Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • on one is this normal
  • khani
    Free Member

built this as a general tw***ing about bike with stuff out of the garage and ebay and it rides realy nice, but the head tube is very short and i need about 45mm of spacers to bring the bars up to the right position, its a 18inch frame, the seatpost looks long but its still below the min insertion line (400mm post) i tried a 20inch but it felt like a gate and this feels right, normally ride 19inch frames (soul, 5spot) with 10-20mm spacers on the steerer tube
    so on owners anyone else with the same

Doug
    Free Member

That looks like a 16". The head tubes are really short hence the high rise stems on the on one site. This allows you to run a short fork with a high rise stem or a one several inches longer with a flat stem and keep the bars in the same place.

pitduck
    Free Member

hello 😀

khani
    Free Member

definatly 18inch, or so the tape says

ton

i thought it looked smaller than a 18''.
    looks nice tho…enjoy.

khani
    Free Member

hello pitduck 😆

khani
    Free Member

just checked again in case im going mad defo 18inch, if it was 16 id need to weld some more seatpost on
    im leggy

druidh
    Free Member

Regardless of what size frame it is, it's obviously too small for you.

Inbreds do have a long TT, so I can imagine that the 20" might have felt too "long".

All that proves is that you need a different frame altogether, one which isn't as long for it's height (if that makes sense).

Doug
    Free Member

Have you had your tape measure calibrated recently?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What druidh and Doug said.

You've bought the wrong frame IMO.

khani
    Free Member

only against the other one
    just wondering if anyone else's is the same

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Also minimum insertion lines on seat posts only apply to the post, make sure you have at least 1 inch of post below the seat stay / top tube welds, if you haven't you'll break the frame.

allthepies
    Free Member

Is that snow on the top of the saddle.

khani
    Free Member

told you im leggy 😳
    it rides realy nice, seatpost do's look loooong but as i said its still below the min mark
    but the headtube is tiny

KINGTUT
    Free Member

it rides realy nice, seatpost do's look loooong but as i said its still below the min mark

As I said that applies to the post not the frame, as above check the amount in the frame.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Each to their own and all that, but that bike looks wrong IMO.

khani
    Free Member

the post go's lower the the seat/top tube

druidh
    Free Member

I love it when someone posts on STW, looking for advice, and then completely ignores what everyone is telling them…..

Bez

Bar height's just personal choice – I've got a pair of 18" Inbreds with at least that much seatpost showing, and with sus forks I use a 100/0 stem and with short rigid forks a 110/25. Shouldn't worry about it – yes the head tubes are short, but it gives you the choice of how to set it up provided you don't mind the aesthetics of the spacers.

I never cease to be amused by the folks who will quite happily and quite wrongly tell you you've bought the wrong sized bike until they're blue in the face 🙂

Bez

I love it when someone posts on STW, looking for advice, and then completely ignores what everyone is telling them…..

Go on then, if your advice is well-founded then I guess you can give us the OP's inside leg, arm length, height, level of flexibility, and a quick run-down on his riding style. If possible, accompanied by your thoughts on why a 20" must clearly be right for him despite him having actually tried one and not liking it.

You can do the same for me if you like, because having owned and ridden a couple of 20" versions as well as having owned two or three 18" ones, my thoughts are the same.

Doug
    Free Member

This is a 20" frame.

This is an 18" frame.

Yours is a 16".

khani
    Free Member

[/quote]I love it when someone posts on STW, looking for advice, and then completely ignores what everyone is telling them…..

not ignoring any one, just wondering if any other on one owners have the same thing with their bikes
    Bez-thank you i'm not alone then,

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that looks smaller than an 18". Where are you measuring from and too? Have a look at On One's website – the sizing guide there (take a look at the geometry tab) to get an idea, but the angle of the seatstays looks too shallow for an 18".

Also, I'd reiterate the need to have the minimum insertion way down the seat tube on such a frame – as you've got a lot of seat tube going above the top tube.

This is a slot dropout 18" Inbred.

To me, it looks like the angles in the rear triangle are different. All four sizes of Inbred share the same head tube length, and as someone else has said, they're designed to run a high rise stem, or low rise stem and a longer fork – but I'd be a bit careful having so many spacers at the front too. The bike looks nice, but the frame looks too small for how you have it set up, IMHO.

Woody
    Free Member

This was my 16" and initially it felt right but after a few miles it was definitely too cramped. I'm the opposite to you ie. relatively short legged 31" and 6'1". I'm now on a 18" 456 summer season and it's the first Inbred that I've actually felt comfortable on having previously had 2 x 18" Inbreds, 1 x 20" Inbred and the 16" 456 below.

ps those stackers are not very pretty. I've a PlanetX 130mm x 35deg stem from previous experiments which would look a lot better for only £8 posted 😉
    [edit] BTW yours does look like a 16" ?

khani
    Free Member

center of bb to top of seat tube is 18 i've measured it 4 times now with 3 different tapes and a 1 meter metal ruler

khani
    Free Member

that red one looks very similer
    off to garage again

warpcow
    Free Member

No way that's an 18". After looking at mine and some of the others pictured I noticed that the TT on 18" seems to join the seat-tube slightly below where the seatstay does. Your's are the same height and the angle between them is far less (or appears to be on picture) than on an 18".

Bizarre that it measures as 18" on the seat-tube when it doesn't look too long against the rest of the frame. Is this an elaborate post-April Fool April Fool? 😉

khani
    Free Member

i am a funny shape, 5.11 34 inside leg
    i look better in stockings than the mrs (only on a sunday :lol:)

timdrayton
    Free Member

definitely a small frame (16") your tapes wrong

beb

i've got a 16" summer season and agree with the others yours in defo a 16".

Looking at on-ones website, they seem to measure the vertical height of the seat tube (dimension E in link below), not the centre to top, which might explain it.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO456/on-one-456-frame

I was about to say, get the size up and put a slightly shorter stem on it to get the reach the same, but just noticed on on-ones website that both thw 16" and 18"s have 105mm headtubes, so that wouldn't raise the front end.

So, as someone above said, if you don't like all the spacers only option is a higher rise stem.

khani
    Free Member

probably, they are all old

Woody
    Free Member

Ok – just nipped out and taken this shot of the 18" 456 summer season. I initially queried the size of this as well as I thought I'd been sent another 16" by mistake but it's spot on built up. 😀

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The OP asked if it was normal – answer – yes if you've bought the wrong size 😉

Northwind

Regardless of whether it's a size S or size M it definately looks like a size Wrong.

Here's a small Scandal built for a 5'10 rider with 32 inch inside leg:

chainslapp
    Free Member

As everyone else has mentioned, that is definitely a 16" frame.

khani
    Free Member

its a funny shape if it is a 16 (which it probably is reading above posts) it do's look different to the 18s above, i tried a medium 17inch soul and a 400mm post was'nt long enough to go up to peddling height and i got a L 19inch thats perfect with a 400post same with the 5spot
    are on ones a funny shape then because thats a 400post and it go's up to peddling height ok and the post is still in the frame below the seat/tt juntion
    not a 456 btw its a old inbred 80/100mm fork version thats had new stickers/paint

iain1775
    Free Member

MY friend 'Coco' has an 18" frame for tw*tting about on as well but his is a nice shade of red-

druidh
    Free Member

Y'know, looking at the seat stay/top tube/seat tube intersection has got me wondering.

This is my old 16" Inbred (also an older 80/100mm model.

Note that the seat stay joins the seat tube above the top tube join. Yours seems to join at the same height

mboy
    Free Member

Note that the seat stay joins the seat tube above the top tube join. Yours seems to join at the same height

A Trait of the 456 as opposed to "normal" and 29er Inbreds, rather than a trait of the frame size…

Khani, yours is a 16" frame by the looks of things, not an 18". I'm a similar size to you, at 5ft 11 with a 33" inside leg, so I always need a long post too, minimum 400mm post on a 16" frame and at least a 350mm post on an 18" frame in order to get the saddle the correct height.

On the bar height front, there are 2 options to ditch the spacers and get the bars at the height you want them, both of them buck current fashion trends though… Get yourself a high rise stem (not my personal preference), or get yourself some nice 3" rise bars on there!

khani
    Free Member

it do's indeed join at the same height and your one clearly dos'nt,
    like i said it rides nice so i'll see how it go's

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘on one is this normal’ is closed to new replies.