• This topic has 52 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by td75.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • On One Pompino
  • CraigW
    Free Member

Went out for a little ride in the rain today.

td75
    Free Member

Whats the Pompino or Pompetamine like compared to the Surly Cross-Check. Do they ride similar? I’ve been thinking of getting a pompino, but I already have a spare Cross – Check frame in the corner not doing much.

Del

i’d expect so. i had a pomp that felt too big for me, so moved the frame and fork on, but kept the rest, which i promptly stuck on a cc frame in a size more suitable for me. am sort of thinking about gearing the cc and getting a pompet frame and fork and moving everything back over.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    paul4stones

Craig you must be very flexible. And strong to pedal that gear in hilly country! 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Great bike

monkeychild
    Free Member

I miss my Pompino 🙁 I wish I had never sold it!!

_tom_
    Free Member

Some nice looking bikes on here. Here’s one from a different forum that I really like, apart from being fixed and brakeless. I’d love to have a bike like this, looks so fun for ragging around roads on. Just can’t really justify selling my geared road bike for one now!

footflaps

Great bikes. Used mine as a winter trainer, when I was racing. Now it’s just my commuter / hack bike.

On-one Il Pompino (My commuter) by brf, on Flickr

simon1975

I love my Pomp for off-roading around Notts (and sometimes Peaks when I’m in the mood). Initially ran canti brakes but got myself the disc fork from the Pompetamine when they started selling those, for which I built those lovely blue wheels.

Goyt Valley Pompino by Simon J Taylor, on Flickr

I’ve wondered what I’ll replace it with when it dies, and will probably end up with another the same. I’ve found I can only get away with 32mm CX tyres but the latest frames are supposed to take more?

STATO
    Free Member

Whats the Pompino or Pompetamine like compared to the Surly Cross-Check. Do they ride similar? I’ve been thinking of getting a pompino, but I already have a spare Cross – Check frame in the corner not doing much.

I swapped to a CC from Pomp frame, all the bits remained the same so it was a good comparison. The CC feels a little heavier than the pomp and not quite as nimble as the pomp, but the CC is still very good. The CC is also a lot more comfortable IMO, the on-one fork used to batter my wrists and the CC fork is lovely in comparison, the back end is also more comfy on the CC. Remember, steel may be real, but not all frames are the same. Saying that, id quite happily go back to a Pomp, id just not run the on-one fork.

Also worth noting the CC will take bigger tyres if you want to and come in bigger sizes for the tall folks.

D0NK

I’ll try to Join the Pompino love in, trouble is mine is my hack commuter bike, full guards, ss road gearing, mini v brakes, never taken it offroad. Have done a couple of muddy sustrans style paths, sketchy on 23c at 100psi but didn’t die? Nice but i’ve not really given it the opportunity to wow me. Erm dependable I guess, bit lardy but that’s as much down to cheap components as gas pipe tubing, might upgrade it to a pompetamine for discs in the future. Also wanna try it CX style but as someone said the other day on the commute thread “don’t **** with the transport”

footflaps

I’ll try to Join the Pompino love in, trouble is mine is my hack commuter bike, full guards, ss road gearing, mini v brakes, never taken it offroad.

Mine is the same see ^^^

td75
    Free Member

I swapped to a CC from Pomp frame, all the bits remained the same so it was a good comparison. The CC feels a little heavier than the pomp and not quite as nimble as the pomp, but the CC is still very good. The CC is also a lot more comfortable IMO, the on-one fork used to batter my wrists and the CC fork is lovely in comparison, the back end is also more comfy on the CC. Remember, steel may be real, but not all frames are the same. Saying that, id quite happily go back to a Pomp, id just not run the on-one fork.

Also worth noting the CC will take bigger tyres if you want to and come in bigger sizes for the tall folks.

That’s a great comparison thanks. Just got to decide now if it’s single speed or gears. Still wouldn’t mind trying a Pompino or Pompetamine. Is there such a thing as having too many cross bikes?

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘On One Pompino’ is closed to new replies.