Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • On One Lynskey Ti456 and Inbred help!
  • mnutt
    Free Member

Hi guys, was hoping someone could clear up this issue for me. I currently ride an Inbred 26 with 120mm forks and have got my hands on a Lynsky 456ti frame which I’m just about to chuck in the bike shop to get the frames swapped. The thing is I love the riding position of the inbred and thought the geometry of the bike with the same setup would be exactly the same but I have read a few posts that cast a bit of doubt in that. I really just want a fast xc bike and was just hoping for a bit lighter more forgiving ride with the ti. Any thoughts? Your help would be greatly appreciated before I waste time and money getting this done.

Wally

Having had both, I think you are onto a winner. But I would measure the old bike – seat height, reach and build up the new frame myself – set up to old measurements and then ride it like I stole it.

Remember new bikes/frames will feel different for a little while, but you will get used to it. That “Oh not like my old frame” is not always an instant no no.

However my old Ti456 vibrated with rear brake like a french horn through my plumbs in an unpleasant way – A shimano smooth rotor mostly sorted out the problem. I hope you have the later rear brake braced version.

mnutt
    Free Member

Thanks wally, thats good to hear. Would love to build the bike myself but not got the skills i’m afraid and wouldn’t like to ride owt i’ve built !!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hold frame A against Frame B and see what the difference is

mnutt
    Free Member

Sorry missed your last line, mine doesn’t have the brace but thought that the issue was well over exaggerated.

convert

I had an unbraced one. Never noticed an issue with brake vibration (I had hope brake on it with floating rotors). Mine also did not break whilst I owned it and as far as I’m aware is still fine now. Nice bike – I was just not gnar enough to get enough out of a hardtail frame intended for a bit of rough and tumble and went back to a FS. It was at it’s best when it had a 140mm Pike (old version) fork on it.

br
    Free Member

I’ve got both, in the same size.

When I built up the Ti version from the parts off the steel one there was a difference in geometry – only noticed as my saddle was at a slightly different angle. And we are talking ‘slight’.

FWIW the steel one is comfier when going slower, and the titanium comfier at speed.

mnutt
    Free Member

I’m surprised at that, thought the titanium would be more comfy all round. Is there much difference at slower speeds?

zbonty

I went from a 2004 ish 18″ Inbred to a MK1 Ti456! The original one is now my commuter, in daily use and my most ridden bike ever. The Ti456 was my only mtb for the last 6/7 years until a month ago but will be getting built up as soon as i get another set of forks as its a fantastic frame/bike.

I have only ridden it with 140mm forks (Magura Thors) and its been great. I did, however break mine after a couple of years and it went back to the factory for a brace to be fitted. As with anything second hand-buyer beware. Maybe it will never break (it has’nt done yet), maybe it will next month. Depends what it has cost but they’re great frames to ride.

In terms of fit, any bike will feel different and take a little time to adapt to. I’m not a serial bike swapper who constantly upgrades and obsesses about geometry. Incidentally, when mine went back for repair i swapped every nut and bolt over to a Sanderson frame which was awful in comparison. Inbred to a 456 should be a tasty upgrade!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

the 456 is longer and slacker than the classic inbred, bit more ‘trailey’ but would still ride well as an xc bike

br
    Free Member

Is there much difference at slower speeds?

You don’t buy a 456Ti to go slow 🙂

Best bike I’ve ever had, still got it – use it for winter nights and all-day XC.

I had mine built up light when living in the south, sub 23lbs. Now built more sturdy with big tyres and a 150mm Rev.

ratadog

I started with one of the original 456 complete bikes and subsequently got one of the braced 456Ti frames and swapped across. As far as I remember all the major bits swapped across. I think I needed a different seatclamp and chose to replace the crankset although the original would have fitted.

I seem to remember that the geometry of the Lynskey 456 was identical to the original steel 456, certainly it felt very similar just lighter and a bit more forgiving. As stated above, the 456 geometry is slightly different to the original inbred but I’ve used mine happily for days out and MTB Orienteering.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘On One Lynskey Ti456 and Inbred help!’ is closed to new replies.