Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • On slidey dropouts how do you align the brake caliper?
  • BlobOnAStick

I have a slidey drop-out bike (Genesis iO) which has a slotted brake caliper mount so that the caliper can be aligned with the wheel depending on where the axle is located (not like other bikes where the whole drop-out moves including the brake mounting.)

I noticed some odd noises coming from the brake and realised that either the caliper has slipped in the slots or the bike shop hadn’t aligned it properly.

Question is, how do you make sure the caliper is in the right location?

uplink
    Free Member

Just make sure that the top of the friction material on the pads is level with the edge of the disc & it should be OK

nickc

Do it up tighter. But it’ll pretty much always move, as it’s a function of where the brake is mounted. It’s why Brant started putting his in between the chain and seat stay rather than on the back of the seat stay

BlobOnAStick

Hmm. I’ve done it up nice and tight now – it was only finger tight when I went to adjust it, so we’ll see how it goes. I can well imagine that it’ll migrate back to the stops again.

The thing is, the friction material stays at the top of the disc all the way through the adjustment range, but the angle at which the disc moves through the pad changes, which can result in braking forces on the retention pin.

I was just wondering if there was a recognised method.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘On slidey dropouts how do you align the brake caliper?’ is closed to new replies.