• This topic has 26 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by akira.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • On One Piccolino – Kids Fat Bike
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

My eldest has outgrown how Isla Beinn 20 so I’m looking at next-size up bikes.

On One 40% off sale means the Piccolino is only £240. Seems good value, but I know the downside is weight. Funnily enough, its not mentioned anywhere. Anyone literally picked one up?
    Is it worth it as an investment and then to try and lose weight from?

There’s no doubt they look cool, but are they a bit too much BSO to be taken seriously?

FWIW, he’ll be using it to come on decent rides with me. This was last Easter:

prawny

You can take 40% off the £240 too so it’s only £143 I tried to convince the Mrs that the youngest needs one but she probably a bit too small for it yet.

I like that t hasn’t got a grip shift, the eldest really struggles with his.

Northwind

I like that, but I always think the same thing about these, I have 2.5 creepy crawlers on my tpro and they roll like a brick.

(is it an actual 20 inch 2.5? Mine are for a 20 inch mod trials rim, ie 19 inch, maxxis don’t advertise a true 20 x 2.5… So that could cause trouble with swaps… But maybe there’s a 20 x 2.5 OEM one that’s not on the site? In which case it could also be a different construction and compound and less draggy I suppose…)

jamesy01
    Free Member

You can take 40% off the £240 too so it’s only £143

You sure? Starting price is £400.00, then less the PXPPP40 discount code is £240.00…

prawny

Yeah saw it on the chase trails FB page so I tried it myself, it worked at the weekend anyway, could have been a glitch.

trout
    Free Member

Got one for my grandsons birthday so just weighed it on the bathroom =scales
    came in at 27 lbs
    lovely ikkle bike cant wait to see his face in 4 weeks time

johnnystorm

Isn’t it virtually identical to the Genesis Caribou Jnr?

tom200

Has it got normal hub spacing? I am thinking it would be a good buy if you could swap the wheels out to some 24″ ones.

v8ninety

It’s a lovely looking bike; I’d be really keen to hear peoples experience of these. I notice that it is in a section of the On One site named Kid’s bikes; Are On One going to produce more little’uns bikes do we think? I’d be well up for that; with two little’uns who love their biking, finding good quality but not excessivly spendy bikes is a tough dad job.

wiggles
    Free Member

How about the specialized riprock?

v8ninety

How about the specialized riprock?

That also looks awesome, but IS £110 more spendy than this Piccolino (currrently).

Just looked at the Genisis Caribou Jnr, wow, it IS similar. I thought at first it was the same frame rebranded but there are a couple of differences, if you look closely. And £160 cheaper, too.

What are the bosses on the forks for? Surely not a bottle rack?

rossburton
    Free Member

Bosses on the fork are usually for racks, but putting luggage on a kids bike is a little harsh!

The Caribou has twist-shift which I find far better for our kids, but maybe that’s just a personal thing and can likely be retrofitted anyway.

wiggles
    Free Member

Main reason I think the riprock is worth it as it has specific tyres for a kids bike, rather than (as mentioned above) super grippy draggy trials tyres.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Saw a bloke at cannock a month or so ago. His two small kids had one each to match their dad’s and they’d been out round there. Neither kid was crying…

womble321
    Free Member

Does anyone have any more info they would like to share

epicyclo

I think they’re a great idea, but I can’t help thinking that less fat may be better for a kid and still offer sufficient “float”.

A wide rim with a 20″ (or is it 19″) trials tyre would probably give comparable float for the light weight of a kid as a full fat for an adult.

The full fat kids bikes are going to be more tolerant of not keeping tyre pressures checked which I always found to be the biggest hassle with kids. They’ll get on and ride a soft tyre and wreck the tyre and tubes, then the bike gets stuck in the shed and ignored.

But no matter, there’s going to be some kids growing up with great cycling muscles. 🙂

hoke
    Free Member

You’d be correct.

20×2.1 tyres run suitably low pressures and at such will offer just the same ride characteristics for the 3 stone weight and strength of a 6-7 yr old child.
    There’s absolutely no need for a “wide” rim or discs either.
    but #fashion :'(

Kids should be out wheelying and skidding in the street/park with their mates at that age. Not bimbling along miles of beach with their dull fatbike obsessed forgotten the fun of building a sandcastle Dad.

johnnystorm

I’m assuming the bosses on the forks are for cages so that when you buy dad and junior caribous you can both have fork mounted cages. If Oo have bought the framesets from the same supplier they’ll be the same.

hora
    Free Member

Anymore thoughts

sq225917
    Free Member

The fork mounts are so you can attach generators to the frame and have them pedal to power your big plasma tv as you watch the new Top Gear on BBC 2.

They are similar to the Genesis but upspecced in quite a few areas, headset, shifters etc.

aracer
    Free Member

The big issue I see which nobody else seems to have touched on is that if your kids have outgrown a Beinn 20, that isn’t really much (if any) bigger, so isn’t going to last them long. Especially if the tyres/rims are actually 19″, in which case the rolling diameter is pretty much the same as the ones on your Beinn – even if they are standard 20″ then they’ll only be marginally bigger wheels and I doubt you’d fit a 24″ wheel in as somebody suggested up there.

You’re surely better off going to a 24 – or even a 26, which is what my oldest is now on having moved to that from a Beinn 20. Personally I regularly ride a 20(19)x2.5 and a 26×2.1 and whilst they’re on completely different beasts, there’s no way the 19″ wheel rolls better through anything in the way a fat tyre supposedly does.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve only just come back from a trip away, but just in case it isn’t already posted, the blue version is £233 is the latest DFS sale that I think ends tomorrow (Fri 25th Nov) night.

hora
    Free Member

Realistically what age is best on this? My son’s a tall 6yrs old on a Benin20L

chivalry
    Free Member

i was looking at this but ultimatley paid a bit extra and went for the specialized riprock… no idea if i made the right choice.. 🙂

akira

How you getting on with the riprock? Bit gutted they’re not bringing over the better models with air forks and better spec. Tempted to get one and then listen it up a bit and upgrade it.

chivalry
    Free Member

not arrived yet,, and there both xmas pressies for my boys.. got a 20″ and a 24″, but all the reviews and research ive read on them says nothing but good things.. i know i wish id have something so cool when i was 8!!!!! lol 🙂

akira

Have a look on US spesh website at the two models above the base model, very shiny.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘On One Piccolino – Kids Fat Bike’ is closed to new replies.