Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • On One Midge or Mungo for Singular Gryphon?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Which is generally considered to be most suitable?

kcal

“On One Gryphon” — er, this Singular Gryphon ?

slowjo
    Free Member

Lol…hence the hurried correction 😳

kcal

kind of appropriate though 🙂
    Can’t help though fella – Cowbells on my Peregrine, not sure what well-equipped Gryphon riders have…

Midge isn’t /too/ far away from my Cowbells – the Mungo is that much more flared out? and at only £9.99, worth a punt.

OCB
    Free Member

Which is generally considered to be most suitable?

Yes, but it depends. 😉

This’ll be a rubbish reply, but good luck in maybe picking the bones out of it …

TO me – the Mungos feel like a really, really shallow drop bar.

A while ago I got moustache-bar-curious, so swapped Midge’s for Mungo’s on my Condor Fratello, and liked it so much, that I’ve just done the same to my Peregrine. The Peregrine is noticeably different – it feels like it’s up for even more of an adventure now. I’d had Midges on the Peregrine for years, and found them great, but the Mungo’s seem to suit it … or more accurately suit *me*, better now (I should add that I’ve been dealing with a some chronic joint damage in my neck for the last couple of years, which makes a more upright posture on a bike more comfortable than a lower one, so I suspect the bars work ‘better’, as they help with that).

As much as I rate the Mungo’s on my Fratello and on my Peregrine, my Gryphon will be staying with his Midge’s, as for me, the Midge’s suit the Gryphon perfectly, and I can’t see the Mungo’s working with the Gryphon’s geo (given my posture, and how I use my Gryphon) – I kinda sit more ‘in’ my Gryphon than on it, like I do on my Peregrine, but clearly, that’s just a view …

Nipper99
    Free Member

Luxy Bars if you can find a pair. I am also liking Soma Junebug bars at the moment.

phone 035 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

YoGrant
    Free Member

When I had a gryphon I put normal shallow road drops on but 46cm ones. They were great and didn’t look sheeeeeite like all those flared bars.

ratadog

Used both in the past, albeit on a Kaffenback. As above, it depends. If you are used to drop bars but find the standard road bars too deep for comfort or function on a Gryphon then the Midge is your mouse. They allow use of road brake/shifters without their position being too far out. They are probably nearest to the Luxy’s from what I have read as well.

Mungo’s to me did not feel like a variant on drop bars, they are obviously shallower and road brake/shifters were a lot less ergonomic as they were splayed out close to horizontal. However, I found the position of my wrists a lot easier with a lot less strain on my back once I got them at the most comfortable angle, in my case sloping down about 10-15 degrees from front to back.

birdage

Probably not much help but tried Midges and Cow Bells, and Cow Bells are much better for me on my Swift.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘On One Midge or Mungo for Singular Gryphon?’ is closed to new replies.