Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • On-One track hubs
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Anyone fitted a BMX style freewheel to their’s?

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Yes I have, no problem at all. There is slightly less thread than you would get on a proper freewheel hub but its done about 1000 miles and been fine.

oldgit
    Free Member

Thanks, that’ll do me.

oldgit
    Free Member

Are you running a basic freewheel or something like a WI? as I was wondering how long they typically last on the road. My only experience is of them off road, and that wasn’t too good.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

I run Shimano DX freewheels. A mate at work stuck a WI on at the same time I fitted my new DX. I got through 3 dx’s before his WI needed work. BUT, his WI needed new bearing and sprocket which worked out at about £40 IIRC. WI’s are great but not necessarily cost effective in the long run.

I do also repack my DX freewheels with good thick grease now and then. It works for me.

I would reckon on about 1000 – 1500 miles on a DX on the road weather depending. HTH.

barrykellett
    Free Member

My DX freewheels are lasting about the same Mr Farmers choice.

Frustrating and trying to decide whether to go with a whites or not

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

From practical experience, I find that WI freewheels are indeed a whole lot better quality than a DX but I can still get 4 DX to 1 WI.

My point is that it costs the same to run either. But less maintenance on the WI and no (or very few indeed) bad engagements and slips. The WI makes a quite loud ratchety noise when free wheeling to. I prefer the DX in this respect as its silent.

Kuco

Is this the on-one 120mm flip flop hub?

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Yes, but technically its a fixed/fixed as there is thread for a lockring on both sides.

The On One does seem to have more cog thread than other track hubs I have seen though.

Kuco

Interesting as i’m looking for cheap hub that can take a fixed/free set up. What are they like weight wise?

epicyclo

Not much advantage once you have added the heavy freewheel 🙂

Kuco

It’s just that I had one of their 135mm ss hubs a few years ago and iirc it was made out of cast iron 😀

epicyclo

Mine is 303 gms.

Kuco

For £15 I really can’t go wrong.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Yes, at £15 an end you just can’t lose. I’ve got the gold ones which have solid flanges not cut outs like the picture. I am convinced they are identical to the Dia Compe Grande Comp hubs but with a hollow axle and probably cheaper bearings.

epicyclo

I built up a set of wheels with Novatec hubs at the same time as I did the On-One hub. The weights were the same and they had the same cutout. To me they looked identical.

mangoridebike

Is there anyone who makes a disc mount that will screw on to the fixed/free hubs?

Having tried fixed and not got on with it I fancy turning it into a nice strong SS wheel, but need to find a adaptor to let me fit a disc to it.

epicyclo
    epicyclo

I’ve been looking for that disk adapter since my last post (it’s bugging me now) but I can’t find them.

It may be possible to convert a fixie cog to a disk carrier – the spacing from the calliper may have to be finessed though.

Edit: just found this using Bing Bicycle Designer (USA)

mangoridebike

Thanks very much for you help on this, that looks spot on. Have you any experience of buying from that site?

Cheers

epicyclo

Never used them.

epicyclo

This should do the job

I’m pretty sure the Arai drum uses the same threads as a freewheel. You could ask SJS first.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my shimano freewheel has lasted a couple of years on the road.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘On-One track hubs’ is closed to new replies.