Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • On One Scandal – Good race frame or what else is there??
  • skiprat
    Free Member

Been getting fitter after a steady few months so I'm looking at going racing again. Looking at getting a hardtail with approx 100mm front travel. Been thinking about a On One Scandal. Looked on the website and they have changed them!! Are they cheaper now that they are no longer Scandium tubing?? Are they any good now?

If not a Scandal, what else would you look at? Not looking at spending loads!!

Cheers Chris

KINGTUT
    Free Member

They are still Scandium and they are awesome, I got mine last week and I'm running it as a SS, it's rejuvenated my desire to ride MTB, it has a nice aggressive low front end weighs a 10th of **** all and goes like a rocket.

For £200 you can't get better IMO, I'm even considering buying another to to replace my Rush.

oldgit
    Free Member

Scandals good VFM, others are the evergreen Kinesis, Orange EVO8 and my choice the Giant XTC, they've finally dragged it up to 100mm, sorted the mud clearance and slackened the HA by a degree.

Bedds
    Free Member

Scandals are incredible bikes IMO I've built mine up with light stuff, currently 22lbs, my riding has improved no end since I've had it

tinsy
    Free Member

Just doing exactly the same, funny I noticed they dont bang on about the scandium on the slot dropout one now for sale at On One.. theyre is still the Team tig SLs at Merlin for £209 and thats stupid light too.

Is 7046 Scandium?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Edit, my mistake they are not Scandium anymore they are 7046 Alu because of anodising problems apparently, although the Scandium frames were never truly Scandium just Alu with a smidge of Scandium thrown in, don't let it put you off they are good, really good.

tinsy
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack skiprat but its all Scandal related, I got 125mm forks to run on mine I am hoping the Scandal has pretty much the same gemetry as my Tinbred had that got knicked (had the same make fork on that), am I about right?

cynic-al
    Free Member

geom info is on the website

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack skiprat but its all Scandal related, I got 125mm forks to run on mine I am hoping the Scandal has pretty much the same geometry as my Tinbred had that got knicked (had the same make fork on that), am I about right?

I have Reba Uturns on my Scandal and I upped them from 100mm to 115mm to see what it felt like, it was horrible add another 10mm (in your case) and I dread to think what it would be like.

It's a race frame designed around a 100mm fork IMO 125mm will be too much and **** up the handling.

tinsy
    Free Member

mmmm, so it is, says 80-100mm forks, thats fine pretty sure the Tinbred was the same it still felt good with the Maverick SC32'S on it, and thats what I have on my donor bike, so thats what I will run…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If it's what you are used to then go with it.

skiprat
    Free Member

Thanks for that, will be putting an order in next week!! Had an Inbred and liked the way it rode. Still got some of the parts so looking forward to building one up.

Going to make it nice and light! Did just wonder with the tube issue why they had stopped using Scandium and gone on to 7046. Cheers KINGTUT.

jfeb
    Free Member

80-100mm is for the 29er. Brant, with his old hat one, had previously said on here 26er Scandals are OK up to 120mm

thomthumb
    Free Member

80-100mm is referring to the 29er.

the 26 is same geo as slot dropout inbred – so should be 80-130mm forks.

i'd also be looking at kenesis maxlight frames.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I stand corrected, I'll try mine again at 115mm

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Oh and here is a snippet form Pro-Lite about 7046 Alu..

At the other end of the spectrum lies the entry-level Cuneo road frame, made from 7046 aluminium. Pro-Lite claims the relatively infrequently used alloy offers a stiffness-to-weight ratio comparable to scandium enhanced tubesets but at a fraction of the price.

Hence the cheaper price.

tinsy
    Free Member

Cool, post a pic when its doen Skiprat.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

A bad photo of mine, arse up, head down Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap…

njee20
    Free Member

My stock recommendation was the Hasa carbon frames on eBay, but they seem to have disappeared, which is odd! Perhaps they come in waves

They looked great: €400 for a carbon frame, basically an unbadged Massi/Full Dynamix frame, 1300g. Worth looking out for.

Carlos13
    Free Member

I just finished building up a singlespeed Scandal. Only ridden it once so far, so can't really comment, though I really enjoyed the first 20-miler I did yesterday. They build up quite light. Mine is 21.5lb without paying huge attention to light parts. I think it could be made sub 20lb if you wanted to throw a bit of money at it.

Crap photo, and I know I should cut down the steerer, but I don't want to in case I swap the forks to another bike.

Spec is:
    – Reba SL forks c/w cheap 'n' nasty red decals from ebay
    – Mavic Crossride wheels, Nobby Nic front, Racing Ralph rear
    – Race Face Turbine cranks, 32t ring, Shimano UN91 square taper BB, 16t rear cog
    – Avid Juicy 3 brakes
    – Ritchey carbon bars, Ritchey alloy stem
    – SDG I-Beam micro post, Bel-air saddle
    – XT SPD pedals
    – Surly Tuggnut, various Hope frills.

tinsy
    Free Member

Got myself a 2nd hand non slot dropout one… looking forward to swapping all the bits over onto it..

skiprat
    Free Member

Damn you Tinsy!!! 😉 lol where from??…..Got anymore??

Carlos13, that looks very nice!! Any probs fitting the Juicy 3's to the rear end now the mountings on the chain stay?

Carlos13
    Free Member

Hi skiprat, no problems fitting the brakes at all, but I think the routing of the hose (across the bb and along the downtube) means you need a longer hose than normal. The hose on mine is just under 1300mm and it's fine, but I probably wouldn't want it to be much shorter (18in frame).

skiprat
    Free Member

Cheers Carlos, will be needing an 18" too so thanks for that.

tinsy
    Free Member

skiprat, put a WTD in the classifieds last week… I wanted the conventional placing for the caliper as have a 180mm 4 pot brake and have no intention of SS, and if I did, I have nothing against tensioners, rekon its about the same faff for slot or a tesnioner, just a slot is a little better looking for SS..

cp

arse – when i posted looking for one a couple of weeks ago, there was nothing 🙁

tinsy
    Free Member

I geuss after have my Tinbred and my wifes bike I just built nicked I was due a bit of luck… 🙂

skiprat
    Free Member

Just put my add in wanted, if nothing comes up in the next week, it'll be a new one.

skiprat
    Free Member

I'll let you off then tinsy 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

My shpelling is parnts today… you can buy them on the bay from the states for £350!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘On One Scandal – Good race frame or what else is there??’ is closed to new replies.