Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • On One The Gimp, was it any good?
  • Mugboo

Last year I bought a Gimp frame cheap off eBay because I’ve owned most of their frames and it looked ace. It was cheap enough just to hang on the wall but I have enough parts to build it up, so should I?

I’ve never owned a jump bike and I assume that they’ve changed a lot since The Gimp, did anybody own one? Did they ride OK?

honourablegeorge

I hay be wrong, but jump bikes, give or take a disc brake or two, haven’t changed all that much compared to other bikes.

Mugboo

It’s disc brake and v brake ready but I might cut off the brake mounts, they look dangerous!

t-p26
    Free Member

I was witness to a broken collarbone on one once…..it may not have been the bike at fault though…

eddie11
    Free Member

The early ones had no disc and messed up clearance do only room for a 2.0. You had to pay on one by cheque but You did get a free turnip in the box.

I used one for a while as my only mountain bike with 1×8 and a z1 drop off. It was quite fun. It descended so well probably because it was so heavy.

ads678

My sisters boyfriend has a planet x gimp (assume it’s the same) built up with triple clamp marzzochi junior T’s, hope brakes, triple chainset and mahoosive DH tyres and probably less than 700mm bars. I don’t think I’d fancy pedalling it anywhere!!

Mugboo

🙂 t-p 26!

Yep it would make a great anchor!

If I had to buy lots of parts I wouldn’t bother but as I have, why not..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A mate had one about ten to fifteen years ago. I thought it was a bit shit; really heavy (most bikes were then though) and the back end was probably too long. But he did have 24’s (Halo Combats) in it. It was definitely no DMR!!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘On One The Gimp, was it any good?’ is closed to new replies.