• This topic has 37 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • On-one Smorgasbords, any good?
  • DarrenH

Hello all,
    I’m thinking of giving a pair of Smorgasbord Trail EXTREME!! 29er tyres a go for my new build.
    Before I shell out, are they any good?
    Cheers ta

chojin
    Free Member

I quite like them, based in maxxis rubber they stick to wet rocks and roots a real treat.
    They could do with bigger knobbles on the side, but other than that, a good tyre.
    I run it on the rear, wouldn’t be able to tell you what it’s like on the front.

drofluf
    Free Member

I’d be wary of them. I fitted one to my bike and the bottom bracket died.

I’m not sure it’s linked but it seems too much of a coincidence 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    miranmtb
    Free Member

really happy with them. cheap (on sale), sturdy, fast rolling and good grip. they work really well in rocky and loose stuff. use them on the back with hans dampf on the front on my inbred 29. have the regular single compound version. the only downside for me is the weight (850g).

Markie
    Free Member

Any word on when the chunky monkeys arrive?

mboy
    Free Member

In depth info and reviews here…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/on-one-smorgasbord-tyres

Both myself and stoner gave pretty much the similar reports on said tyres. Personally the tyre could have been great, but for a few key details. It’s too bulbous/round, not enough edge bite and it lets go too quickly on anything other than hard/rocky terrain.

VERY sketchy on the front, and pretty sketchy on the rear still too. Lots of braking/climbing traction/grip mind. But didn’t instill me with any kind of confidence at all.

Nick

Personally I like them a lot, I don’t find them sketchy on the front at all, have made a big positive difference to my riding on the damp, loamy, muddy, rooty trails I ride, so pretty much exactly the opposite to mboy’s experience. Dual compound on the front, single cheaper version on the back.

tazzymtb

they like them on the twenty nine inches.com long term test

DarrenH

Thanks so far everyone, some good opinions.
    I’d say I’m more for than against at the moment 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

so pretty much exactly the opposite to mboy’s experience.

Hey, what do I know… I had an email from Brant not long after posting my views on the tyre saying he knew they’d kinda made a balls up with the design of the Smorgasbord, and it hadn’t turned out like they’d originally desired it might, and was asking for my input on helping him design the next tyre he was looking at making…

Clearly nothing! 😉

I’ll hazard a guess, but you think a Schwalbe Nobby Nic is a grippy tyre too? 🙄

bigrich

I’ll hazard a guess, but you think a Schwalbe Nobby Nic is a grippy tyre too?

short of being a DH tyre, yeah. are you sure you are riding your bike properly?

brant
    Free Member

Hey, what do I know… I had an email from Brant not long after posting my views on the tyre saying he knew they’d kinda made a balls up with the design of the Smorgasbord, and it hadn’t turned out like they’d originally desired it might, and was asking for my input on helping him design the next tyre he was looking at making…

No. You didn’t.

Email received yesterday…

Could I have a couple of those ‘trail extreme’ 29er Smorgasbord tyres please?

Cheers
    Ed

—————————————–
    Ed Oxley

http://great-rock.co.uk/

solman
    Free Member

🙂 🙂 🙂

timc
    Free Member

I used to think mboy knew his stuff till he tried to tell me about sales in the music industry (thats my day job), that said I’m still glad he offer his opinion

This liar liar thing could be interesting!

Is it a simple case of asking Brant, I need some 29er Trail tyres too please 😯

tazzymtb

From the 29 inches long term review, These guys are impartial, buy the stuff themselves and lots of different riders use the kit in different parts of the world, so no bias towards and manufacturer.

“Conclusions: The Smorgasbord hits on most all cylinders and the performance is high for most situations. On One stated that the tire’s main mission is “grip”, and I would say they have succeeded in that mission. This tire was hard for me to trip up and I never felt let down by the grip this tire exhibits on anything dry, loose, and hard to muddy, wet, and soft. But that isn’t all I liked about these tires. They hold pressure tubeless perhaps better than anything else I’ve tried. They measure what the hot patch says out of the box. Plus, they seem to be wearing well, as I am not noticing any accelerated wear issues with this tire at all.

If there is anything to say negative here, it would be in terms of rolling resistance, which this tire is a bit on the negative side here, but considering that the grip is so good, I think the trade off is well worth it. Then there is the weight. At 860-870 grams for my test samples here, they won’t win any hearts over with their mass. However; if you are not a racer, or if you just need an excellent trail tire for a wide range of conditions, look no further than the On One Smorgasbord. It will give you a lot of grip, and should be a pretty stout tire on most Trail/AM 29?ers.”

so in conclusion mboy must ride like a lady and would probably find a Surly Nate a bit sketchy 😆

brant
    Free Member

In the interests of transparency and fairness, my email stated that we could have “perhaps have made them squarer” but inspite of that we think the tyre “works great, and we have some good data and feedback and ‘this gave that result’ to do a Smorgy2.”

The On-One Chunky Monkey, a 2.4in trail tyre with much squarer shoulders (designed at the same time as the Smorgasbord, not a reaction to it), is now complete and shipping to us very shortly.

brant
    Free Member

This liar liar thing could be interesting!

I didn’t call him a liar. I take very slight (very slight) offence at his phrasing of “kinda made a balls up with the design of the Smorgasbord, and it hadn’t turned out like they’d originally desired it might, and was asking for my input on helping him design the next tyre he was looking at making…”

Which might be because I’ve not had my cup of tea this morning yet.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Well for the record I was given my tyres so you have to judge for yourself how independent I am. However I wouldn’t ask for some more if I didn’t like them. I’ve only used the Smorgasbord on the rear, as I’ve had a pre-production sample Chunky Monkey up front. I’m using the 29er tyres by the way and love them. The set up I’ve got is ideal for the kind of trail riding I do – Pyrenees, Alps, Hebden Bridge, Gisburn Forest, Lakes. I’ve been using them for about 8 months of wet and a bit of dry riding. The grip/rolling resistance balance seems spot on to me.

What’s the Smorgy2 then Brant and can I have another Chunky Monkey when they come out please?

DarrenH

Thanks everyone. I’ll get an order in today I reckon.
    Or can I blag a couple of freebies Brant? 😀 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

very interested in the chunky monkey.

To be clear, my views on the smorgy1 were that I found rear wheel traction on the SS a bit weak on the loosest loams and fine gravels round the Malverns and on the front it just didnt hook up gouge in quite how Im used too again on the wet/loamy stuff we have in some places here. Rocks , hardpack, and larger gravels it’s a great tyre hence I quite understand

The set up I’ve got is ideal for the kind of trail riding I do – Pyrenees, Alps, Hebden Bridge, Gisburn Forest, Lakes

…but it’s a bit less solid for the most part round here. But give me some shoulder knobs and I’ll be a happy monkey.

Paceman
    Free Member

Brant, what’s the intended use for the ‘Chunky Monkey’tyre?

… great name by the way 😆

matt_outandabout

I have nothing of value to add, just another random monkey pic carried over from another thread, and with tenuous links to this one.

DarrenH

😯 😆

mboy
    Free Member

I didn’t call him a liar. I take very slight (very slight) offence at his phrasing of “kinda made a balls up with the design of the Smorgasbord

Fair, and sorry, stuff gets lost in translation on internet forums. Didn’t mean it as a dig at all, was me just typing as I would speak (anyone who knows me knows that I don’t mean any offence by being abrupt, it’s just my way).

I do still think on a 21mm rim like my 521’s the Smorgasbord is still too round a profile to be ideal, but that’s for where I ride mainly. I did write about how well it gripped on rocks and hard surfaces even off camber, just felt that on either end on the slippery conditions that make up a good portion of most of my riding, they just didn’t have enough edge bite by some margin. Braking grip and climbing traction was pretty fierce though, and being a Maxxis construction you know the quality is there.

To be clear, my views on the smorgy1 were that I found rear wheel traction on the SS a bit weak on the loosest loams and fine gravels round the Malverns and on the front it just didnt hook up gouge in quite how Im used too again on the wet/loamy stuff we have in some places here. Rocks , hardpack, and larger gravels it’s a great tyre hence I quite understand

The set up I’ve got is ideal for the kind of trail riding I do – Pyrenees, Alps, Hebden Bridge, Gisburn Forest, Lakes

…but it’s a bit less solid for the most part round here. But give me some shoulder knobs and I’ll be a happy monkey.

It’s funny that though stoner and I have never met (to my knowledge) we ride similar trails, and had pretty much the same thing to say about the tyre!

so in conclusion mboy must ride like a lady and would probably find a Surly Nate a bit sketchy

Try one tazzy, if you’ve not already!

And come down to the Malverns or the Wyre for a ride sometime… I can show you about! 😉

I used to think mboy knew his stuff till he tried to tell me about sales in the music industry (thats my day job)

I made one comment, based on a few certain artists breaking it into the top 40 and getting a fair amount of mainstream radio play, and you shot me down in flames. I didn’t profess to know better than you, but I do pay attention the music trends. Of course, any electronic dance music (I HATE that term) is going to be marginal in sales volume compared to mainstream pop, but the point I was making is/was that the genre, whether you or I like it or not, is/was more popular than it used to be. Looks like it’s gonna die out as quickly as it came quite possibly too though!

Anyway, back to tyres… They’re a very personal thing. I really don’t get on with Nobby Nic’s. I find they have no real bite, they slide too readily, and though they’re quick and light for a tyre of their volume, they’re just not that good IMO. But then I love Rubber Queens and I know plenty of people who’ve had less than enthusiastic experiences with those. Also didn’t get on with my Bontrager XR4’s but know people that like them, and then tonight I was riding a bike with Maxxis Ikons front and back that gripped way better than they had any right to looking at the tread pattern etc etc. Too many variables to really read too much into other people’s reviews online, sometimes you’ve just got to try things for yourself!

tazzymtb

And come down to the Malverns or the Wyre for a ride sometime.

deffo up for that, i’ve got to meet young stoner for a gentle singlespeed pootle as well, i’ve even promised not to make him cry on the hills 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Im not sure Im ready to be tazzed. Will you be gentle?
    If I do, do I get a tattoo? 😉
    “Im Tazzy’s Bitch”

tazzymtb

how about a love bite and a black jack chew instead 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

no tongues.

Euro
    Free Member

mboy – Member

Too many variables to really read too much into other people’s reviews online, sometimes you’ve just got to try things for yourself!

If you’d have said that at the start instead of trying to make out you’re ‘Mr Tyre’ you could have saved a few thousand keystrokes (and a red face) 😀

Kryton57

Anyway, back to tyres… They’re a very personal thing. I really don’t get on with Nobby Nic’s. I find they have no real bite, they slide too readily, and though they’re quick and light for a tyre of their volume, they’re just not that good IMO… …Also didn’t get on with my Bontrager XR4’s but know people that like them Too many variables to really read too much into other people’s reviews online, sometimes you’ve just got to try things for yourself!

The latter statement being very true, and missing from most “what tyre” threads. FWIW I ride Nics all over the country (except the Malverns) and XR4’s on my SS. In my hands, for my style on my bike the Nics are far superiror to anything I’ve ever ridden before and I have the utmost confidence in them. I don’t find them slippery at all, and have even ridden through last years slop, snow and frozen grounds and on thier edges in suummer Wales / peaks for example, with no issue other than relatively fast wear on the rocks – which for me isn’t an issue as my local and predominant riding is SE forest loam.

DarrenH

Smorgasbords arrived yesterday and are now fitted.
    Looks good so far, nice and knobbly,
    nice amount of “stickyness” to the rubber.
    First test ride is a while off yet though 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone got these working tubeless?

Tried one yesterday on a UST rim but it was a pathetic failure.

Nick

Yes I have mine running tubeless on Crests, wouldn’t go up at first but ran them with tubes in for a couple of weeks then tried a gain. Worked a dream with a bit of soapy water to help.

ssboggy

Anyone got these working tubeless?

Fitted a pair to some Crests (29er) last week and they went up straight away, also they seem to hold air better when first fitted than a lot of tyres i’ve tried tubeless.

chakaping
    Free Member

Aha, I was thinking maybe pop a tube in to give it a bit of shape.

The bead naturally seems to curl away inwards from the rim.

Cheers

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got mine working ghetto tubeless, which is a technology i gave up on years ago…

they were a little tricky to get on, but they went up with a track pump.

i was honestly a little disappointed as i wanted an excuse to finish building my ghetto-inflater-bomb.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Out of ineterst, whats the weight on the folding versions? Says 750g on the site but not sure which ones this for.

Tempted to run this as a rear tyre instead of my Ardents as it looks very similar.

mboy
    Free Member

The one I had (26″ single compound folder) was 780g.

Found it better on the rear than on the front, but as I’ve already said, it wasn’t to my taste due mainly to the terrain I ride on mostly.

Should setup tubeless pretty well though being a Maxxis Carcass, though on a UST rim you’ll probably need a rimstrip too to pack it out a little.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘On-one Smorgasbords, any good?’ is closed to new replies.