Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • On-One Tyres – chunky monkey / smorgasbord. Any opinions?
  • tmb467
    Free Member

Looking at running em tubeless with monkey up front and t’other on the rear

Not too bothered about weight but costs look ok

yunki
    Free Member

just fitted that combo onto my rigid Soul this morning, in the enduro compound..

I won’t get a chance to try them in anger until tomorrow, but I can report that they are big carcasses, stickier than the schwalbes that they are replacing and from a quick spin up to the top of the road earlier I don’t really have any worries about rolling resistance..

there are a few more discussions on this if you use the forum search function..

djbmtb
    Free Member

Run that set up been out a few times on them and so far only got good things to say about them. I’m sure someone will moan about the weight but as it says on the chunky monkey page if you’re worried about weight these tyres are not for you. Grip is really good on wet roots, been riding sections faster than ever with these tyres. And price is spot on.

djbmtb
    Free Member

Oh yes and went up really easily tubeless as well

andybanks
    Free Member

I run smorgasbord front and rear. On a club ride on Wednesday we went through some really muddy crap and I seemed to grip better than most others.

I personally won’t buy anything else now.

mboy
    Free Member

They’re a Maxxis carcass and compounds, so you they setup tubeless pretty easily and the rubber compound is good.

Ran a Smorgasbord for a while and didn’t get on with it myself though. On the front I found it washed out too readily on any terrain, on the rear I found it ideal for rocky and hard packed terrain, but less so for more softer “natural” trails if you will. As a rear tyre for attacking trail centres and places like the Peaks I’d definitely recommend one. For me I just found it too loose in other conditions to recommend at all.

Highly personal subject though tyres! One thing I can say about the Smorgasbord was that for a BIG 2.25″ tyre with a chunky tread that it rolled well. Wasn’t even that heavy for what it is either. Oh and they’re quite tall, as in they’re taller than they are wide if that makes sense… Best suited to a wide rim, I ran on Mavic 521’s and I’d recommend wider still personally.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

tmb467 – Member
    Looking at running em tubeless with monkey up front and t’other on the rear
    Not too bothered about weight but costs look ok

Got this set up on my full susser and tubless without any problems.
    10/10 from me

tmb467
    Free Member

Thanks all – as ever this forum is a font of knowledge

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘On-One Tyres – chunky monkey / smorgasbord. Any opinions?’ is closed to new replies.