Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • On the go chargers
  • lunge

I believe you can get portable chargers that let you charge a Garmin without it turning off, could anyone point me in the direction of such things.

Google shows lots but I fear they may be wrong. I think the proper on the go jobs have a modified USB port maybe?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Use an on the go lead rather than the USB lead you get for charging.

nickdavies

Go on Amazon, any of the anker ones will work just pick the best trade off between capacity and size/shape if it’s going on the bike. If you’re with EE you can get one of their free ones. I’ve got one about 15000 mah which is good for several garmin charges but a bit of a brick to lug around to charge on the go, it’s better chucked in the backpack and used to charge the garmin overnight if you’re away.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

Recent thread about them for phones, assume you’d need the same kind of device

jon_n
    Free Member

Not all garmins will allow you to charge them while they are running / powered on though. If it turns off when you connect the charging cable / cradle to a mains charger, it’s going to when you connect it to a battery pack too…

lunge

Jon_n, this is the problem. I have a vague recollection that some kind of cable stops it turning off though I may be wrong.

jon_n
    Free Member

I think it’s dependant on the device not the cable, or possibly the charging mode setting if you can choose. My Fenix3 needs to be in ‘Garmin’ USB mode, not USB mass storage from what I can tell.

I think my old 610 would carry on working while plugged in, my friend’s 620 would end the activity when you plugged it in (I remember him borrowing a 910 or one of the bigger tri watches when he did his first ultramarathon, then swapping to a fenix2). Not sure about the Edge’s…

Which device do you have?

trail_rat
    Free Member

With edges its the cable not the device i knowthat much.

Dcrainmaker has a link to modifying the cable iirc its port 3 of usb interface that garmin looks for voltage protocol to go into charging mode- by removig that your garmin runs from the usb without shutting down.

Did mine years ago so hazy but it works.

Of course if you buy te genuine garmin edge on the go kit you get a manufactured cable to this spec

jon_n
    Free Member

Didn’t know that about the edges… Google suggests:

Garmin Edge USB power hack

http://pinoutsguide.com/GPS/garmin_nuvi_power_pinout.shtml

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘On the go chargers’ is closed to new replies.