Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • On One Smorgasbord tyres, compared with most that are twice the price
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Do you get what you pay for, or do their dual compound ones compare well against £50 jobs from Schwalbe, Conti, WTB, blah, blah?

scotroutes

It’s On One so you never know….

big_n_daft
    Free Member

there was a post that mentioned geax goma £26 ISH

I’m testing the social media recommendation when mine land

tmb467
    Free Member

Preferred the Monkey meself

Smorg was a good enough back tyre tho – definitely worth the money

aracer
    Free Member

I like mine – haven’t got a lot to compare with, but it works as well as the similar weight Schwalbe I was previously using. My usage might not be quite the same as what most people are doing, but arguably running it at 20psi with 12st on a single tyre is more abusive than most.

njee20
    Free Member

Reckon I’d say the opposite, with all your weight on one wheel/tyre I reckon the tread pattern is less important.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I like mine too. They’re running tubeless on my Stans rims, no compressor needed. They wear pretty well, don’t suck on the road (99% of my mountain biking is from the door, so dictates a good 35 minute predominately onroad haul to start). The only little niggle really is the way the blocks have holes in the ends that pick up little stones and hold them in there. Weight’s good and they’d be good value at a chunk more than they’re on sale at for sure.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Smorgasbord is a decent tyre, Chunky Monkey is a fantastic tyre.

RustySpanner

A genuine bargain.

Great tyres.
    Grip well, large profile so very comfy.

Rounder profile than many others – if that suits you have nothing to lose and money to spend on something else.

Made by Maxxis iirc if that’s important.

justinbieber

They don’t last very long in the Lakes when run tubeless – the sidewalls are thin and I managed to cut 2 quite quickly. They were also an absolute bugger to inflate without a compressor. Cheap, but I’ve gone back to High Rollers or Mavic Charge and Roam

BoardinBob

Best tyres I’ve used. Ran smorgs front and back and chunky front, smorg back. They’re made by maxxis and are a real bargain

andymc06
    Free Member

Chunky Monkey’s go straight up with a track pump on Flows. I find them a little draggy but they have great grip a good high volume profile and are superb value.

BoardinBob

They don’t last very long in the Lakes when run tubeless – the sidewalls are thin and I managed to cut 2 quite quickly. They were also an absolute bugger to inflate without a compressor.

I’ve been racing on them tubeless all year and never had any problems. Never failed to get them inflated with a track pump. I run them at silly low pressures at times and they’ve never been remotely damaged.

Lummox

Streets ahead of specialized in my experience, run both monkeys and smorgasbord. The smorgasbord is a bit sketch as a front but great as a rear. I did run a chunky front and rear but the clearance wasn’t great so gone back to smorgasbord.

I’ve also rolled them off rim when used on flows although they aren’t tubeless ready.

In summary excellent tyres, not convinced they work well as tubeless. But compared to maxxis etc offer fantastic value.

mactheknife

For the rear the smorgasbord is a fantastic do it all tyre. I banged one on tubeless about a month ago and have ragged it round Torridon, Fort William and local stuff and it has done it all with aplomb.

Chunky Monkey again is a belter of a tyre for the front. I had one on for most of last year and it never let me down.

gamerriley
    Free Member

29 smorg on the back here. Seems good in all conditions, running it tubeless, no problem getting it inflated.

DeeW
    Free Member

Like mine in 29″ flavour. Chunky Monkey is a bit bigger with deeper tread and looks to be a better front tyre though. I ran a front CM at the megavalanche without pinching or burping. Good balance of soft compound and wear resistance.

james
    Free Member

“the sidewalls are thin and I managed to cut 2 quite quickly. They were also an absolute bugger to inflate without a compressor”
    +1
    Couldn’t get mine to seat with a track pump on an ArchEX
    Used mine on the rear for one day tubeless, then had to swap wheels and ran tubed for a further 4 days. Since tried to set them up tubeless again (back on the archEX) and found they’ve split around the bead, just so I can’t try to patch them
    Only other tyre’s I’ve ever had go at the bead were Kenda Nevegals

nickjb
    Free Member

Smorg at the back and Chunky at the front here. Very happy with them. Roll ok, grip well and seem to be wearing ok. The chunky is a little snug in the forks.

aracer
    Free Member

with all your weight on one wheel/tyre I reckon the tread pattern is less important.

I’d tend to agree that the tread pattern and grip is relatively unimportant for me (mainly because I’m not doing anything all that fast), which is why I didn’t mention it. Decent strength in the carcass though, and rolls and handles predictably. Wasn’t actually expecting to be all that impressed and have been surprised.

votchy
    Free Member

Which type do you guys use, enduro or trail extreme? Same with both chunky monkey and smorgasboard or different each end?

matty456
    Free Member

Got smorgs on rear and chunkys on front of 26er and 29er hardtails. Can’t fault them for £20 each and running tubeless! Got enduro’s on both bikes, had trail extreme smorgs front and rear, found them a bit too grabby, to be honest I don’t think there is much between them.

Duffer
    Free Member

I ran 29in CMs front and rear on my Inbred. Unfortunately, the rear was a little too big, so i had to replace it with a Smorg instead. I’ve not done huge amounts of riding with them, but they seem to work well, and they hold up very well at a low pressure (currently 18ish psi in the front, 15 stone rider on a rigid bike).

Contrary to the above, they’ve all effortlessly inflated tubeless with a track pump. In fact the CM i briefly ran on the rear inflated just as quick as it would have done with a tube. (Velocity p35 rims, if that makes any difference)

Cheezpleez

CM front, Smorg rear. V good combo and easy to inflate tubeless IME. Just a tad lardy.

tymbian
    Free Member

Had a CM front & Smorgasbord rear on my 26, fantastic combination at any price. They don’t like sand or grass though ie draggy. Haven’t tried in 29 yet.

bones
    Free Member

Was just about to order a CM for the front, but looks like my 622x17c rim is too narrow 🙁

retro83
    Free Member

I really like mine, and they tubeless very easily.
    Even when i let the tyres go completely flat for a few months (nightmare house move), they reinflated with just a track pump, rim bead still locked in.

richardthird

@bones, yes I think so. My 19mm was borderline, now 23mm which is fine.

CM F, Smorg R, both Enduro folding, tubeless on Bonty Rhythms w/compressor.

So impressed I now only run PX road tyres too, which are also brilliant and cheap (Rage K)

scandal42
    Free Member

I love my CM on the front, it’s a great tyre for smashing through the rough stuff and just stays on target. It is bloody terrifying if transitioning onto a muddy spot, the wash out is lethal.

I need a new rear and am juggling between a Geax Gato (great) and a Smorg.

kimbers

When will the 650b monkey be available tho ?

TimP
    Free Member

I run a CM on the front on a Mavic 717, and haven’t died yet

BoardinBob

I asked them on facebook about 650b versions. Not at the moment was their reply 🙁

chrispo
    Free Member

Top-of-the-range Smörgåsbord blew up tubeless with just a gust of wind which was nice, nice sticky compound, seems quite tough, a bit heavy and feels a bit draggy on smooth stuff, but got me right across Wales pretty quickly without any problems

Ideal winter training tyre for natural stuff on the SS I think

kimbers

yeah i ran a cm on a 717 for ages and it was fine, till I tacod the wheel…

pictonroad

Smorgasbord enduro is as good as anything I’ve had on the back for 1/3rd of the price on sale. It’s a big volume tyre so be aware of that.

Goes up with a track pump every time and the sidewall has survived where other have cut up. (probably luck more than anything.)

be aware, they have a lot of sipes cut into them so they do drag on the road but it’s a price worth paying.

norbert-colon

Will these run tubeless on Mavic UST Rims?

Anyone tried?

Cheers

BoardinBob

I’ve got them tubeless on Stans rims with no problems.

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone tried?

Yeah, 26in and 29in both work great. Though I have a compressor.

The 26in smorg took a few of the normal tricks to get up and sealed with a track pump, but they’re good as gold once up.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Anyone tried?

Have run smorga’s on 719’s, 819’s, flows and i23’s and all of inflated with a 20p compressor no problem. Stunning tyre for the money.

norbert-colon

Thanks folks.. might have to have a try then 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘On One Smorgasbord tyres, compared with most that are twice the price’ is closed to new replies.