• This topic has 18 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Andy.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • On One Ti 29er
  • lowey

Anyone got one and care to share your thoughts or experiences ?

Here.

Looks good value for the money and I have a C2W offer coming up.

Cheers all.

wwaswas

It says 456 on the top tube – is that the 29er frame?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

No experience of that particular frame but my 456Ti (Van Nic) was a beautiful thing, whilst it lasted…
    Loved it, right up to the point when all the front triangle welds failed, on a drop-off!!!
    Seeing the thin section of the tubes at the failed welds put me right off Ti as a frame material. Just too thin to weld reliably without compromising the strength. And if Van Nic can’t get it right, then I’d not be inclined personally to risk offerings from any less well known manufacturers.
    To be fair to on-one, they warrantied without question.
    If it’s for pure XC though, and you’re not subjecting it to the rigours of big mountain abuse, then it’s probably better suited.

Rubber_Buccaneer
    kelron
    Free Member

That picture’s definitely a different bike.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yes, well, in the OP’s link the 29er has 27.5 tyres 😀

lowey

Pics are nearly always wrong on that website.

So.. forgetting about the pic, has anyone actually ridden one and got any real life feedback ? It does look a good deal to me.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m seeing the same frame as mine in the link – the small frame has cable guides on top tube, med/large frames run along the down tube.
    Also, only the Ti 29er has rear thru axle from the current On-One Ti offerings.

Seriously hoping my welds don’t fail(!) , Rides lovely, lots of modern touches, seems a genuine steal at £1199 on that deal.
    FYI, I don’t think it’ll take wider than 2.25/2.3 on the rear.
    Also, the upper cable guide on the down tube fouls the fork caps on full lock. Annoying.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Just when I thought On-One had paid full attention when specifying a frame..

(cable guide removed in this pic)

amedias
    Free Member

Seeing the thin section of the tubes at the failed welds put me right off Ti as a frame material. Just too thin to weld reliably without compromising the strength

Steel tubesets are often thinner than their equivalent Ti…

Typical ‘normal’ gauge for a butted downtube on road frame for example would be 0.8-0.5-0.8 for steel, a burlier touring spec might be 0.9-0.6-0.9 or 1.0-0.7-1.0 for very heavy duty use, but light weight tubesets often 0.7-0.4-0.7 and 0.3 is not unheard of.

Ti is most often PG 0.9mm, MTB tubests possibly thicker again.

It’s no so much the thickness of the tube with Ti that’s the issue, but the quality of the weld and difficulty of doing it properly and uncontaminated. A bad weld in a thicker tube is still a bad weld. ‘Thinness’ isn’t the issue so to speak.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Sure is pretty tho..

slimjim78
    Free Member

Should add that it has a surprisingly sure footed front end – I came from a gas pipe Kona Unit 29er which I liked a lot, but the Ti 29er has a a stiffer front end.
    My previous experience of Ti frames was noodly to say the least, but the 44mm HT and tubing diameters seem to be just the ticket on this frame.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

It’s no so much the thickness of the tube with Ti that’s the issue, but the quality of the weld and difficulty of doing it properly and uncontaminated. A bad weld in a thicker tube is still a bad weld. ‘Thinness’ isn’t the issue so to speak.

Fair enough amedias, maybe the ability to weld Ti consistently well is the issue then. Welds were clearly the weak point but I’m far from clear why.

cookeaa

It’s pretty, and £1200 is a bargain for a full build on a Ti frame…

But, well, it’s an On-one…

And the Geometry looks a little “Conventional” (on paper at least) not that there’s anything wrong with that, but then there’s the Titus Ti Fireline Evo29 @£610, also available with an NX1 build for £1200.

The Titus frame seems to have about the same reach but with more “Party” angles, a shorter back end and apparently better (Under the TT) routing/fork crown clearance….

slimjim78
    Free Member

Agreed, and if you like jumping/hooning etc it would probably be a better choice.

But the Ti29er suits my bimbling quick blast/all day rides nicely – and I love the internal dropper routing and thru axle.

It also feels mighty stable at speed, I equalled a strava PB on my fastest downhill section without trying – felt in control the whole time.
    It’s apparently based on Mattakuskil(?) geometry, which is a well liked frame.

lowey

Bought it.

For a C2W bike, I’ll be using it as a local bimbler / foul weather bike.

Save the big bike for the lakes etc.

Cheers all.

Andy

Slimjim, what are the 3 main triangle tube diameters please 😀

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’ll check after my next big drop off and let you know Andy..

Lowey – good on you, id be interested to know what you think of it after you’ve had a good ride

Andy

Cheers!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘On One Ti 29er’ is closed to new replies.