Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • On One Smorgasboard Enduro why not ?
  • oldfart

Need some new tyres for Spicy , was going to stick with High Rollers 26 x2.35 60a folders in single ply . Best price I can find is 28 sniffs from Stif . Then I spotted these same compound also folders but £12.49 each !!!! So what’s the catch ? Heavy , draggy , non grippy ? Anyone tried them ? Spill the beans friends ! They will be used in Moab in September so I thought at that price….. At home it’s a couple of times a month Quantocks Exmoor etc etc

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Been riding with them and a chunky monkey, they are as grippy as the high roller st/ minion dhf st combo I hadon before, but the rolling resistance, and wear, is less, . Been running with tubes, but not had any punctures as yet. Absolutely no complaints as yet, even considering getting a couple of pairs while the price is so low.

leythervegas
    Free Member

excellent tyres.ran them on my c456 at trail centres and on my singlespeed on xc rides and roll pretty fast and are very grippy.

Toasty

Chunky Monkey front + Smorgasbord rear is the norm combo, really rate them. Bit hefty but no more so than a lot of similar sized tyres, don’t even find them that bad rolling resistance wise personally.

They both go up tubeless very easily as well.

dandax1990
    Free Member

Great tyres for the price, really good all rounders. I run Smorgasbords front and rear unless very muddy conditions which I’m getting a Chunky Monkeys to throw on the front.

They roll really well too and hardly noticed any wear on mine after 4 months of use.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Chunk/smorg here too, on 719s. I wouldn’t fancy a smorg on the front, quite a round tyre. Folding went up tubeless easy as and the ‘eckso’ gives me peace of mind in’t Peak.

Great value, a little draggy but grippy when it counts. Weight is a little tubby but fine when compared to other reinforced tyres of a generous size.

Would be nice if they a more defined shoulder, but I guess they’re not in that family of treads. Cheap n cheerful.

seavers
    Free Member

Pretty sure there is a thread on here where they are universally slated.

retro83
    Free Member

for £15 an end they’re brilliant. I had £45 an end Nobby Nics before, and they seem somewhere between those and HRs/Minion DHRs.

Went up tubeless easy as anything too.

Edit: mine are the £15 dual compound ones

mboy
    Free Member

Pretty sure there is a thread on here where they are universally slated.

Myself and a few others shared experiences of their less than favourable (subjectively of course) performance in soft, more conventional UK conditions.

I did find that on hardpack and rock they offered plenty of grip though. For a trip to Moab they’d be superb for the money. There are lots of better tyres (IMO) better suited to a typical UK winter (or even last summer!) though…

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’m happy with mine, running the standard compound folding ones tubeless on Stans rims on my Ti456. Used them on a variety of terrain, from the 40min road ride up to the trailhead and then rocks, roots, loam, hardpack, gravel and other stuff off road. More than happy – even if they’d cost more. I used Maxxis HR 2.1 for a number of years and I wouldn’t go back.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the dual compound Enduros on my Inbred that have done lots of miles with no major visible wear since January.
    That bike tends to get commute duties and transpennine trail type stuff, no serious stuff but a lot of varied surfaces. They’ve had mud, ice, snow, rain on pavement, grass, rock and baked earth and no real unexpected behaviour.
    Tubed, around 40psi and only puncture a pinch due to my bad on first fitting.
    I do find them draggy compared to a CX but not compared to other 26ers.
    ‘Other 26ers’ = 2.25 Cinders and a 2.35 Hans Dampf Evo Trail/Pace combo on Spicy and Chameleon for reference. The Dampfs are awesome and my personal favourite but a lot more money even from The Germans.
    I’d say the Smorgasbords are a bargain with the caveat that I haven’t really hammered them on singletrack or descent, but that’s more the bike they’re on.
    Tyres are personal.
    At that price, why not get a pair to try and stick them on the hack if you hate them?

oldfart

Thanks folks bought a pair. At less than the cost of one HR got to be worth a go . Have to put up with weight penalty

winch
    Free Member

What sort of thickness are the sidewalls on these compared to say, a Hans Dampf?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘On One Smorgasboard Enduro why not ?’ is closed to new replies.