start to develop the GT MTB trails.

G
    Free Member

Only in England. The Scottish situation is different

I think you will find that running at a loss has the same ultimate outcome whereever it happens, especially when Sugar Daddy is out of candy.

druidh
    Free Member

G – Member

I think you will find that running at a loss has the same ultimate outcome whereever it happens, especially when Sugar Daddy is out of candy.

In English for the hard of thinking?

dazzlingboy

Think this through people, you are not going to get cheap subsidised riding, top class facilities and the cafe of your choice any longer without some financial input coming in from somewhere.

That kind of sensible chat isn’t going to get you far!

Like it or not, these kind of facilities are going to have to become at least slightly more self sufficient. They need to start generating money, although I doubt they will ever run at a profit. None of us will be forced to use it, and if other riders do, and thereby keep the trails open for all of us for a minimal parking charge, then I can live with it..

Ps I’m a huge fan if the current set up, but the writing is on the wall unfortunately.

Northwind

G – Member

“I think you will find that running at a loss has the same ultimate outcome whereever it happens, especially when Sugar Daddy is out of candy.”

“Sugar daddy” 🙄 GT and places like it make great financial sense, any government that can’t understand that a lossmaking attraction brings greater benefit to the surrounding area is doomed basically. It’s cheap at twice the price.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

DrT – Member

leffeboy – Member

Gosh, theres a blast from the past. Arthur was also responsible for waymarking the original trails at GT/tweed valley. I wonder what happened to him. Interestingly I doubt many people will remember him and his place in GT development, but he was certainly responsible for prompting the FC to start to develop the GT MTB trails.

I remember selling bikes to Arthur Phillips from Williamson’s in Stockbridge and helping test out trails with him at GT and Innerleithen with Phil Williamson.

druidh
    Free Member

and then the glaciers came along and they had to start again?

Kit
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned Carron Valley yet?

( 😉 JOKE for marty et al )

DickBarton

You have Kit, so what do you think you know?

That is also a joke as we all know you know nothing about CV.

hora
    Free Member

If mcds was involved I wouldn’t ride there as my son might learn to associate burgers with exercise ……………………..yep I know about their involvement with football.

Kit
    Free Member

You have Kit, so what do you think you know?

That is also a joke as we all know you know nothing about CV.

*bites tongue…

dazzlingboy

What is all this CV chat I keep seeing on here? I presume you mean Carron Valley? What’s all the fuss about – must’ve missed this chat from the depth of my snowy cave! Someone want to rake over old coals and enlighten the rest of us? (or am I the only one not in the know?)

geoffj

What is all this CV chat I keep seeing on here? I presume you mean Carron Valley? What’s all the fuss about – must’ve missed this chat from the depth of my snowy cave! Someone want to rake over old coals and enlighten the rest of us? (or am I the only one not in the know?)

Fill yer boots

http://www.carronvalley.org.uk/

dazzlingboy

aaahhhh – now I understand – lots of light reading on there!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘'On your bikes,' Hub pair told by forestry landlord’ is closed to new replies.