Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • On-one slot drop issues?
  • pistol10
    Free Member

Hi all, I’d appricate a little advance, I own a onone slot drop out singlespeed 26″ (becoming a rare item). I am struggling to maintain chain tension. I have converted a mavic crossride rear wheel to a single speed and fitted a chain tug to both sides. However the chain tug don’t pull quite enough tension. I also use a single speed chain.

Dispite my best efforts the chain still slacks sufficiently to slip off. It’s driving me nuts as I just want to go out and ride hard without thinking the chains going to slip any minute.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Nobby

What chain is it? If you can’t get enough tension with chain tugs then it is probably best to drop a link out and put a half-link in.

Charlie the Bikemonger may have them or, failing that, shops that have a big involvement with BMX (Winstanleys for instance) will have them. Search out a Gusset slink link.

Edit: The chain ring may also be an issue – if it’s a standard one then it’ll be ramped & pinned to aid shifting which doesn’t help with SS.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Is the front chain ring elliptical, so the chain slacks and tightens every revolution?

pistol10
    Free Member

If I take a chain link out it is to tight in the slot. I didn’t now you could get half links! Is it worth trying a SRAM 9 speed chain instead?

pistol10
    Free Member

The front chain ring a one from on one and is single speed specific with no pins etc.

Nobby

A 9 speed will have the same length links. My SS On-One has a half link as I had similar issues to you.

Nobby

Half Links

1/8 for SS/BMX chains or 3/32 for 8 or 9 speed.

pistol10
    Free Member

Thank you! Any advice on get a bolt through axle single speed rear wheel? I don’t want to spend the earth but I think this would be a good investment.

Nobby

Never bothered myself but there’ll be enough options out there – not sure if there’s a conversion available for the Crossrides.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘On-one slot drop issues?’ is closed to new replies.