Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • On One soft tail…
  • HansRey
    Kryton57

Fugly IMO.

stuey
    Free Member

22.5″ – too big – I almost had enough change down the back of the sofa.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Ooh, it’s like 1992 all over again…..

PrinceJohn

that is fugly even by on-one standards, looks like something from the late 90s

mikewsmith
    Free Member

strip parts, ebay and Ti for scarp?

njee20
    Free Member

You’re alright! Bit of a weird one really, a lot of heritage, but bluntly most people won’t care! Surprised its that big, I don’t remember Julie being that tall. Awesome rider though.

brant
    Free Member

Seat tube has to be long to get all the gubbins in at the back.

FuzzyWuzzy

£5k for a second-hand fugly on-one? Have I woken up in a parallel universe?

HansRey

i quite like it, but i’d never spend that much money on a design like this. As for aesthetic values… i have marins and gts, none of which can be called pretty!

mos

22.5″, sheesh, how tall is this Julie Dibbens then?

njee20
    Free Member

Well I don’t honestly think she’s that much taller than me at 5’10”, but think she was rather long of leg!

As a one off and a world champs winner it’s cool, but as a bike it looks horrible!

d45yth
    Free Member

stuey – Member

22.5″ – too big – I almost had enough change down the back of the sofa.

brant – Member

Seat tube has to be long to get all the gubbins in at the back.
    If you look at the difference between where the seatclamp is and where the top tube is, you’ll see the frame is more like a “19.
    I’ve got a soft-tail with a similar design and even though the seat tube is 21.5, it’s actually a 17″ medium.
    For anyone wanting a Ti soft-tail though, you’d be as well buying a brand new Moots YBB.
    If your pockets aren’t that deep, you could always try my Siren Song…STW Classifieds. 😛
    Despite how ugly most of you think they look, they’re the ultimate long distance bikes…just enough squish to take the sting out the tail, no pivots to maintain/replace and an air shock that only requires 3 o-rings to do a full service.

brant
    Free Member

Just been looking at the drawings from when we made it. Front end geometry is as per 16in Scandal. It’s a 6in drop from the top of the seat tube to the top of the top tube.

clubber
    Free Member

It’s only huge if the top tube is relatively long too, as has been pointed out.

they’re the ultimate long distance bikes

Not really – a lightweight, efficient, proper full susser is that. they may well be the ultimate long distance low maintenance bikes (though I’ve seen softails need a fair bit of attention to the ‘shock’ in previous incarnations.

d45yth
    Free Member

clubber – Not really – a lightweight proper full susser is that. they may well be the ultimate long distance low maintenance bikes (though I’ve seen softails need a fair bit of attention to the ‘shock’ in previous incarnations.

I maybe should have said for bikepacking, with having a full, uninterupted front triangle, you can get a decent sized frame bag in there. Soft-tails have been quite popular with Tour Divide riders for this reason.

ski
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

strip parts, ebay and Ti for scarp?

fetch more than £5k? Good luck…

Rickos
    Free Member

Julie Dibens is well tall, innit.

_tom_
    Free Member

I think it looks gash. The niche whores will absolutely love it though.

bigrich

who have they been copying this time? seems reminiscent of an old Salsa dosniner.

glenh
    Free Member

Marmoset – Member
    Ooh, it’s like 1992 all over again…..

+1

brant
    Free Member

who have they been copying this time? seems reminiscent of an old Salsa dosniner.

It was made in September 2008, by Lynskey, who had experience of making soft-tail Ti frames, we were working with at the time, and fitted in with what we were doing then.

It meant we could get Julie a bike fast, to her spec, for the race in Maui at the end of October, so she could defend her world championship for the third time. http://www.xterraplanet.com/news/dsp_content.cfm?id=2570

She wanted FS, and 26in wheels – she had ridden a 29er hardtail back to back with a 26er hardtail and preferred the smaller wheels.

Never made production. Never was intended to.

njee20
    Free Member

She wanted FS

Surely you failed then? 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

she had ridden a 29er hardtail back to back with a 26er hardtail and preferred the smaller wheels.

No! Never!

Everyone knows that racers, especially taller ones, KNOW that 29ers are faster. This is a FACT, shirley?

😉

terrahawk
    Free Member

I used to have a Global softail. Loved it.
    bizarrely I then sold it.

njee20
    Free Member

This is a FACT, shirley?

Not in 2008, that only became a fact on 28th October 2010.

teamslug
    Free Member

Isn’t it just like a cannondale scalpel.Thats basically a softtail

slimjim78
    Free Member

’bout £3k overpriced.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We bought a bike VERY similar, in many ways, to that last year….

Not quite as rare, 60 in the UK
    Same colour, Grey
    Same price, £5000
    Well used but looked after
    Top notch suspension, drivetrain and brakes.
    Made by a legendary manufacturer

It was this:

IMG_2187 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘On One soft tail…’ is closed to new replies.