Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • On One Whippet – creaky bottom bracket?
  • p7rich
    Free Member

A few weeks after being built my Whippet has developed a loud creak in the bottom bracket (other potential sources eliminated). It’s a Shimano press-fit jobbie.

A bit of t’internet reading suggests thread-locking the shells into the frame, as just greasing will not eliminate the undesired movement causing the creak…but I’m a bit unsure about gluing my BB into the frame!

Any experience, advice, etc??

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ve asked on one yes?

You’d think there would be a grade of loctite that would make it easily removable.

p7rich
    Free Member

I “asked On One” if the Hope headset would fit. They said yes. It didn’t.

Steve928
    Free Member

Sorry can’t help with the Shimano BB, but I can vouch for the KCNC one as being creak free: it has 2 recessed O rings in each cup which keep them really snug in the frame, plus a tight centre joint which also helps.

Search ‘KCNC BB90’ on eBay for a pic.

It comes with 2 spare top hats too, which is nice.

p7rich
    Free Member

Thanks Steve. I’ll ‘ave a look. Have you had a KCNC one in a Whippet?

Irish_AL
    Free Member

check this out, I know its from FSA but would assume it applies to all BB30 pressfits

p7rich
    Free Member

does help when I add the link

Interesting…they talk about Loctiting the shells to the frame cups…but also suggest greasing everything…and i don’t think you can do both. Deffo reinforces the options I’d considered though.

andyl
    Free Member

Saw those KCNC BBs at Bespoked Bristol. Good way to get around all the problems created by the BB90 standard!

stylish
    Free Member

When i built mine, i ran a drop of gease around the BB shell, its the shimano one and it has been creak free.

Depending who you speak too at on One you might get an answer, but most likely not the one you would expect.

Jason
    Free Member

My wife is running one of the KCNC ones on her Whippet. Creak free so far – although I think the FSA BB that was fitted before it was creak free too.

The KCNC one does look very nice, a shame it is hidden in the frame! As long as the bearings last a while I will replace it like for like when it does die.

o96192083
    Free Member

Interesting…they talk about Loctiting the shells to the frame cups…but also suggest greasing everything…and i don’t think you can do both. Deffo reinforces the options I’d considered though.

When i built mine, i ran a drop of gease around the BB shell, its the shimano one and it has been creak free.

If we’re talking Carbon Whippet, greasing isn’t the best idea…

andyl
    Free Member

neither is any generic threadlock as it degasses during curing and can seriously damage the resin. You want to speak to loctite about what can and can’t be used tbh. I’d go for the KCNC with some carbon safe grease or possibly some carbon assembly paste although I would worry about that fretting as there will be some movement due to the seals.

Steve928
    Free Member

>> Thanks Steve. I’ll ‘ave a look. Have you had a KCNC one in a Whippet?

Yes, the KCNC is in a Whippet.

tony24
    Free Member

That kcnc bb is fine except when you have to use them stupid plastic bushes with the shimano spline. Theey wear out to quick and are stupidly easy to break !

p7rich
    Free Member

Thanks all.

(just for info – the fact it’s carbon isn’t really relevant. All greasing and gluing options only involve interface between BB and integrated metal cups set in frame. No carbon involved in execution of this fix!)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seems well odd that an o-ring would be Io a press fit component (presuming that’s what it is), and unlikely it would stop any creaking.

p7rich
    Free Member

BB dismantled , liberally re-greased, reassembled and ridden. Noise is just as bad as ever. Noticed drive-side shell is far from a snug fit, easily pops in/out and likes mating with the crank spindle more than the frame cups. FSA alternative ordered from On One as they expressly recommend it for the Whippet (i’ll need it eventually regardless). Fingers crossed. 😕

andyl
    Free Member

A lot of frames don’t have the metal insert for the press fit BB and just have the carbon frame to push the bearings into. Hence the concern for the carbon with regards to thread locking compounds.

Sounds like there is tolerance issues with the metal insert.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I know 2 people who have had replacement frames due to excessive wear in the bb shell……

keep this in mind 😯

p7rich
    Free Member

I know 2 people who have had replacement frames due to excessive wear in the bb shell……

keep this in mind

Hi CIS. Are you referring to Whippet frames specifically?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘On One Whippet – creaky bottom bracket?’ is closed to new replies.