Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • On One Space Chicken – reviews?
  • velocipede
    Free Member

Still not many reviews kicking around…..

Did anyone on here take the plunge?

If you did, are you running 650 or 700c? What tyre choices??

I like the look of the 650b spec but would want some grippy tyres for offroad……

AlexSimon

Cheaper now, but I see they’ve changed the spec slightly too.
    Cranks and tyres.

dave_h
    Free Member

Have never even seen one in the flesh but I’d say there’s a fair to middling chance that your seatpost will slip, you’ll find there’s barely any clearance when you fit the size of tyre you really want and you’ll be heart broken when they’re selling them off for £150 in 8 months time.

Other than that, they look great and I’ll be saving some money, thin tyres and a coke can for a shim come next July.

AlexSimon

Indeed – in fact everyone I know who has bought a CX bike from on-one has suffered with cables that pop out of the levers, but on-one have been pretty unhelpful (usual denial, followed by return-to-base, no fault found, etc, etc).
    We can only assume it’s a SRAM problem – but of course getting past the on-one support wall can be challenging.

But, I can’t think of a better bike for £1500 than the Space Chicken, as long as you realise the limitations of certain parts of the spec (wheel weight being my #1)

BadlyWiredDog

Someone I know reviewed one for an online mag called Totally Active. Erm, here I think.

He really liked it. It was in 650B mode with fat, fast Panaracer gravel tyres on it and keeping up with it on a cross bike on anything other than smooth tarmac was difficult. It was the wrong size for me, but it looked nicely designed and detailed.

That said, as the owner of an On One Dirty Disco that cost me 400 quid for frame and forks brand new from Planet X on eBay, it seemed expensive to me and you kind of know it’ll end up for sale at half the current price some time in the next 12 months. Depends on whether that bothers you I guess.

damascus
    Free Member

I think the only people who bash px and oo are people who buy stuff at full price.

Most of us buy from them in the sale as we know their prices yoyo and at some of the prices they sell stuff at we put up with the odd coke can shim and caliper file etc.

antigee

bought irregularly over the years from P-X OnOne and been lucky enough to have only ever had good experiences – fortunately never had to return anything fancied a space chicken but think they are 1x only so bought a frameset only Bish Bash Bosh when the price suited me and its a hoot to ride on and off road and is a very well finished product – only odd thing is the huge cable routing hole at the bottom of the BB i can imagine being filled with frozen mud in the UK – here in sunny* Aus less of an issue

*35degs on Thurs, 100mm of rain over the weekend:(

I’ve had the Chicken for a few months now. I got the original 650b wheelset – tough maybe, but light they are not. Fitted with 47mm WTB Byways it is a steamroller on the roads – super cush. That said, I think 47s are overkill so I’ve just put on some G One’s 38s. Will probably upgrade the wheels to Crest Mk3s/Bitex from JRA. For the money though, it’s hard to beat. The Force groupset is excellent. Finishing kit not so great, but replaced with cheap/light Hylix stuff from China. Fine off road, just not zippy with the Byways. I’d buy again. Few mods and, if you were inclined, and it would be a cheaper Cutthroat for TD duties.

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

“I think the only people who bash px and oo are people who buy stuff at full price.”

I bought mine in a sale but no amount of discount makes it OK to sell shit frames then lie your way out of your warranty

</div>

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘On One Space Chicken – reviews?’ is closed to new replies.