Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • On-One smoothie lower bearing – what size and where from?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Need a lower bearing for my smoothie – shit sealing!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If it’s the 1.5in bottom bearing, Superstar do one for £7.99

if I recall correctly it’s the 45×45 degree one

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=61

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Just removed the fork – which took some persuasion. Bike has been built for 16 weeks at most. Lower bearing is rusted into the cup, balls are rattling around in what is left of the cage. Inner face is stuck on the crown race! WTF have i paid for – this is a bag of shite – sealing must be tracing paper at best!

scotroutes

I guess warranty is out of the question as bearings are “wear” items but there has to be a “not fit for purpose” option.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Will give them a ring in the morning – it’s not even a cheap headset at £40 really

speedstar

Crap i’ve just bought one of these to fit to my straight steerer in tapered headtube. This doesn’t bode well at all! Also did you have a gap between the crown and the bottom cup? I can’t get mine to seat onto the crown even with proper pipe for fitting..

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes to tiny gap 0.5mm ish

brant
    Free Member

If unhappy please return for full refund.
    Pop my name on it.
    Sorry.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I will do my best to get it out and send it back – where do i send it to?

twoniner
    Free Member

The one in my fatty went the same way in about the same time. I dropped the forks out to clean and grease and the whole lot came apart, bearings all over the place.

I called on-one and just got told to but another lower race. I went FSA instead.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I sent mine back. Its on here somewhere. Pile of poo. They sent it back to me saying it was wear and tear after a dozen rides. I bought Mr Torchy Torchy bearings and have much better sealing. Smoothie bearings with teabag tm sealed bearings.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I am not convinced the inner race will come out of the cup to put new bearings in tbh

speedstar

Did you grease the bearings up n all? Maybe a stupid question but I want to rule out any potential for user error! I certainly applied a liberal amount of grease.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yup as always

brant
    Free Member
    leythervegas
    Free Member

mines also just gone but to give a bit of balance i’ve had it for 16 months and used it for commuting every day in rain and mud as well as big rides at the weekends. i can’t complain really!

twoniner
    Free Member

I never got the option of returning when I contacted on one. Just ‘buy another here’s the part number’

What remained of the lower bearing was stuck in my frame too, I had to get a long screwdriver and go in from the top and tap it out. A bit cowboy but it did the trick.

speedstar

yup as always

balls

rob-jackson
    Free Member

is the superstar bearing better sealed or is it a problem with the cups

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Thread hijack… Twoniner, which FSA one did you fit to your (now mine) fatty? It appears to have gone the same way as the on-one – don’t suppose you know the angles and sizing do you?

nbt

first: I applaud Brant’s customer service on this thread,

second: why the hell should you have to add grease to a SEALED bearing when BRAND NEW. I’m not an engineer, please enlighten me

johnnystorm

As a matter of course I never assemble anything dry unless it’s into carbon. With my Fargo there’s a hole through the headtube inside where the gusset is welded between head & downtube. Lovely area for water to flush through the headset the wrong way. The grease isn’t for the bearings as such as just where components sit in the same place for any length of time.

brant
    Free Member

second: why the hell should you have to add grease to a SEALED bearing when BRAND NEW. I’m not an engineer, please enlighten me

because the grease acts as an additional sealing medium and helps keep muck out, but this isn’t indicated in any literature so I don’t blame anyone for not trying it.

dannyh
    Free Member

I think I might be needing a new lower bearing for my 1 1/8 inch smoothie regular soon as well.

So, did anyone discover what the code for that bearing would be, please?

I agree with Brant on the grease question, though. So long as the parts aren’t minute and so impaired by loads of sticky grease (like hope freehub pawls and springs), then packing in a load of grease just seems like common sense to me. If grease oozes out when you press two parts together, then that means there is no room for that grease. It follows that there probably isn’t any room for anything else as a result (water and grit for example).

Obviously grease degrades over time, and you might get a bit coming out as time goes by, but it’s much better than having to buy expensive components more often than absolutely necessary.

Anyway I digress. If anyone does know the code for a lower bearing of a smoothie regular, please can then post it here?

brant
    Free Member

Just email me Danny with your last sales order number. I will send you a new one.

swanny853

Pretty sure I had this one-

The fitted bearings must have gone downhill because the one I got lasted two years before replacing

dannyh
    Free Member

Just email me Danny with your last sales order number. I will send you a new one.

Cheers, Brant.

Email on the way!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Can you send me one for my 1.5″ lower bearing please

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘On-One smoothie lower bearing – what size and where from?’ is closed to new replies.