Viewing 22 posts - 241 through 262 (of 262 total)
  • On-One Smorgasbord tyres
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

I have a few questions if anyone can help me out regarding this as a rear tyre.

How does the rolling resistance of the smorgasbord compare to Hans Dampf and Chunky Monkey.

Do they have the same low pressure qualities as the CM which I can run 10 psi front and 15 psi rear.

How predictable is the grip and does it mind being leaned on.

Also I would like to know how these compare to 2.25 Ardents

motozulu
    Free Member

I’ve got the smorg on the rear and chunky up front. The smorg is a fine rear tyre. Much lighter, better rolling than the chunky though not so grippy. It does slide out now and again but this always feels controlled to me. HTH.

RustySpanner

Seem to be lasting pretty well too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    edlong
    Free Member

It does slide out now and again but this always feels controlled to me.

This. I like the tyre not because it’s especially grippy, but because the grip (or lack of) is predictable – it lets you know in plenty of time when it’s going to slide, and when it does let go, does it gradually and progressively, rather than you going from riding along happily to sitting on the ground wondering what just happened.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

That’s good to know about the grip, how does the rolling resistance compare to other tyres?

wiggles
    Free Member

Got the CM and smorg combo on my bike recently both in dual compound flavour. Anyone else find the smorg a bit squirmy on the rear? Not sure if it was just a case of low pressure or just the softer side knobs but In the turns it felt like I could feel the tyre rolling laterally across the rim. More air added for next test, loving the CM on the front though.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve been running my dual compound 2.4 Chunky Monkey / single compound Smorgasboard setup for a few rides now so for anyone interested, here’s my concise review in comparison to my previous High Roller/Crossmark combo:

+ loads more grip/confidence on rocks and roots
    + ace in loamy conditions that are abundant around here at the moment
    + can feel the tall’ish carcass absorbing some of the hits whereas the old Crossmark had a reall tall carcass but instead of absorbing hits it either felt squirmy or like it was going to roll off the rim under hard cornering
    + silly cheap
    – noticeably more draggy on trail centre stuff vs my old setup but for the benefits mentioned above, I might just leave them on as the ride of the bike is improved greatly

In summary, the best tyre combo I’ve used, maybe ever. I’m not a serial tyre swapper but theres little to fault with these.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Do they have the same low pressure qualities as the CM which I can run 10 psi front and 15 psi rear.

Is it just me who thinks those pressures are a little low?

Some tyres I could take them off the rim by hand with 10-15psi in.

tightywighty
    Free Member

Really pleased with mine (dual compound). First tyres I’ve managed to run tubeless wihtout going out to the garage to find them flat after a week without use. Really good and cheap to boot.

iolo
    Free Member

Maybe it’s me but this thread seems like it’s had a funny bump
    EDIT: and 8 pages on a thread for tyres, really?
    EDIT2: the cynic in me might even think there’s a few container loads arrived oop north this weekend

BoardinBob

the best tyre combo I’ve used, maybe ever.

I’d agree with that. Ran a F/R smorgasbord combo last year which was great but now switched to CM front/ Smorg rear. Dual compound on the CM and “Enduro” compound on the Smorg. Draggier up hill but on anything else it’s superb. Giving me much more confidence on roots and rocks and the CM is great in the loam.

ahwiles
    Free Member

dangerousbeans – Member

“Do they have the same low pressure qualities as the CM which I can run 10 psi front and 15 psi rear.”

not just you. too low by at least 15psi.

iolo – Member
    …8 pages on a thread for tyres, really?

we’re hoping to challenge the headset thread.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Some tyres I could take them off the rim by hand with 10-15psi in.

The CM is the only tyre I’ve been able to run this low I have fairly wide rims.

Hans Dampfs I run 20 at the back 15 at the front. Even with HD 20psi at back when I land some drops and jumps or under high lateral loads the tyre squirms and spreads so much that rubs the frame on my El Guapo.

The HD does provide enough grip but it just doesn’t feel right I would prefer something better. As I love the feel of the CM I was considering SB but I would be reluctant to go for it if it has worse rolling resistance.

not just you. too low by at least 15psi.

How would you know without knowing what rims, what I weigh or my riding style?

iolo – Member

You are cynic if you look at my posting history you will see that I’ve been trying to work out what rear tyre to use.

ahwiles
    Free Member

fr0sty125 – Member

How would you know without knowing what rims, what I weigh or my riding style?

a wild guess?

10psi *might* be fine, for a non-fat front tyre, on a bike that’s ridden hard, if the rider weighs… what, 4 or 5 stone?

i wager 5pence that you’ve got a dodgy gauge.

brant
    Free Member

iolo – Member
    EDIT: and 8 pages on a thread for tyres, really?
    EDIT2: the cynic in me might even think there’s a few container loads arrived oop north this weekend

Your determination that there are evil hands at work is seemingly never ending. If you want to make up conspiracy theories, there’s plenty to go at with #mh370

Nobody at On-One, Planet X, or any of our contacts have “bumped” this thread, and your frequent speculation that we do is a source of much joy in my life.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Brant – leave the briefcase with the money in under my table in Mooch. I’ll wear a red rose. Used notes only please.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Got the CM and smorg combo on my bike recently both in dual compound flavour. Anyone else find the smorg a bit squirmy on the rear?

I tried the same combo on 456ti, tubeless on Flows. Mixed results:
    I destroyed the smorg on the first ride. 🙁
    In hindsight, I must have been kidding myself that I could have got away with such a light tyre on a hardtail, when I’d previously had to resort to tubeless dual-ply as default choice on the back of the Five, for riding the same stuff.
    The smorg did go up well tubeless but I felt the rim contact a few times riding up square edged steps etc before it gave up completely after about 5 minutes down rubble strewn descents. That would have been about 25-30psi.
    I’ve gone back to dual ply minion tubeless on the back.

loving the CM on the front though.

Yes, agreed. It’s massive. 2.4″ fills the fork bridge on a ‘zocchi 44 and I can only just squeeze a mucky-nutz in there.
    I didn’t like being run too soft though and burped on some descents at maybe 20 psi.
    >25psi and it’s been great.

kimbers

any chance will see all on-one tyres in the fat bike colour options?

bigjim

my eyes

danielgroves
    Free Member

I’ve been running the hard compound smorg front and rear on my 29er rigid SS. Found them to be fine, clear reasonably well in the mud through the winter, reasonably grippy and other have said, they’re predicable when they let go.

As the trails have been getting a coat of dust these last few weeks I’ve having some good sideways fun 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

My daughter will take a couple in pink if you wanna make some 16″ versions too.

motozulu
    Free Member

Just to add to this again, I run my S/S rigid with the Chunk/Smorg combo and it is brilliant. The chunk in particular soaks up the big bashes and the smorg is a really good foil to the chunk. I use the S/S on the Cannock cheekies, so mixed trail conditions. Absolutely cannot fault them.
    I remember when I bought them the blurb said ‘designed with UK trails in mind’.
    Does exactly what it says in the blurb.

Viewing 22 posts - 241 through 262 (of 262 total)

The topic ‘On-One Smorgasbord tyres’ is closed to new replies.