Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • On-One Slackset. Any Good?
  • RUSHER4

It’s headset bearing replacement time on my [steel] 456. Has any one fitted one and was it better /worse /same? Thanks in advance.

Northwind

I’ve got a couple- well, Works Components but it’s the same part re-logo’d. Very good- does what it says on the tin really, made in the UK if you care about that, and works better than the Cane Creek Angleset while costing less.

Had a 2 degree one in a Carbon 456- you’ll only be able to do 1 degree I think? And on balance it was an improvement, fair bit better on the way down, slightly better at climbing, not quite as good in tight stuff or on the flat but then it wasn’t that good at that anyway.

Only downside I’ve found is that mine both go through top bearings a bit- I think the flat top of the headset encourages water to pool there and get past the seals, or something. Never had a headset go through tops faster than bottoms before.

andeh

I’ve had one sat on my desk for a few months. I’m waiting till I can be bothered to make the arduous trip to the nearest competent shop, which is about 20 miles away :/

granny_ring

Much cheaper those On-ones are too.
    1 degree one in my 5spot and it feels better for me.

JoeG
    Free Member

I have a Works component 1-1/8″ x 1 degree. Good quality machining and cartridge bearings. There was a noticeable change to the bike’s handling, too. I’d buy again.

LBS said that it was difficult to fit as it has to be aligned on the frame’s centerline. It wanted to twist in the headset press. The mechanic is really picky (good) and they did get it installed. No problems in 1 year +.

andeh

Do you think that if I took the bike and headset to the On One HQ in Rotherham, they would fit it for me? Bit closer than the bike tree in Sheffield.

brant
    Free Member

We could fit that for you, for a charge of course. They are a bit of a bugger to get in but just takes time.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bit like headsets in Carbon 456s are a bit of a bugger to get out, eh Brant?

andeh

Brant, any idea how much we’re talking? I didn’t expect it to be free 😉 I really don’t want to entrust the task to Halfords, they’ll no doubt give me one degree of lateral slackness.

ads678

On one usually charge a tenner for headset fitting when you buy a frame?

Was thinking about one of those for my old Orange Five. would it alter the seat tube angle at all, or will it just put an extra degree of slackness on the forks?

Northwind

ads, the change in head angle steepens the seat tube up slightly and also lowers the BB. But neither by very much, I’d be lying if I said I could tell even with a 2 degree reducer. (as you roll the fork forward it becomes slightly longer but less tall)

Oh aye- I fitted both of mine with a rubber mallet 😉 Tried to use a “proper” press but it tended to rotate the cups a little. Measure twice, hammer many times.

ads678

Cheers NW, might have to give it go.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘On-One Slackset. Any Good?’ is closed to new replies.