• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • On One Smorsgabord – which compound?
  • benz
    Free Member

The trail extreme on front and enduro back?

Thinking the 42a outer rubber better for front end grip without too much pedalling drag…

scandal42
    Free Member

I’m currently running trail extreme CM front and a trail extreme Smorg out back. I notice no considerable drag from those compounds as it’s only the outer edges that are softer so they don’t contact the road.

Plus the smorg extreme was cheaper 😆

Oh and I’ve had the CM on for a year and the tread is still looking great.

HindlePie
    Free Member

Was running the Trail Extreme Smorg on the rear last Sunday at BPW and could feel it really squirming about on some of the fast blue berms when leant right over at speed. Got quite scary at some points. Probably a combination of things but i’d go for the enduro more rigid compound instead next time.

jamesoz

I find the smorgasbord works well at quite high pressures esp on BPW type trails. I usually like to run pretty low pressures but the smorg seems fine at 40ish psi.

scandal42
    Free Member

Thought the same thing last night on my night ride James, wanted to run high psi due to running it tubeless for the 1st time but it seemed to work well even on wet slippery terrain.

BoardinBob

40ish psi

😯

I run my front CM at 17psi and my rear Smorg at 25psi

40 would be lethal

scandal42
    Free Member

Indeed 40 is a tad high 😀

jamesoz

Bob, I’m prob heavier than you @95kg on a good day but I have been known to run 25 psi to get some traction from a crap tyre or in soft conditions. For me hard pack trail centre trails are faster at higher pressures and a soft compound gives me more confidence to run higher pressures.
    Fast Bermy stuff like BPW will have big low pressure tyres on narrowish rims moving about due to higher than normal speeds and a grippy surface.

nickjb
    Free Member

I agree with james on this one. On swoopy trail centre stuff the CM and Smorg feel really nice at higher pressure. Maybe not 40 but probably over 30

BoardinBob

Bob, I’m prob heavier than you @95kg

Not by much however

You = 95kg @ 40psi = 2.375 kg/psi

Me = 86kg @ 25psi = 3.44kg/psi

Ran tubeless with zero burps or rim dings

scandal42
    Free Member

You are not taking into account rim differences

BoardinBob

Stans Flows

jamesoz

And suspension set up, riding style, colour of bike. Arguing about exact pressures is pointless.

aracer
    Free Member

I run 20psi in mine on a red rim.

votchy
    Free Member

I am heavier than both of you (105kg) and so far have found the enduro compound smorg on the rear pings off my local rooty trails at 28psi, felt better at 24psi on the rear with no appreciable increase in drag on tarmac, the CM enduro compound on the front, was the same at 24psi and now running at 20 psi. These are mounted tubeless (went up a doddle) on stans flow, 26″ flavour. See how they fare tonight in more moist conditions.

jamesoz

I should have just said, if they feel squirmy put some more air in ’till they don’t.

andyl
    Free Member

is it not just the edges that are the softer compound?

I am running the dual compounds front and rear on my scandal 29er at no more than 30psi. Can feel a bit squirmy on the rear at high speed on grippy surfaces like short dry grass but worth it for the excellent rear grip on rocky climbs.

cx_monkey

don’t run it on the front at all. it’s terrible…

nuke

Sure i read they’ll be a 2.3 tubeless ready smorg coming…anyone know when?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘On One Smorsgabord – which compound?’ is closed to new replies.